1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-2000 frame, trigger, and forend iron

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mbaruzzini, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbaruzzini

mbaruzzini TS Member

I am seeking an estimate for the price of a Perazzi MX-2000 frame, dropout trigger, and forend iron with matching serial numbers. The claim is only 100 shots have been fired and the photos look good (I am reluctant to purchase a gun or pieces of a gun that I have not seen in person). I am relatively new to the world of high end trap guns and any advice would be helpful, i.e. is it even a good idea to build a gun from pieces. I am aware of the significant cost of barrels and wood, but my thought is that piecing the gun together will allow me to select the parts that I want. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matthew Baruzzini

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You don't say whether the trigger has an external sel. trigger or not. W/ respect to piecing together a gun, it is the expensive way to do it. If the trigger is not sel. I think 3000 is high in the present economic mess we're in.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

MX10 receiver and iron.. excellent condition but used $1750.. late model..over 135,000 as new.. $2250.. add $750 for as new matching virgin trigger.. pull/pull.. good MX-8 under 125,000 $1500 with iron.. Iron alone.. any cat4 $650/$750 VERY hard to get right now.. Your area may differ.. but this is pretty much what I'm seeing..

5. mbaruzzini

mbaruzzini TS Member

I am not sure, but it looks like the trigger does not have an external selector. I think I might offer the guy $1500 and see what he says. Once again any opinions are apreciated.

6. joehunter

joehunter Member

Is the reciever nickeled or blued? I think Mike is right on with his pricing. Just the reciever and iron without the trigger are probably worth more than $1500.

Joe

7. mbaruzzini

mbaruzzini TS Member

The receiver is blued. No doubt that this is worth more than $1500, but I am supposed to make an offer. I figure if I start out low I may get a deal.

Matt

8. joehunter

joehunter Member

You never know til you ask. Good luck.

Joe

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Matt... For what it's worth, there is a difference between an offer and an insult. Mike is real close on his pricing. I know, for a fact, that a Cat 4 forend iron, alone, will bring $750.00, if you can even find one. I think a better offer would be starting around $2000. If it were mine, and I was offered $1500 for it, unless I was facing jail, or some similiar fate, I would absolutely refuse to deal it to you. But, that's just the way I am. While we are all looking for the "bargain" of the century, you are dealing with one of the most premier, and sought after trapshooting items. Figure out what it's actually worth to you and offer that amount, and stick to it. The old addage here is treat others as you would like to be treated.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

If you don't buy it, pass my email on to the seller; I may want it.

Thanks

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Matt, a little over a year ago I bought a very good used MX-2000RS 34"/35" combo to replace a shorter combo. I decided to keep the barrels to put on my receiver and part out the rest. I sold the receiver, fore-end iron with wood and trigger to people on this site. I received a total of $2900 plus shipping for these items. The buyers were very happy with the price they paid and what they received. I had hoped for more, but was happy to sell the items quickly.

As far as building a gun from parts, no problem. As long as you stick with late manufactured items, you'll have no fit problems, or very few.

I bought my MX-2000 Nickle new, but wanted a 35" MX-15 barrel on it. No problem. The dealer just switched barrels. I bought a set of 32" O/U barrels from Giacomo for it. It fit perfectly and he timed the ejectors. When I bought the 34/35 combo, I sold the O/U barrels to a gentleman on the west coast. He had just purchased a brand new MX-15. The barrels dropped right in, fit perfectly and even the ejectors were timed properly.

The 34" O/U and 35" unsingle barrels I kept fit on my receiver perfectly. I swapped the ejector rods and the timing was perfect. The only thing I had to do was have a new locking block installed. The receiver you are considering is brand new, so if you go with newish barrels, you won't even have to do that.

The advantage of buying used barrels is you get to test fire them first. That way you know what you are getting before you commit. I asked for a three day inspection period (which was graciously extended to 5 because or rainy weather). I shot the barrels and knew they were properly converged, and all three shot to the same POI. I think if you stay above serial number 129xxx for all the parts you buy, you should have no problems.

12. mbaruzzini

mbaruzzini TS Member

Thank you everybody for all your help, unfortunately someone has committed to buying. If the sale falls through I am first on the waiting list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.