1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Muller chokes, what toe pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zackwater, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackwater

zackwater Member

Just got in a set of Muller choke tubes for a Blaser super trap. Only one problem, they will not stick to my magnetic pad I place the gun on. I guess I have to buy one of those toe pads. I will be shooting an unsingle and an over/under. As many Muller as there are out there, I am sure I am not alone. What should I get. Marty

2. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I have three Mueller chokes. You will need one of those generic leather toe pads that will fasten through shoe strings, which means some kind of lace-up shoe or boot, no loafers or sandals.

I like my Mueller chokes, especially the U2 choke for the first shot in doubles. I may go to a U1 for the first shot.

Charlie

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hold tight fellas. The anti-toe pad crowd will be along soon to tell you how dangerous it is and how you will shoot a hole in your foot. I'm a toe pad user myself. Just warning you of the eminent doom preachers.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I have no idea who makes them, but I have seen pads made with rare-earth magnets. and they pick up, even with extended titanium chokes.

I'll betcha if you bought a r.e. magnet off eBay or Amazon, Lonesome Charlie, or Shamrock would make you up a sovereign pad.

Bob

5. bowsnbulls

bowsnbulls TS Member

I have Mueller's also and love them, I got my leather toe pad from, http://www.traphappens.com/page/403949600?page_566594090=2

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You'll get use to the toe pad. I don't generally shoot in flip flop or sandels and use the same mid-weight and light weight hunting boots throughout the year. Pads stay on year round range and field use. You'll find the right shoe. Nice gun ya have, can appreciate the muzzle care you take.

7. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Bob, Mueller chokes are made from an expensive aircraft grade of aluminum and ceramic. No magnet will attach to a Mueller choke.

Charlie

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Charlie, a rare-earth magnet is strong enough to reach a past a non-ferrous choke and find barrel steel.

While it won't have the same 'purchase' as the usual kind, where you can wave the pad around, it is plenty 'stuck' to move from station-to-station.

I use a toe-pad, myself: if I don't forget my shoes, I always have a place to put my gun, but the technology is there to dodge Mueller chokes, and even Briley's extended titanium and still use a padded mouse pad.

Bob

9. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

I did not know that about rare-earth magnets. Got to be expensive tech.

Charlie

10. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Hope you don't accidentally blow your toe off.

There you go Matt. It's amazing how you knew someone was going to mention the idiocy of pointing a gun at yourself.

Hope the kids in the SCTP Nationals at Sparta aren't using toe pads next week. Blatant SCTP rule violation and could get them disqualified.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yeah, Charlie, they are interesting critter, and not overly expensive, considering.

Mash the link above. One of those disks will pickup and hold 10# ... it will stick to barrel steel ¾" away.

I think the SCAP no-toepad makes sense ... for ATA, not so much, including for kids shooting ATA.

For the life of me, I have not figured out why EVERY range does not have carpet squares, or mouse pads on every station, anyhow.

Bob

12. wingmaster78

Goatskin,

A good rule for SCTP but not for ATA? Trapshooting is trapshooting and the ATA is the governing body of the SCTP, What a stupid statement that was.

It almost sounds like .... Nevermind, there is no use arguing with hard-headed old trapshooters.

13. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Bob, if this is the same quality of magnet, it would be a good fit in my existing pad.

Have you read the reviews on some of the BIG magnets? Hilarious!

Charlie

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Wing, while I recognize my position on toepads may suffer from consistency issues, I am also a fan of adult assumed risk and parental responsibility - as well as safe gun-handling.

FWIW, I don't think that eye- and hearing- protection should be required, neither - for registered (read: adult) competition. Assumed risk, yanno.

I also don't think that reduced-fee shooters (kids, mostly) should shoot for pots, so, yeah, it's very possible I am a curmudgeon.

Have a delightful, happy Sunday, anyhow.

Bob

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Charlie, that magnet has 18# of grab ... are you sure you want to have to stand on your pad with both feet to extract your gun? :)

My son's gf was always losing her cell-phone, so he 'solved' the problem with a big NdFeB magnent, stuck to her fridge ... 'slap the phone on there, and you'll always know where it is.' right?

errrr ... NO. When he bought her a new phone, he took the magnet with him.

Bob

16. wingmaster78

So Goat,

"my position on toe-pads may suffer from consistency-I am also a fan of adult assumed risk and parental responsibility- as well as safe gun handling"

Since when is pointing a gun, loaded or not, at your foot considered safe gun handling? Our team rules are 1. open or out. 2. load one, shoot one. and 3. MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!!!!!

Even though the kids pay the same amount to be a member of the ATA and are granted the same rights as a member that you are, they should be under different rules than you are?

A bit hypocritical I would say.

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a parody post...

It is, isn't it?

18. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

why not get one of the metal barrel rests that stick to the underside of the barrel. they work great, never comeoff and are safer then the toe pad. motordoc

19. zackwater

zackwater Member

I guess I am not familiar with the metal barrel rests which stick to the underside. Where can I find one.

20. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

metal barrel rests, Meadows Muzzle-Rest Long Chokes.. $16.00

http://www.gamaliel.com/toepadsrests/meadows-muzzle-rest-long-chokes.asp

good luck Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are muller shotgun chokes safe to abroad

gun toe pad

muller chokes reviews

muller chokes tube problems