1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-2000S / MX-12 , I have 3 questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I understand that this type of receiver has a non-removable coil spring trigger.

1. On average, about how many thousands of shots can be fired before the springs deteriorate to the point of needing replaced?

2. Can springs and firing pins be replaced by the user without special tools?

3. Overall would you say the MX-8 and the MX-12 receivers are about equal quality and reliability?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I had a beautiful MX-12 for years, until a dedicated Sporting Clays shooter bought it from me. He realize the barrel switch is located at the easiest & safest place (on tang safety). And he doesn't have to carry a back up trigger or springs.

1) To answer your first question,

My beloved MX-12 still has original springs in it since 1982, never missed any of the 10,000 primers I pulled the trigger on.

Our four time Olympics medalist Kim Rhode's MX-12 has over 1,500,000 rounds through, Perazzi did three "preventive" spring changes during it's life, this became famous "Lost once then returned" MX-12 is still going strong.

2) To your second question, You'll need a modified plier to change the coil springs. Perazzi does not include it with the gun like every other coil spring guns from any other makers.

3) MX-8 & MX-12 receivers are build the same way in the same shop using the same steel and same type of CNC machines by the same group of workers, no differences in quality. Except MX-12 went through engraver's hand for it's border, trigger guard, and forend iron.

3. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Steve

Is there any difference between an MX2000/S and a MX-12 ??

thanks, ernie

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Ernie, they are the same gun with different engravings.

MX-12 has hand engraved borders, top tang, trigger guard, top lever, and forend iron.

MX-2000S has machine engraved beautiful full (MX-2000) pattern.

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Steve, thank you for the info..

I have always found the basic simple engraving on the MX-12 extremely attractive !

ernie

6. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

The trigger pull gets lighter with rounds fired. At about 40k, I was down to about 2.5lbs on each barrel. An easy fix with new springs (Dan@Giacomo). A very reliable design! You will not regret your purchase.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.