1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-Catch not functioning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bombadillo, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bombadillo

bombadillo TS Member

I'm trying to get my multi-catch to function and I've tried everything from hotter loads, to light loads, to adding the gas rings, and everything in between. I had to re-tape the front part of the contraption because it came off, but after cleaning it with lighter fluid and putting it on completely dry, it has been rock solid, however not working. Does anybody have any information that would help on getting this thing to work? I'm just at a loss and didn't want to take it back.
    http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMAG0378.jpg

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you tell me what kind of malfunction you're having I can better advise you.
    I couldn't open the link to the picture. Is the ejected hull not getting
    caught by the rails? Are the jaws closing before the base of the hull has
    reached the rails? Sometimes it takes a little extra tweaking.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A picture of the malfunction would be better? Too tight, too loose, not centered just right, hulls lodging on the forward move etc.etc.. Who knows what else?

Hap

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

My borther had this system and finally took it off of his gun. For what you pay it should work with minimal adjustments. He found himself having to tinker with it so much it became more of a bother.

Bryan

5. Hap MecTweaks

Bryan, the way this system works in driving the spent hull forward to clear the (chambers opening path) for the next spent hull is faulty. That little plastic box doing the pushing isn't the way to accomplish catching both hulls without any interferences!

I also agree with you on the cost, reliability and dependability of that mess too!!

Hap

6. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I had one and had to send it back. Worked great for singles but I to could not get it to work with doubles no matter what I did to tweak it. They need to do more work on it to get it right.

Thad

7. Dickgshot

Hap,
    The problem isn't the plastic and rubber box that pushes the first hull
    forward of the chamber.
    Where the trouble occurs is when the ejected shells doesn't go all the way
    through the rails before the jaws snap behind it. Then when the bolt closes
    the base of the first hull gets caught in the chamber and prevents the bolt
    from closing.
    It would be better if occasionally the shell just slipped past the rails and
    fell to ground -which does sometimes happen- because then it wouldn't
    cause a feed malfunction and you'd just have to pick that hull up off the ground.
    It would be nice if it worked with every type of shell, velocity, and gas
    spring. I have made every possible adjustment - changing the gas spring pressure, bolt speed, light shells, heavy shells, even changing the ejector
    spring pressure.I've got it to work pretty well, but it's not reliable
    enough to shoot trap doubles or sporting clays in competition.

8. Hap MecTweaks

dicktax, as I stated, it's designed to fail as fabricated. They are on the right track but need to rethink the processes a tad! If they continue, they'll figure out what and where the weakest links are with their idea. It's only going to take a few minor changes to accomplish catching both hulls reliably every time! Possibly blinded by over thinking the process?

Hap

9. Dickgshot

Hap,
    This product has been in development for over 5 years and I can tell you that there it's no simple solution. An ejected hull spins out of the chamber in a very haphazard manner. It's a combination of the blowback, the extractor grabbing the rim and then hitting the ejector. Add to that different bolt
    speed,shell dimensions - even how the gun is held.
    The company has used high speed cameras to analyze the ejection of hulls.

I don't know if there will ever be a perfect two shot shell catcher. It's harder than it looks.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What about magnetizing the two rails. The primer will be attracted to the rail keeping the hull from coming back into the chamber. Maybe that square piece in the front should be a magnet attached to the rails, making them magnetized. As long as the magnet and rails are not touching the receiver, they should be the only metal with the magnetic pull. What do you think?

I would think that you could possibly eliminate the double rails, (Inside Rails) as long as the main rails are magnetized. May need to be a pretty strong magnet but it would be worth a try. Jon

11. Hap MecTweaks

Jon, their design must have both rails in place work as intended.

"I would think that you could possibly eliminate the double rails, (Inside Rails)" that's a great start but without the magnetic part.

Dick, their design to push the first spent hull forward was the beginning of their nightmare. What if they'd considered allowing it to stay toward the back of the receiver opening in the first place? The only problem with that idea is the bolt handle sticking out and hitting the spent hull on the way forward!! Figure out how to change that part and your much closer to a workable model!! That part is fairly easy fix too.

HapdaTweaks

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Maybe a easily removable bolt handle. You really only need it for the first loading. After that the chamber stays open after the final shell is fired. jon

13. Dickgshot

Hap,
    I will tell you that personally I worked on testing the MultiCatch for
    nearly a year, and we tried many different things.

The purpose of what you referred to as the double rails are just the jaws
    that close behind the hull to prevent it from falling back into the
    chamber.

As far as pushing the hull forward to the parking area, that works well.
    Again the problem is capturing the hull fully seated in the rails. If it
    hits the rails and falls back into the chamber; or the middle of the hull is
    caught between the jaws and the rails so that the returning bolt can't close -
    that's what needs to be overcome.

I shot a round of skeet doubles and it worked perfectly to the amazement of
    the rest of the squad who had to pick up their empties off the groung.
    When it works, it's great.
    Is there going to be one little adjustment that will enable it to work
    100% with any shells in any 390 or 391. I don't know, but we haven't found it yet.
    ( I thought of magnetized rails, but only for steel based shells. You'd need
    too strong a magnet for just the primer.)

Autos are becoming more and more popular, especially in sporting clays where
    littering the course with empties is a big problem. A two shot shell catcher
    would solve the problem of pelting you squadmates with your hulls.
    The MultiCatch is a pretty ingenious design. It just needs to work better.

14. Hap MecTweaks

dickgtax, I sent you a PM.

Hap

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Dick, do you know if there is going to be a 1100 catcher in the near future?

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.