1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-3 Not firing the second barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolar12, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

An MX-3 that I own decided to not shoot the second shot in doubles. The main spring is not broken or cracked. The tree is the larger one designed to shoot .410's. The tree does not appear to be binding and will cycle manually.

When a second trigger is installed, everything is fine. Sugestions?

2. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

Could be the over sized inertia block is hitting the inside of the stock and not letting it come back to reset the second shot. Next time it happens before opening the gun pull the trigger and see if the tree is set to fire the second barrel or not.

Rick

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have two double release triggers for my MX3. On the spare trigger, the top of the inertia block had to be filed down a little because it was restricted from moving against the safety.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike has it right. The .410 inertia block is not only larger, it is taller as well and more than likely hitting the bottom of the safety retainer. To make sure, take the stock off and cock the gun. Pull the first trigger and then lightly pull the inertia block back. Pay close attention to where the top of the block meets the safety. I would bet it is touching. A dead giveaway is the fact that a standard Perazzi trigger works just fine. The standard inertia block is smaller and has more clearance..... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I took a better look, thanks to your suggestions. It did look as though it could have been rubbing on the wood. I think a bigger problem might be the hight of the tree. Trigger on the left is giving the problem. If you look close enough on the single picture, there is a wear mark on the top left,
    Trigger037.jpg

Trigger035.jpg

6. kolar12

kolar12 Member

kolar12_2008_0303.jpg

kolar12_2008_03031.jpg

After a close inspection, I found the plunger part of the tree has this groove worn into it. It did make the tree hang up. I also took a very small amount of metal off of the top of the tree. I polished it by putting the part in a drill and using 400 grit paper. I will get a replacement part at some point in time.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You mentioned that the "tree" is taller. Do you mean the Inertia Block? If you do in fact mean the Tree, then its height is important to prevent it from sliding forward too far.

I'd file down the top of the left inertia block if it is hitting the under side of the thumb safety area. Look in the stock cavity too for ANY signs of wear.

The groove in the Connector Plunger is probably a result of the forces applied to the inertia Block due to the conflict in the hitting as mentioned above. The Inertia Block is trying to recoil back, it fighting with the safety area, and forcing the Connector Plunger into the Inertia Block. It is then bottoming out, and this is causing the wear mark you show.

I have seen some Inertia Blocks in the shop where the shooter or someone has install a small rod piece above the coil spring to make the block stop in its reearward direction. These instances also produce the Connector Plunger wearWhiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.