1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Music while shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MMcVitty, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

So I need to find a way to get my mind off of all of the things that I need to think about on the line, so I don't think about them on the line. (You know that pesky letting things get into my head thing.) I was thinking about hooking an iPod up to headphones to listen to on the line while shooting.

I don't see anything against it in the rulebook so I thought that I might try it during practice. My biggest concern is being able to do this while still having some hearing protection.

So I wondered if anyone has tried this before? If so, how did it go? How did you go about a set up for listening to the iPod/MP3 player?

Thanks.

2. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

IMO, not a good idea. Takes you out of the present and to some other place that separates you from awareness. For safety sake alone, you need to be aware of what's going on around you. And there certaily are other ways to keep you from thinking too much, you've just have to find the one that works for you....

And to answer your question, I know of no one who uses an IPod or similar device while stepping to the line for a round of trap....

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I started listening to music a few months back and it stopped me from over thinking on the line. I found my Skull Candy ear buds to be no worse than the foam plugs for hearing protection.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I listen to music, and so does everyone else on my squad.

A lot of people do it. Some All Americans listen to music while shooting.

There is no rule against it, and there are no safety issues that I've encountered in the 8 or so years that I've done it.

EAR makes ear monitors.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

This was pretty popular back in the 70s and 80s but I haven't seen it that much anymore. Those that liked it had music that didn't demand strict attention but enough so the mind doesn't wander. I never gave it a try in any way......breakemall

6. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I shoot my best scores while listening to music. Pink Floyd works best for me. I was finding that the time I spent between shooting my mind was running fast trying to figure out why I hit the target why I missed and so forth. Now I just listen to the music and RELAX. As for safety I have not shot myself or anyone else nor have I shot out of turn. You still have to pay attention. It seems to me often I am my own worst enemy overthinking an easy thing just point and shoot. I think the possitive if you can break just 1 target in essence you have the ability to break them all as long as your mind doesn't get in the way.

7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I listen to the original sound track from "Deep Throat"

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

What is the hearing protection when doing this?

I've read that doctors are starting to see kids with loss of hearing from walking around with headphones on all day.

Nothing to worry about or a future problem?

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Something basically illogical about worrying about having enough ear protection to keep hi-freq noises from getting to your ear drums and them pumping other noises straight through that protection loud enough to be heard over gunfire!

Keller

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The average age of a Trapshooter must be near 70. If they're not deaf by then they'll probably be dead before they are!!

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Once again Kiner shows us why he is an All American.

Careful with sharing that soundtrack though, the movie was banned in 22 states.

12. Butler

Butler TS Member

Mine says "you can't beat Phil"

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I just tried it for the first time at the Florida State and it seemed to take my mind off of other things. (Won Sundays handicap.) However, I learned not to make the volume very load. Listened to the Best of Pink Floyd.

blade819

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I enjoy threads that expose folks that don't know what they are talking about....

I have broken great scores and poor scores listening to music. It really helps cut down on the rude loudmouths that walk up the line (with their plugs in) while I am trying to shoot..

Your target total may vary....

FRedmon

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My daughter had some ear buds molded into some custom form fitted ear plugs last year and listens to music each time she shoots..

16. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I started shooting with music this past year as a way to keep from counting targets and overthinking my shooting. Downloaded a bunch of 70's tunes on my IPOD and purchased IPOD molded earplugs from the guy from Australia mentioned in another message in this thread.

Pleased to say it worked wonderfully. I saw an increase in my scoring and I was able to tune out the music when it was my turn to shoot. I have had zero safety issues and see and shoot with numerous other shooters that also listen.

At the Illinois state shoot this past summer, I was squadded with a bunch of hotshots from Lindenwood. Almost all of them were listening to music while they shot. Needless to say, they were smoking their targets.

Listening to music is like everything in shooting....what works for one doesnt necessariy work for another. Do what's best for you and best of luck to you.

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Isn't working for me.
    The technology is working great; the concept isn't.
    I want to avoid all conscious thought extraneous to my pre-shot routine. I bought a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs for $50 and a minature MP3 player (4GB) for $30. The muffs have an RCA jack. I turn the muff dial for maximum sound suppression and set the MP3 player volume where I want it....quite low. Works great. At the end of the post I can turn up the e-muff dial and hear the scores read out as I change posts.

I selected easy-listening gutiar, dulcimer, piano instrumentals...the concept was to be unaware of the music, not dancing on the line. I can't ignore vocal, I gotta sing along. Trouble is, some of the instrumentals have lyrics I know, gotta delete those. Some of the tracks have a glitch in them...I notice. When a piece ends in the middle of a post....I notice. I don't ordinarily shoot with muffs. It's doable, but it's a minor PITA getting them adjusted not to interfere with the stock. Bottom line, it just introduced a whole bunch of niggling little minor distractions.

Sometimes my mind seems completely blank and I shoot well. Other times I struggle with conscious thoughts. They don't have to be negative to be bad. "Man, what a pretty day. Pull... Lost"

What works best for me is to give my conscious mind something constructive to do. I try not to let it wander too much between turns and just before I call for the target I say "SEE the target."

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

In all honesty I had a tape recorder playing through earphones I installed in my Pelletier muffs, I had ocean noise and at one point I heard keep your head down w/other subliminal messages, and I ended up buying a new bass boat, fishing poles, + fishing gear.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. racer

racer TS Member

Gee Phil- never heard of that movie,what was the plot? :) Dan

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jerry B. made my set of plugs and they work great.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.