1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

muzzel loader problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Remove the breech plug and either place a small charge of loose powder in or drive it out the muzzle with a rod.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

By 'the obvious' I take it that you have tried firing the gun and can't get ignition. No powder or blocked ignition path.

Pull the breech plug like Toolmaker advises. Be careful - you have a loaded barrel.

There is also a screw like attachment that goes on your ram rod that you can use to thread into the bullet and pull it out from the muzzle. These only work if the round is fairly loose fit in the barrel - generally you just get a few bits of lead attached to the threads.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I made a bullet puller out of a wooden dowel rod and epoxied a sharp sheet metal screw to the end. It worked but i had to make a "T" handle(a nail thru the other end) to turn the thing. Go slow or like stated above you'll just get bits of lead and waller out the bullet. This was for an old musket style pre breech plugs.

4. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Don't really know how inlines work, I'm a sidelock guy, but I can usually remove the nipple and pour in some powder and get ignition. Don't try this if you have already pulled the bullet a little with a puller, ram it back home first if that is the case. Have you tried a CO2 setup? They work too.
    Good luck.

P.S. This doesn't happen as often with a REAL muzzleloader and REAL blackpowder ;>

5. josh b

josh b TS Member

unscrew the nipple as i dont think the black diamend has a removable breech plug, and blow it out with an air compressor. hope it works out for ya
    Josh

6. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

This is what I would do. I would remove breech plug. Remove any and all burnt and unburnt powder from this area. Find a long aluminum ram rod take a big hammer and gently remove the bullet from the barrel. This shouldn't take much force to remove the bullet from the breech area.

Jason in PA

7. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

The SAFEST way is to use the CO2 device, it works, and is good to have around to unload after hunting season is over. Grubby

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Not familiar with the gun but a grease fitting has the same threads as a nipple. Just screw in the grease fitting and use a grease gun. The bullet will slide right out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.