1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MUNICH OLYMPIC RANGE NEW CONSTRUCTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Allen Chubb, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Olympic Trapshooting Enthusiasts,

I had the great fortune of being able to spend some time at the Munich Olympic Range construction site last Monday before I boarded a plane to come home. The old range was a fanstastic place to shoot. It had such character, appeal and history. That range only had (3) bunkers left over from the 1972 Olympic Games with Speith machines in them, but they performed flawlessly. The Bavarian Sport Schutzenbund (BSSB) in cooperation with the Deutsche Schutzenbund (DSB) petitioned the German Ministry of Culture, Science and Technology to update and bring this range up to 21st century standards. The International Sports Shooting Federation (ISSF), which happens to be our World Govering Body is also headquartered in Munich also had some involvement in this renovation. It has not been released how much this renovation will cost, but needless to say it's in the multiple millions of Euros.

The range will now have (5) brand new Olympic Bunkers complete with superimposed International Skeet fields. Each field is connected by a tunnel, which runs from the control booth behind the shooting stations to the bunker. All five bunkers are connected by a service tunnel, which runs the entire length of the field and parralells the shooting stations. The bunkers and skeet fields will be equipped with the finest machines in the world (Mattarelli Olympic Machines). Construction is expected to be completed by October. The range will host a World Cup in 2009 and the World Shooting Championships will be held there in 2010.

I was proud to be the first American to step onto this new range during construction. I spent a lot of time on this range in the early part of my career while I was stationed in Southern Germany during the early 1980's with the U.S. Army. I was lucky enough to be under the mentoring of Konrad "Conny" Wirhnier (1968 Olympic Bronze Medalist in Skeet & 1972 Olympic Gold Medalist in Skeet) along with Franceso "Pancho" Boza of Peru (1984 Olympic Silver Medalist in Trap). I'm really excited about the future of this range and what it will mean for our sport. The Germans also just got finished rebuilding the World Championship ranges in Wiesbaden last year where they put in three new bunkers with Mattarelli's as well. It sure sounds like the Germans have their act together in promoting this sport. It's to bad that the richest nation in the world can't or won't follow suit as well.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

2. Allen Chubb

Photo of architects drawings.

3. Allen Chubb

Photo of bunkers and service tunnels.

4. Allen Chubb

Photo of bunkers from front looking back at the Olympic Grandstand and press boxes.

5. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

I thought that I would pass on a photo of the three new Olympic Trap/Skeet fields at the Ball Trap Club in Cernay, France. They just finished the bunkers and in fact they only planted the grass a few days before we arrived for the Grand Prix. This range now has (5) fields and they intend to bid on a World Cup in the next few years before the 2012 Olympic Games in London. They of course have LaPorte machines in them. They have more construction ahead of them, because they plan to put a 60 meter high berm in front of the last three fields in order to give them the desired background. The President of the Club said that it is now French law that they must install this wall in order to protect the environment from further lead pollution as well as buffer the sound. The range is actually in an industrial park, but regardless they need to make these improvements before the end of the year. All other ranges not meeting these standards will be ultimately shut down. Food for thought!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

6. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

Here's a unique photo that you'll never see anyway else. This photo hangs on the office wall of Ennio Mattarelli at the Mattarelli Olympic Trap Machine Company in Bologna, Italy. This photo should be titled "40 Years of Olympic Gold". The photo contains from left to right; Luciano Giovanetti (ITA) (1984 Olympic Gold Medalist - Trap / Los Angeles) Alexey Alipov (RUS) (2004 Olympic Gold Medal - Trap / Athens) and Ennio Mattarelli (ITA) (1964 Olympic Gold Medal - Trap / Tokyo). VERY COOL!!!!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

7. ansvel

ansvel Member

Luciano Giovanetti (ITA) (1980 Olympic Gold Medalist - Trap / Moscow USSR) as well.

With the score of 198/200 fantastic!

8. Allen Chubb

Steve,

It is my pleasure. According to my contacts in Munich, they need to get some payoff on this range expenditure, so they'll probably be hosting some Grand Prix events in the years to come. Definitely good news for our sport to say the least.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

9. tachyon

tachyon Member

Allen, a dumb question if i may.

In the first photo there appears to be rows of pads with what looks like electrical conduit next to each pad.
    It was my understanding that international trap was shot from one yardage. Could you explain the reason for the multiple rows of pads and the electrical. Thanks in advance.

10. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Allen:

I was a student at the University of Munich in 1973-75 and I shot several time s there with Konrad. I had met him at the Grand American while he was there represeting Rottweil Guns. The old range was built on an old German military range. Where is this new range located, near the old range? I was in Munich a few years ago on business and could not remember how to get to the old range. Old age must have somethng to do with that.

One of my German language instructors was a hostess at the Shooting Venue and all she kept telling me was how cute Jimmy Poindexter was.

Thanks for the info.

Bob Gibson

11. Allen Chubb

Gentlemen,

Sorry, I've been a little busy lately. I was up at the Binghamton Gun Club this weekend. We had a nice bunker training day on Saturday and we had a good turnout. Some of the die hards from Buffalo and Rochester came down as well, which always makes it a lot of fun. This bunker throws a very nice target and the presentation is excellent. I highly recommend anyone to visit the range and shoot on Rick Chordash's bunker.

Tachyon,

The first row of shooting pads is for "Jager" Trap. This is shot in the German Hunting Course Qualification for their license. The target speed is backed off and the angles are not as wide. The gun is started from the gun down position (On the hip). It's been a long time since I've seen it shot, but I seem to remember that you have to hit at least 12 x 25 to qualify for your license. The targets are also released by a hand button. The second set of pads is for Olympic Trap. The PVC pipe is for the microphone wiring. All wiring is run underground. You simply plug the microphone into the outlet and away you go. No untangling cords, etc. The pad with the number "4" on it is a skeet station. They superimposed the skeet and trap fields together.

Bob,

The range is one in the same. It is located to the Northeast of Munich and right beside the Stuttgart to Salzburg Autobahn. Yes, it's located on the edge of a German Military Base, but you don't have to deal with any guards or gates. The 1972 Olympic Range is getting the facelift with the new bunkers and skeet field. If you head North on Leopoldstrasse out of Munich eventually it will turn into Ingolstadtstrasse. As you approach the Autobahn overpass you'll see a sign to Garching and Hochbruck. You'll turn right on that road and then once you go over the autobahn, the range sign will come up directly on your right "Olympiaschiessenlage". Turn right and you are on the range property. Continue down that road and it will wind around to the shotgun ranges. The comment about Jimmy Pointdexer is funny. I guess there's a lid for every pot. If you want to take your gun over on the next trip, let me know and I can hook you up with the contacts to get an invitation and a permit.

FYI, I'm going to be out of contact for a while. I'll be in Colorado Springs until the 17th for the U.S. Championships. Ah Yes, 7 days of sun and fun in Colorado Springs on the lovely range at Fort Carson. I hope they have more than one potty for everyone this year.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1972 us olympic shooter bob gibson

olympic shooting range munich

olympic trap shooting range construction manuel