1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-15 Info Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

There was a good looking and reasonably priced MX-15 (serial number about 112,000) with nice wood, adjustable comb, adjustable recoil pad, chokes and case at the Grand. Not being one to pass up a good looking gun at a fair price I had Giacamo look it over and they gave it a good bill of health and I bought it. Can anyone give me any pointers about the use of this gun with the adjustable rib which is new to me. I have been shooting an MX-8 and an MX-3 that I bought from MIA recently. How are they different and what should I consider other than the obvious about pointing it the right place.

Any pointers are apprecialted.

Doug

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

In the owner's manual there're instructions about using the factory adj. rib. If you didn't get that with the gun, call Perazzi USA with your ser. # for a copy.

Basically the adj rib is for you to line up the rib with your comb adjustment.

The rib adjustment will not change your POI by itself, your comb will. The rib adjustment is to let you see the beads are stacked if you prefer.

Remember you must adjust equal clicks at both ends of the rib.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doug.. was that the one you talked to me about..??? It was a real nice gun.. clean.. and tight.. Did the man tell you I said it needed a locking bolt?? He looked like a ghost when he saw my shirt..but for the life of me..I don't know why it took so long to sell.. Or.. did you buy Raffiel's MX15?? It was a nice gun too.. and similar money.. All Good.. Mike Remember.. if it's the one I saw.. change the top lever return spring.. when you change the bolt..Unless we did it for you already.. I lost track of the names.. just did the receiver work.. then Dan did the timing,trigger.. and checked out my work.. NOTHING leaves Giacomo's until Dan goes over it.. It's check.. and recheck..

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Bryce, you're certainly correct in your statement. What I meant was, the principle design of this adjustable rib feature is to match up your adjustable comb, so the shooter would have a preferred sight plan.

In most cases, if you move the rib low in front & high in back without move up the comb, one will not see the front sight anyway, and by that time, the shooter will realize he needs to move up the comb, so it's only a matter of which moves first, it's a fool proof design, they'll all get to that point either way. I'm just prefer to do it the right way by moving the comb first.

The adjustable rib is not for changing POI by itself, the relation of shooter's eye (from the stock) and the barrel axle will determent POI.

5. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks to everyone for the good information. I will get the gun to Giaccomos for service as soon as it passes through California customs (sometimes it seems like a foreign country out here in the west)in a couple of days.
    doug

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

This Citadel fellow may have more P guns than me.

7. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

MIA,

Is this your MX15? Did you just buy this gun? My wife was really looking at this gun. I noticed it was sold. If it doesn't work out for you, could you please e-mail me.
    Thanks, Jeff

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doug.. You have a PM..

9. citadel

citadel Active Member

MIA, Jack I am just learning from you. Your recent post looks like the gun that was just offered for sale on Trapshooters. It looks like you bought a beauty. A real good buy, congratulations,

Doug
    PS the MX3 set you sold me is great.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Doug. That is the one. Classy guy, the seller. Man of his word facing demand he did not anticipate. The tranaction is almost complete. Get th gun soon.

Doug, the tricky things with these guns is the rib setting and someone has already addressed that. In my case I will shoot the gun at about 80/20 or perhaps in 100% POI ala Harlan Campbell. And it turns out that one of Harlan's primary instructions is to see the bird over the bbl prior to moving the gun and then making a lateral move to the target. Seems I can do that and not crossfire (as much). And As I set this gun up, I will take pictures of how I do that and post the pictures. It requires some quality time at the pattern board at the Minneapolis Gun Club. We have a steel plate and I make aobut 9 to a dozen cross hatches on it wiht a magic marker, set the rib where I would like it to be and then try and find the comb setting that corresponds. Often that requires a subsequant rib change and start over. But I think I know where the rib should be and then the comb is easy and the net effect is a fig 8 and a 80% obove the crosshatch pattern. This is all done on the Neil Winston 13 yard method. If you have not learned that as yet, it is one of the valuable things that a trapshooter that changes guns often can learn.

And yah-ah... Teh MX3 is a gem. As a sidebar, I have been shooting .040 choke on mine and have jsut now send tthe bbl off to Briley for chokes that produce a patterna ndnot a bullet. Ordered up a .020, .025, .030. Prob iwll leave the .025 in and shoot it till I drop. But likely I will shoot the MX15 all winter and be used to that when the next season starts. Adn just one more note that woudl be of interest to you since you have a proclivity to buy and change guns... Always keep your best trigger and stock on MX and TM guns. Never sell those when you trade. They are the key to adjust ing to a new gun quickly.

Your bud, Jack

11. Art D

Art D Member

I been shooting a MX15 I bought from Giacomo (dan)for 9 month,and would not change. I resently sold my MX 8 Special. I found out that if you have the gun fitted,you find you need very few adjustment. We pattern the gun and adjusted the rib and have not change since then, 9 month ago. My average has gone up and also my yardsge. The MX 15 shoots as well as any Mx2000 for alot less money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.