1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-8 Chamber Repair Who's Best

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pete F (PA), Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete F (PA)

Pete F (PA) TS Member

I have a top single with deep ring at brass end.
    If I shoot higher brass shell it gets stuck.
    Also it dosn't like steel base shells
    Who's best @ sleeving or plating?
    Thanks ,
    Pete

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bet it will cost more than the barrel might be worth-- but I would check with Briley and or Simmons gunworks in KC

this is not a job for small timers

Gene

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Interested in how this happened. I have a Perazzi with 400k rounds through it and have not seen this problem. I also have see the Army Gun that has 1,000,000+ and there is no problem.

Tom

4. g7777777

Or back bored --

I think Mike is right on the mono block is nearly always ruined

Now -- and I should have mentioned this before- you can always make it into a single barrel- just cut off and plug the damaged barrel-- at least you come away with something

This is not the type of damage you want to fool with because a pressure breach in that area can either injure you face or hands or the shooters next to you- much worse than a blowout at the muzzle

Gene

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Pete

Last month, Briley sleeved my K80 unsingle barrel that had a problem similar to yours. Total time was less than two weeks including shipping both ways. You only need to send the barrel, not the complete gun.

Cost is $275, plus shipping. They did an excellent job.

6. g7777777

Mike good point but I have seen backbored barrels that went into the chamber- obviously someone that didnt know what they were doing boring in the wrong place, and off the barrel axis- where it thinned the chamber wall

I have also seen backbored barrels that have rings in the barrel itself from the backboring- again boring off the axis and thinning the steel as well

Maybe that type of stuff doesnt happen any more

I agree when it is pressure related that the monoblock is usually damaged

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

The majority of chamber groove ring problems that I see are from corrosion or scrub wear from corrosion on the case head. This may have the appearance of pits around the deeper groove area, that happens to be directly at the point of the front edge of your low-brass section on a AA hull.

A ring can also develop in absence of pressure problems when barrels that are not solid (monobloc or threaded onto an extension) have a small gapping between the liner area of the barrel or a loose thread fit that allows room for a slight expansion until the metal fits more closely to the main backing material.

This would be in the first section of the barrel (for threaded sections)and likely look like a ring or rippled section, due to uneven thread profile of the extension and/or barrel stub. A monobloc can have overcut areas where a silver-solder ring was laid in place to be melted and affix the sleeve section of the barrel to the bloc.

A typical situation seen on economy guns is a tiny line or gap where the liner sleeve section stops shy of the rim edge because the factory bored the liner section to less than the rim depth in the bloc. Guns in general can also have ring gouges in the monobloc hole from a tool picking up a chip when dull, and consequently drag the welded-on chip for some distance and creat an overcut until the chip snaps free.

Any of these situations have the potential for repair, and I prefer to make the sleeve from barrel steel with a very close fit to the hole, and use a thin section when working with cosmetic issues. A thicker section may be used when wanting to add substantial strength for pressure or potential fatigue issues.

Here you can see the ring clearance cuts on the breech sections that enter the monobloc.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/?action=view&current=armsport-6.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

This is a slanted view of chamber ripple rings in the threaded area of the barrel and extension.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/?action=view&current=u63JPGcrop.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

This view is more in line with what you would see when looking straight down the bore, but with the focus more on the forcing cone area than at the chamber rim edge area. Notice the off-center nature of the factory forcing cone?

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/?action=view&current=u66JPGcrop.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Have you looked at the special articles at my website that show factory and aftermarket defects in choke tube installation? Those that choose to remain uninformed, do so at their own peril. Do you really want to miss seeing a barrel almost ruptured, with a split and ring bulge in prominence, and in COLOR? See article 3 and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed, at least not as much as the barrel owner was.

Kirby

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The chamber can be re-sleeved. I charge $150, and go only about one inch deep. I've done about 25 this last year.

Most of the chambers I see, had at one time some rust development in them. This, along with firing a shell, eventually erodes a depression where the brass/steel head is.

Using tol steel or stainless, is probably a "toss-up". Stainless will help with the flash rusting that can occur, but 4140 tool steel will be stronger. Remember, the sleeve/bushing/ring, isn't very thick.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.