1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Muller choke tube opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rlcammer, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I would like to read some opinions on whether or not Muller choke tubes live up to the advertising on their web site.

Thanks.

Ric C.
  2. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

I did some pattern testing last summer with a Muller U4 & a .35 Comp-N-Choke. I have been using comp-n-choke for some time & really like their patterns but do not like the extensive cleaning that they require. The Muller patterned almost exactly like the comp-n-choke @ 40 yds. I now use the U4 for singles & caps. Cleaning is easier with the Muller than any choke that I have used.

PM me for details of the patterning if you want more info.
  3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

based on the 20+ thread that was going on over on shotgun world last summer and the numerous threads that resulted afterwards, Muller chokes are a very good alternative to the pricey Ti chokes and they seem to produce an even pattern, no "hot cores"....plus they are easier to clean up.

Muller seems to have worked out all the kinks from last year, when he was running into trouble getting his business started up.

I kept my pair of U3 tubes for my K80....I sold my U1 and U2 pairs just because I prefer to shoot a more tighter chokes for sporting clays and sometimes the once in a blue moon round of trap. I kept all of my other chokes (Briley Ti, Teagues, Krieghoffs, Extreme) and I won't be ditching them for the Mullers.
  4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I like them. They do pattern very nicely in my sporting guns. In my Beretta trap gun I used the U3 of singles and a U4 for anything further back. His claims about easy cleaning and less of a hot core are fairly accurate. But in reality the real difference between Mullers and extended steel chokes is the weight. If you NEED to get some weight off the end of your barrel then they are the ticket, however if you like the balance or want more weigh out there then standard chokes are a better choice. BTW...I just started shooting a Caesar Guerini Trap, using the CG chokes that came with the gun with no complaints so far.

Mark

p.s. As a comparison my Mullers weight less then 1/2 of what my Pure Gold extended chokes weigh. That saved me almost 3 ounces at the end of my O/U sporter.
    Muller U2=18.2 grams, Pure Gold=55.2 grams. Both pattern great in my Browning, much nice than the Browning or Briley chokes. Like I said earlier...its a weight thing.
  5. Borderland

Borderland Member

I am unsure about the patterning claims..I purchased a U2 (nominal IC) that is stated to break targets like a modified. I cannot argue with the breaks but the constriction is .022 kind of like a tight modified. So are the patterns better or just responding to a tight choke ??

Ken
  6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Read the sections on chokes in Dr. A C Jones new book about sporting shotguns and you'll begin to understand how pointless it is to buy chokes based on pattern claims... or how ludicrous it is for the manufacturers to make these claims.

MK
  7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

My Mullers don't pattern any differently than any other choke I've had. I have not had time to gather enough patterns to substantiate that yet, but I believe it will bear out when I do.

They do indeed stay cleaner than my other chokes.
  8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Ken,
    The U2 is supposed to be .012 the U3 is .022
  9. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I may have to try one. If anyone has a U4 Invector Plus they would like to sell, I would be interested.

Thanks for the replies.

Ric C.
  10. hunt4snipe

hunt4snipe TS Member

ordered an paid for a U3 at the nsca nationals , suppose to ship on "nov. 5" still no choke, no response on repeated phone calls, great chokes , hard to do business with
  11. Borderland

Borderland Member

Mark425..Mark thanks for the info. I will use my barrel mike to check the constriction again...maybe mine is a U3 marked as U2.

Ken
  12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Jim did have a run of chokes that were mis-marked. If you can get a hold of him, he will replace the tubes.
  13. bdenny

bdenny Member

I'll let you know if I ever get mine so far not impressed by service or communication.Ordered Dec 29th emailed me a week later it was on the way hadn't seen it or he hasn't returned calls or emails.BAD BAD BAD.
    Bill
  14. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

I don't know man--can they really make one a better shot than any other choke of similar constriction----think so, I dont
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.