1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Muzzleloader Triple 7 black power cleaner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by r_chappy, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r_chappy

r_chappy Member

what is a good black powder cleaner especially for cleaning breech plugs? TC sells one in a jar that is suppose to very good. Does anyone know what a similar product might be. I have been told soaps work well. I am new to the muzzleloading hunting. thanks,

chappy

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

777 is water clean up. Then oil, be sure to use a good solvent to remove the plastic from the bore too.

3. ky4some

ky4some Member

I use all the TC cleaning products. I have found them to be the best. I use the pre-soaked patches for the barrel and also the pre-soaked seasoning patches for the barrel after it's cleaned. Can't remember the name of the TC product for breech plugs but it works well. I've even used Hoppe's #9 on a cotton patch for a really dirty breach plug. Just make sure to dry it good.

Since you are new to muzzleloaders I would recommend checking out the CVA website. They have some great video tutorials. I prefer the TC muzzleloaders over CVA personally but the tutorials were great.

Mike Kamer

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I agree with Blackhorn but you need adult primers to light it off. Shotgun 209s or large rifle primers. My Austin & Halleck has been converted to large rifle primers which are even better than 209s for Blackhorn.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

50/50 mix of Ballistol and water. Click the link for other ideas.

Wayne

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Hoppes no. 9 in a spray bottle. I use it right out on the range with a brush and patch. Bill

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

good thread here

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Windex to clean. BreakFree to lube and store. Alcohol to wipe bore and flash hole prior to shooting.

My T/C 50 cal. Encore will shoot sub MOA w/ 300 grain 45 cal bullets and sabots.

HBT

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Be careful about using Windex! There are several formulas of it; the one with ammonia should never be used in a ML, it will erode the bore.

Plain Windex is fine, as is the formula with vinegar.

I looked at trying Blackhorn until I saw the price - $32 for 10 oz!

Kiv

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

When you give some thought to how long 10 oz will last you its not that bad. I'm sure I won't shoot up a bottle in ten years hunting.

To me it like people using $#@& primers in a K80 or Perazzi to save 20 bucks.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm with Mike Kamer - I use all T/C products and my Omega cleans right up. I use Triple Se7en pellets (3), Hornady 250-grain SST/ML bullets and sabots with Federal 209A primers. That load shoots into just over an inch at just under 2,200fps over my chronograph. The same load shoots best out of our son's Encore, too.

Ed

12. Maz

Maz TS Member

Blackhorn does it come in pellets or powder?

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Hoppe's # 9 also has ammonia, but less than 10% Ammonium Hydrochloride. The Bench Rest formula has more.

HBT

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Armor all. Exactly what you get in the TC cleaner just less expensive. Won't pit you bore like soap and water and leaves a protective film that improves with 'seasoning'. Eventually cleaning will be a one wet patch on a jag followed by one dry patch deal.

15. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Blackhorn is loose form only. Its a real good powder and you don't have to worry about shootiung and cleaning your gun after the first shot and you reload. It is Non corrosive so yo ucan leave your second load in the gun until you shoot it, days or weeks. You save the cost of bullet, sabot, primer and powder. So 32.00 is not such a bad price.

Alliant has Black MZ, non corrosive BP substitute for around 20.00/lb. I sold several pounds but have not gotten any feedback from any of the purchasers yet.

16. r_chappy

r_chappy Member

thanks to everyone for their insight concerning black powder residue clean-up.
    you all have been a bigh help.

Chappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.