1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

muzzle loader question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nut, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nut

nut Member

I bought a new ramrod for my tc encore that sticks out in front of my barrel about an inch or more with my plastic bullet starter on it.

Went out to make sure it was still sighted in. The first shot i missed the target the second the same. pulled out the ramrod and right back to dead center with the next two shots. Could the ramrod sticking out that inch affect the bullet that much.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mine(CVA Wolf) sticks out like that too and i've never had any issues. Are you sure its not hit'n the bullet? I mean that should or would be quite obvious. I just can't see how it could affect it otherwise.

Matt

3. nut

nut Member

It's not hitting it just a little powder residue.

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Why don't you put the ram rod back in and find out?? You stopped only half way through the test. If you put the ramrod back in and you miss again, I'd say it was the ramrod. What you don't say is wheeher the first shot was out of a clean barrel and the next two out of a dirty one. Makes a big difference in some guns.

Jeff

5. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Is it posible the sabot wad is catching the ramrod before it parts the bullet and throwing it off? This could easily hapen without damage to the rod.
    Dave B

6. smokinbuck

smokinbuck Member

Nut,
    What you should do first is put the "bullets" away and shoot what they were meant to shoot, patched round balls. Loaded properly they will do everything for you that needs done. Almost all of my ML's have the rod projecting out the front from 1/2" to 1 inch so it can be grabbed and pulled out. It doesn't seem to affect the accuracy. Make sure that the "residue" you see on the rod tip is not plastic from the sabot. If it is it might be causing deflection of your bullet.
    Mark

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

IMO- Most muzzleloaders suck. I started out with a T/C Renegade, it shot ok for what it was, open sights & round balls. I then bought a Remington 700ml. I got it shooting good, with a specific bullet & powder. Next time I went to shoot it, all over the paper. I then bought a T/C Encore, all over the paper. After much work I got it shooting better with a T/C Shockwave bullet, which is a very poor hunting bullet. I wanted to shoot Parker bullets, which imo are the best! I ended up cutting the 1/2" freebore off the end of the barrel, had it shooting good, next time I shot it 3 inch groups. I think a Bad Bull muzzleloader would be the way to go, but quite expensive.

8. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Doug, i have never had any of those problems, i have an old Knight MK-85 that i bought in the early 90's, it cut holes at 100 yd with Power belt bullets, and they are an excellent hunting bullet, i have taken 2-3 deer every year since i bought it and 2 elk when i went elk hunting.However i do hear stories of guys that can't get the Encore to shoot any bullet.Joe

9. Beni

Beni Member

You should sight your gun in just as it would be set up in the field. Possibly your ram rod is taking away the free float ability of your barrel. I cant imagine your bullet set up is hitting your loading jag. Try to get another ram rod and use it just for range practice,this will insure keeping your rod installed and sighted in for the field. Beni

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

YES - the projection changes the air flow at the muzzle- maybe not identically to an issue with the crown but similar

Same as a bayonet on a rifle

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. nut

nut Member

Sorry i did get back to this question sooner Christmas stuff.

I shoot this gun 4 or 5 times throughout the summer. The load I use is 95 grains triple seven loose powder Barnes spit-fire MZ 245gr bullet.Yes the gun shoots better after the first shot. I run a brass brush through the barrel after every shot. The day I went out check the gun it was 3 degrees outside. That's way I cut it short once I figured it out I was frozen.

I also have and enjoy shooting an old hawken 50 cal and 54 cal.just happen to like the tc for hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.