1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-10 POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

On another thread someone said their MX-10 top single shot 110% high at it's highest setting. It was a new barrel. Mine has a ser #125xxx. With the rib as low as it goes at the bore, the best I can get is 80/20 to 90/10. About 8" high at 30 yards. Does anyone have a the factory POI specs for a new barrell, or have one that shoots 100% or higher?

2. joehunter

joehunter Member

If you read the manual, that is about as high as the barrel shoots. The manual says at it highest POI, it 9 inches high. It starts at 50/50 at its flatest setting. I thought these barrels shot higher til I read the manual. I have a friend who had Eyster bore the barrel up to shoot higher. He had the same problem. Hope this helps.

Joe

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My 2000RS unsingle barrel shoots 12" high at 40 yards which is what you are getting. Just add an extra 1/8" spacer under your comb for another 4", and so on.

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Listen to ZZT. He knows of what he speaks!

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I know I can raise the POI by adding shims, but that is not the purpose of an adjustible rib. I prefer to not experience "gaposis" between the beads. I'll send it in to Wilkinsin or Laibs to add 2 more notches. Thanks to everyone who responded.

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Randy Ross had his gun done by Tom W. His POI is 25 inches high, he had extra notches put in the rib. It takes a special shooter to handle a gun that shoots that high.
    Also, all Perazzi stocks are not the same. My son and I have MX 10 RS's. I have 14 mm spacers add and he has about 4mm. When I put them side by side, his comb is a shade higher and shoots about 10 to 20% higher than mine.
    Charlie

7. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

If you want a Hight shooting gun I have a Lujtic Mono gun that shoots 100 % high. I hate it and would sell it reasonable. BRGII

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Dove Commander, I've been down the path you are considering. Assuming you have a close to standard Perazzi stock on your MX-10, you are going to run into comb adjustment trouble. Here is what I ran into trying to get mine to shoot the 22.5" high that I was used to.

First, each notch raises or lowers POI by 4" @ 40 yards. That assumes you add the 2mm of spacers (or slightly more for 35" barrels) Perazzi recommends so you see the same sight picture. Since you are worried about gaposis, you'll certainly want to.

For me to shoot 50/50 requires 4mm spacers under the comb. Adjusting the front bead all the way down (3 notches lower) requires adding another 6mm of washers under the comb. Having TW file one additional notch, possibly all you can get if it's a top single, will give you 16" high @ 40 yards and require an additional 2mm of spacers. Now you have a 100% high shooting gun with gaposis under the comb. 1/2" is a big gap, and caused me some fit problems. In addition, the top of comb is no longer parallel to the rib. So it hurts a little when you shoot it, and you have to be very careful to consistently place your cheek on the comb.

I had to add 3/16" more spacers to get to the POI I wanted, and the problems magnified. First off, you are at or slightly above the effective limit of hight for the standard Perazzi posts, plus you have the comfort and fit issues. Perazzi makes roll-over combs for their adjustable comb guns in three heights, 24mm, 28mm and 32mm if memory serves. The tallest eases the gaposis and does increase comfort, but does not alter the comb angle, so it is still high in front. Only wood removal and refinishing will solve that problem.

The Perazzi roll-over combs are $240 each and you may have to wait months for the largest. They make them in batches, so if they are out, you will have to wait until they make a new batch.

I found it much more comfortable to use the roll-over comb with the rib at it lowest (in front) setting with enough additional spacers to raise the POI where I wanted. The little bit of rib showing between the front and mid bead don't bother me. In fact, I see the bird sooner and better set up that way. The rib ramp is blocking less of my vision.

I'd fool around a little by adjusting what you have, and see if that can be made to suit you. Here are some tips. If you adjust the rib down in front by one notch and add the recommended 2mm under the comb, you will raise your POI by 4" @ 40 yards. If you adjust your rib, but leave the comb unchanged, your will alter POI by 1.5" @ 40 yards for each notch. If you adjust the comb and leave the rib unchanged, you alter POI by 2.5" @ 40 yards for each 2mm adjustment. If you don't have the Perazzi metric spacers and use U.S. washers, you will have trouble getting "identical" sight pictures with rib adjustments. However, each 1/16" comb adjustment moves POI by 2" @ 40 yards. That's 1" for a 1/32 adjustment or 4" for a 1/8" adjustment. You can buy 1/32" washers in the 3/8" ID required to fit your posts if you look hard enough. Any of the thicker ones are available everywhere.

Good luck with your adjustments.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

zzt, My stock is a PFS, so adjustment is no problem. Tom Wilkinson says he may not be able to add 2 notches. My gun is a top single. I plan to call Laibs and see what they can do. Thanks for the help.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Holy s**t zzt. I never realized the process was this complicated.

I just stacked a bunch of washers on my posts until I got my pattern 100% on top of my POA at 35 yards. No middle bead, so no gap. I never even bothered screwing with the rib adjustment.

However, if you don't like the bead gap switch the bigger front bead and the smaller midbead. ;)

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I have done the ole' magic marker trick on the mid bead, but it bugs me that Perazzi would make an adjustible rib that maxes out at 80/20. It's time to create a better sight picture. I wasn't aware that Laibs and Tom would cut extra grooves in the top single till I saw another thread. It also requires milling the bottom off the front of the rib so it doesn't bottom out on the barrel. If Seitz can do it why not Perazzi.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What you need is a bigger midbead, like maybe your thumb? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lower poi perazzi mx10