1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Muller Chokes? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I am using them, the U3 tubes in a K80 ProSporter for sporting clays. They perform very well. And are about as light and cost less than the K80 Ti chokes. I have had good results with the U3 compared to my K80 Ti Mod choke. I have U1 and U2 chokes on order. The guy (Jim Muller) is a one man shop so if you encounter any delays in receiving your chokes, that is the reason why. Search on shotgunworld.com (if you have not already). At least 4 or 5 threads on there where folks give their opinions, some with patterning results, on these chokes.

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I use Muller chokes in my sporting gun. U1, U2, and U3. I have not used or patterned the U4 but it would seem to be a trapshooters dream come true as far as chokes go. I did some pattern work on the more open chokes, here is the link: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=219771

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What T-Sobania said is right. The BIG difference is the weight. In my sporting gun I was using Pure Gold chokes, by switching to Mullers I removed nearly 3 ounces from the very end of my barrels. Obviously, the handling changed significantly. If you want/need to remove some weight for the end of your barrel then it’s the way to go. On the other hand, if you need to have that weight out there then something else may be better suited for you.

4. tingram

tingram TS Member

After much testing on my part I have come to the conclusion the Mullers are some of the best chokes ever made period few even come close. Nothing takes the place of practice but these chokes are as good as you can buy. Jim is a great guy but a one man band so be patient, good things come to those who wait.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I was elated when I received my Muller Chokes in mid-March for a 391 Optima Plus, but now frustration, stretched-out over time. IMHO, the U1 and U2 are just average ext. chokes as far as performance goes - yes, they are light and don't need cleaning and sometimes too tight. The U3 (.022) and U4 (.036) are IMHO out of this world - the best 20" patterns at distance I have ever seen. The U4 will consistently put 92-95% pellets in a 30" circle @ 40yds. To me, that is impressive.

There are draw-backs to these chokes - I had to return my U4 in late March because it would not go back into the muzzle after shooting about 3 flats through it. Still have not received a replacement. Ordered a set for an Optima barrel in early April, still have not received them.

Muller is a one man shop as previously mentioned so if your going to order some chokes be prepared for possibly a long wait. The wait, however, may be worth it, especially for the U3 and U4. That 20" pattern at distance sure looks good.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Here is U3 (.022) I patterned at 40 yards. You decide if it's good or not.

Have not had a chance to pattern a U4 (.036) yet.

1 oz. #8 at 1200 fps.

[​IMG]

7. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Thanks for the great info and opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
muller choke optimum distance
muller chokes opinion

muller chokes review

muller u3 sporting clays