1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

muzzle loader question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I am getting into INLINE muzzle loaders. I have an encore and i will be buying a barrel for it. How accurate are these muzzle loaders and what yardage are they effective? Any load suggestions? I am planning a muzzle loader elk hunt. thanks

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have the .50 cal TC barrel. It is a hoot to shoot but if I was serious, I would talk to the Bullberry Barrel folks in Utah. Just "Google" Bullberry Barrel and you will get their website. They cost a bit more but I think you will be pleased. Ron

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Whatever you get, I would advise shooting it enough so that you can shoot accurately.

I would also consider adding a low power, long eye relief scope with a wide field of view. Something like a 2x7 variable or a 2.5 x fixed power.

With the advent of pellets, I would work up a load using powder in pellet form. If you choose to use loose powder, weigh the powder and create several "quick loads" of weighed charges.

My Ruger 77/50 shoots about as accurate as a 30-30, i.e., a 2" 5 shot group at 100 yards.

Just to repeat, you need to familiarize yourself with the weapon. Most in-lines are reasonably accurate once you find the right load and when you use consistent ammunition.

I would also talk to some experienced hunters about what bullet they use for Elk. For the past 15 years, I have used a 240 grain Hornady XTP .429 cal pistol bullet in a sabot for whitetail. This bullet has served me well. During the same time period, my brother-in-law used a 385 grain Hornady buffalo bullet. This bullet worked well for him.

If I were fortunate enough to be able to hunt an Elk, I would use the heavier 385 grain Hornady buffalo bullet. Once, when sighting in at 50 yards and using a paper target tacked to a 6” diameter cedar tree, the buffalo bullet was knocking chips out of the back of the trunk while the XTP bullet was simply absorbed by the trunk with no visible sign out the back.

Good luck with your hunt.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Modern In Line Muzzle Loaders are VERY accurate and can can take game cleanly out to 150 yds.(some speciality ones even farter). As posted above, take time to become profecient with the gun. Pellets are easier to load, but i find I get beter accuraucy out of the granulated powder. I can also tailor my loads for beter accuracy. I like the power point bullets, bvut be carful. In sum places they only allow SOLID lead bullets. Same with Scopes. Be sure to know the hunting regs before you hunt.

5. steele

steele TS Member

Earl, On all my elk trips to Colorado, I see he T/C Encore/Contender setups more than anything else. You can just get a barrel to replace the .223 varmint rig you have. Check the state regulations. Colorado does not permit any type of scope & you must use granulated powder. Last Sep, there was a guy in camp grinding up his Pyrodex pellets, because he didn't bring granulated powder. Butch

6. kallen

kallen TS Member

As slide action say read the regs and see if scopes are allowed. Some don't but you can use the single power red dots. They work much better than the regular sights, especially if you no longer have young eyes.

7. RBur

RBur TS Member

Earl, check out this website. WWW.SAV10ML.com

Ron Burdick

8. IM390

IM390 Member

With a legal scope you can achieve 150 to 200 yards. Loose powder will always give better accuracy and more power than sticks or pellets. Choose a sabotted bullet like Hornaday's XTP ballistic tip or Powerbelt's Aeo-tip. Both ought to have a ballistic tip and weigh in between just under 300 up to 400 grains. I would recommend Triple 7(by Hodgdon) black powder substitute in fffg grade and you will be shooting around 100 grains.

You need to find out how to get this stuff to the hunting camp. Most airlines have powder restrictions.

Practice with the ammo you will hunt with in order to zero in the scope.
    Don't be fooled by the advertising that suggests pellets have more power, they don't! Your gun will shoot better with a granular load that varies only by 5 grains. Find it and stick with it.

If you want to build your own preload tube, cut off the crimp of an empty 12 gauge shot shell and plug it a cork. By squeezing the open end as you pour powder down the barrel, you will create your own funnel.

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

thanks, never thought about the airlines

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My CVA Electra, with the 3X9 Nikon BDC Omega scope is awesome with Powerbelt Platinums. The scope has a 5 inch eye relief and has different circles below the crosshairs for ranges to 250 yards.

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have heard that they are very accurate. I like the fact the primer is inclosed. I use sabots and that has helped 100%. I use 2 of the Powderdex pellet's. Those are great so your not trying in the field to load loose powder. You just pick up two pellets and thats it. You will enjoy the gun its is a good one. have fun and good luck on your hunt.

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Muzzleloaders stink! I had a Remington 700mls & now a T/C Encore, both .50 cals. They both shot real well. I shot a big whitetail with a 250gr Barnes bullet, did not find him until shed hunting in the Spring. This year I shot a big whitetail with a T/C 250gr shockwave, dropped him like a rock, and then he got up & walked away. I've talked to alot of people who have had similar experiences. The muzzleloaders just seem to not have the shock effect.

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Not trying to be funny but you still have to hit them in a vital spot. One shot kills are the norm with these big bullets. IMHO Ron

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Doug it is your bullets. The Barnes is great at slightly higher velocity or if you hit bone with them. It most likely didn't hit bone and went through without expanding so just punched a 45 cal hole through him (assuming saboted). If you would have hit a shoulder and then vitals that deer will do a bang flop and be dead before he hits the dirt although the 300 will do it better IMO. The Shockwave on the other hand has the opposite issue. It likely hit bone and fragmented without penetration. The bonded shockwaves help get around that. Take a look at http://www.bpbullets.com for something in between or you have to pick your shots. Good old fashioned heavy conicals will give some shock too but at both ends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.