1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

muzzle loading shotgun - how to use it...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HSLDS, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

A friend has an old muzzle loading shotgun - percussion cap ignition.

He got it from a mentor who has since passed away. He decided it would be nice to shoot it once in a while. We know it is in good shape and usable.

I am trying to help him with HOW to load and shoot it - planing on using a black powder substitute (e.g., Pyrodex).

How do we load it?? wads?? shot??

I'm fine with cartridges, but this loose stuff doesn't make much sense to me...

THANKS

David D

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

you have a pm.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

SR1 and Mr Charles, thank you both.

Looks like a 12 bore (I'll measure tomorrow).

I'll talk to my friend tomorrow - and pass on the info.

David D

4. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have gotten the fiber wads from ballisticproducts.com they have everything you will need.The 50 grains of fff blackpowder is a good charge in a 12 bore. The fiber wads are cheap and work great I prefer black powder over pyrodex but thats just me I would start with 1 1/8 of shot and 45 grains of fff black powder its a good load but as stated by Mr.Charles make sure you take your time and make sure everything is ok with the gun first. What will you be useing it for hunting,clays? Oh when your done shooting it boil water on the stove and mix it with dawns dish soap & pour it down the barrel it cleans up great that way make sure to use a glove or pot holder when holding the barrel it will get damn hot.

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

You have another pm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.