1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mullet vs Carlson chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have Carlson tubes and I like them. But I'm looking for some new ones and I heard muellers are good.

Even though they are twice the price of a Carlson they say that one choke covers 2 choke functions

Example
    U1 is for skeet/improved cyclinder and U4 is full/extra full

How do they do this? Also what are other good functions of Mueller chokes?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

OP, that's only covering .005 or so.... not worth the quibble. If you like your Carlson's stick with them, excellent chokes.

It's very easy to become a choke collector...

Then find out you only need one or two...

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Go to Shotgunworld.com/Sporting clays and read about the problems with
    Muller chokes.

4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I had this idea I needed new choke tubes for my doubles gun so, i bought Muller tubes. My SCORES in doubles went down in a hurry. (2000)rds later i put the Carlson's back and scores came back up. I think the Carlson's are a GREAT tube they just do NOT rip you off (on the price) like other choke tube Companys. I would advise SAVE your money!!!!!!!!!! JMO joe90t

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Not to be a wiseass(even though I am),but a fish doesn't stand a chance to constrict a shot string.............just sayin'.
    In this case I'd go with the Carlsons.

D.P.Reynolds

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Eddie,
    I don't personally know anyone who has had a problem, but then I don't know that many people that use them. However, there's no question in my mind that they were way overhyped.

Now that stories of them splitting down the sides have been circulating, the pendulum has swung the other way, and they may be getting more bad press than they deserve. It all evens out.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

All chokes are way over priced. Thay probably have less than 5.00 invested in each choke made. CNC machines are dang expensive though. Chokes do not break targets. Buy a quality choke and the rest is the up to you. Carlson's while not hyped are as good as anything out there.

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

You guys bring up good points. And this is where is was coming from.

Yes for cost you get 2 carlsons compared to 1 muller.

They claim one choke does 2 jobs. How is that possible? Or is it just a load of crap like a ported choke?

9. T-Sobania

T-Sobania TS Member

tsobania_2010_050341.jpg

Do your Carlsons perform like this?

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

Wow. I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words. I have never heard of a choke get like that.

I guess on the website when they say the metal is twice as strong is wrong

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

open choke it is a load of Marketing Crap just like Briley's Helix choke hype. I bought a set of the Mullers even though the first one I ever saw was bulged and stuck in my shooting buddy's gun. Why? Because I am something of a gadget freak and suffer from the "it can't happen to me syndrome". They crudded up faster than my factory chokes (in the same gun and with the same ammo) gave no performance improvement either on paper or on the range over a comparable constriction factory tube. So I sold them at a loss and went back to my factory tubes. The only part of their sales hype that my set lived up to was that they were lighter. Big Whoop!

--- Chip King ---

12. open choke

open choke TS Member

I posted a thread on shotgun world in the trap section. And most of the guys praise them there. On here it's the complete opposite.

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

That is because most of the guys got tired of being jumped by the Muller Mafia for having the nerve to say anything bad about them. Look up my name over there and you will find I posted the same info as here. The postings are there if you look. Try the above link and look at the flak some of the posters got for daring to have a problem and talking about it.

--- Chip King ---

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

If I were stupid enough to fall for that BS I'd be defensive too......

15. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Own both and really see no measurable difference on breaks or the pattern board. Carlson is easy to deal with and they have not made any mistakes on the orders..........oh yes, the price, about 1/2. What's not to like?

16. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Couldn't help myself.....

17. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I got lit up on shotgunworld for posting a picture of my cracked new Muller U4..Muller replaced the tube immediately but I won’t risk using the tube during registered shoots or practice. I haven’t noticed any difference in scores or quality of breaks with any of Muller’s with the exception of the U2. The Optima U2 is magic on sporting clays and trap doubles. It will smoke the second double and reach out on long sporting presentations.

Domenic

18. open choke

open choke TS Member

Didn't realize is did a typo on the thread title. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.