1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-15 barrel Questions - POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Remingtondon, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remingtondon

Remingtondon TS Member

I have an MX-15 barrel that shoots really High! By the book from Perazzi if the front is set in the top notch and the rear in the bottom notch it should be 50 / 50 or just a bit below aim point. This barrel is at least 8 to 10" high at this point and I see all the rib between the beads. I tried setting it at 3 and 3 and the pattern is off the board 14 - 16" high. Can the rib be lowered at the contact point in the center to adjust for this or what do you do to lower the point of impact. I'm thinking a figure 8 sight picture will never happen. Any ideas or solutions?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I did not read so well. You have the book.I thought it was pretty strateforward.

3. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

MIA,it would be great if you would download the book.I don't have one for my old 15 and could use it.Thanks

4. JACK

Hmm. I have another item from when I had mine. I'll get that.

[​IMG]

Ok. I had mine set in the middle. These are Neil Winston 13 yard pellet strikes on the board. I had a figure 8.

5. JACK

Chipped. I will. Too, if you send me an email, I'll send you the scans of the book. Here ya go. They might be out of order. But you'll find your stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's see how this looks.

6. JACK

Don. I'm not saying it is you, but from my experience the rib functioned as it was designed. I was set on the 4th diagram from the left. I think my pattern board conf it somewhat.

7. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

MIA........YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

stubs got it right. Here's how to do it the easy way. Set the rib to the 50/50 position- top front notch, bottom rear notch. Then take all the spacers out from under your comb. Mount the gun. If you are looking flat down the rib, beads buried, you are good to go. If not, add spacers until you do. The idea is if you move your eye an iota down, the rib disappears. Raise it an iota and you start to see a slight amount of rib.

At this point I take the gun to the patterning board and shoot for POI at 15 or so yards. 13 works fine as well. If I'm dead on my POA, I'm shooting 50/50. Remember the amount of spacers under your comb. That is your base pack. You will never use less hight, only more.

Now that you've established your 50/50 settings, go by the Perazzi manual. For every notch you lower the front of the rib, add 2mm worth of spacers under the comb. You have to do this in order to see the rib and beads. If you raise the front a notch, take 2mm spacers out from under the comb.

Most people like a figure 8 bead arrangement. If you do, add 2mm of spacers to your base pack. You won't be shooting 50/50 anymore, but so what. You'll be about 2" high at 40 yards. For each notch you lower the front of the rib plus add 2mm of spacers per notch, you raise your POI by 3" @ 40 yards. That's really the best way to think of it.

BTW, the changes are additive. Let's say you decided you like fig-8 beads and added 2mm spacers to your base pack. This lets you adjust the rib and the comb independently to fine tune your POI. Each notch on the rib changes POI about 1" all by itself. The 2mm of corresponding spacers change it by about 2". So you really can dial in the POI to anything you want in 1" increments. For most people 3" is close enough. If you feel this way, stich with the book and add or subtract 2mm for each notch (depending on direction). That way you'll always have the same bead relationship.

This may sound a little complicated, but once you do it a couple of times, it all makes sense.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that MIA. I have a 35" MX2000 single barrel with 5 notches that doesn't quite shoot high enough. I may have to trade for a MX15 6 notch.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

stubs is correct, moving the comb is the key to change POI, adj. rib is basically let you have the option of your preferred sight picture.

MIA/Jack my friend, is that a copy right infringement? :)

Setterman, IMO, the easiest way to accomplish what you want is move your comb up by 1/8", you'll see a little more rib between the beads, but a lot less expensive than buying a new barrel and get it fitted.

11. Setterman

Steve, the whole purpose of the adjustable rib is to get the site picture you want while having the comb and bead/ barrel reference at the right height. It's worth a barrel trade to do it right.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Now I understand why they went this far to make adj. ribs. :)

I have one particular Abbiatico Salvinelli pigeon gun made for me with non-adj. high stock that'll shoot 12" high at 25 yard. I see 1/4" of the tramline rib between beads every time I point at the center box.

13. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

If your front sight is set "high", you will lower your POI. If your comb is set low with no spacers, you will lower your POI. If you do both of these things, and your gun still shoots "HIGH", you are not "cheeking" your gun in a normal fashion. Your chin should not be on top of the comb. If you do this, a field gun will probably shoot too high.

14. Remingtondon

Remingtondon TS Member

Stubs,

Thanks for the input... I have the comb set on the bottom for my DB-81 O/u barrels and it's 70/30. I put the unsingle on and didn't move the comb. In the 50/50 position the pattern was 100% high. In the 3rd notch where the book tells you it will be 9" high I was off the pattern board over 18" high and all the rib between the beads shows. Left and right it's solid just high as heck and I guess what I need to do is set it to 50/50 and adjust the comb to a figure 8 sight pattern and adjust from there. If it stops raining tomorrow I'll test it out the back door on the board again.
    Thanks for your advice and help, I really appreciate all the responses, well most of them ha, ha.
    Don

15. Setterman

Don, do you have this problem with other guns? Do you see a lot of rib with a standard Remington 1100? If so you have a low cheek bone, and you may have to sand down your comb. If not, there is something wrong with your gun, or you have the wrong barrels on your gun. you mention you have a DB81 O/U barrel. What model is your unsingle? I didn't think they made a DB81 adjustable rib barrel.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Add notches for more adjustments. I know Wilkinson does this and I'm sure a lot of smithies can.

17. JACK

Steve W. Perhaps. But unlike CG, I think Danielle is bright enough to realize he is getting free advertising and will prob send me some free stuff just so I keep posting thier jive. Ya know? Now if we could only get tose guys to quit yappin in italian when we are in their presence. I archive a lot of stuff. One of my most popular was the Seehase Brochure. Remember that one?

Jack

18. JACK

Barry. I had forgotten that trick. Yes, convert any of those to 120% that-a-way

19. Setterman

I had Laibs do a MX10 once, but why spend $450 if you can trade?

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Don, you just identified your problem. The rib on DB-81 barrels is significantly higher than the rib for an MX-15 barrel.

If, as you say, the comb is all the way down when you shoot your DB-81 O/U barrels and you get a 70/30 POI, then there is no way on earth you will not have a higher POI when you put your MX-15 unsingle barrel on, even if you have the rib in the 50/50 position. It just cannot happen.

Reread my post above. The markings notches on the MX-15 barrel correspond to 50/50, 60/40, etc when you are looking flat down the rib. You cannot do that with your comb. It appears you have a stock made for a DB-81, or other high ribbed gun. You cannot lower the comb on that stock enough for a low ribbed MX-15 barrel. That's why you see a lot of rib between the beads. Since you comb is already bottomed out, your out of luck. The only thing you can do is put an add-on rib on the MX-15 barrel to bring it up to DB-81 rib height. The you'll have a shot at getting 50/50, but you'll actually get around 60/40 depending on barrel length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mx-15 barrel for sale

perazzi mx-15 adjustment diagram