1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**MUFFS vs PLUGS**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I changed from form fitting ear plugs to some slim line muffs and I find they have improved my yips resistance. They are not only quieter and more comfortable, they keep my ears warm. I'd be interested to hear some opinions.

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

I wear both in an effort to protect the hearing I have left.

Muffs definitely keep your ears warm on cold days.

If I was to pick just one I think a good fitting pair of muffs would do a better job.

On those very hot summer days in Sparta I only use plugs.

Shawn

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Cheap throwaway foamies give better hearing protection than either. But they darn sure won't keep your ears warm in the winter and can be downright brutal when you take them from your COLD car and shove them directly into your ears. SO I have a shooting hat with ear bands and put several sets in my pocket when I arrive at the shoot so they will be body temperature when I put them in my ears.

I use the EAR brand also and buy them 200 (100 individually wrapped pairs) at a time.

--- Chip King ---

4. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I like plugs. I keep them in my shirt pocket till time to use them. The muffs bump the stock and I loose the hearing seal. I have some of those tight fitting ear muffs for the chillier times.

Mike

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I use plugs at the Trap Range, and when I go to the line, I cover them with slim-line ear muffs during my shoot.

6. lboh

lboh Member

last year at our club another member provided his friend a pair of earmuffs and his CG to shoot a round. While shooting he hit the end of the comb with the earmuff and chipped off a rather large chunk of wood.

Ouch...

He sent it in for repair and they would only provide a soft comb replacement for him as they said they could not match up the wood.

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

First time out with my brand new XT I scratched the comb with my muffs. I've tried a number of different ones but have gone exclusively to custom ear plugs.

8. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Plugs tend to pop out of my left ear no matter how deep I push it in or how much I twist them before installing. I found that the liquid filled ear muffs made by Silencio works without hitting the stock. If it does hit the comb, I know I don't have my gun mounted correctly.

9. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

An Audiologist told me that the foam plugs properly used provide the best hearing protection. For cold and windy Western NY, I use a winter hat with built-in ear lugs.

Chris

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

For a while I used cheap plugs covered with high rated Browning muffs. I liked the protection and the muffs didn't bother my gun, but I couldn't hear calls on the line. And in very hot weather the muffs are a little warm. I have about gone over to custom poured plugs. Jack

11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If you have tinnitus (sp?) as I do you will wish you had worn plugs and muffs both...SMOKIT

12. maka

maka Member

I use EAR brand plugs. There normally used in industrial noise settings. Come with cord which fits around neck collar. I cut this off as close to the plug as I can. Being made from rubber???, I hold them and wash them with warm water and hand soap. This prevents ear infections. In cold weather I use both plugs and Muffs. Good luck.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The "slim line muffs" don't really provide enough protection. They are usually apx 18db. The yellow EAR plugs are 33db.

14. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

I have custom made E.A.R. Insta-Mold (injected/poured) plugs made specifically for my ears. You actually screw them into your ears. They were made for me at the NRA show in Pittsburgh this past year. There is NO WAY a pair of foam off the counter ear plugs protect my hearing like these do. (I have a problem getting foam plugs to stay in anyway). I also don't like the feel of muffs on my head. If it's cold, I'll wear a hat! I actually have trouble hearing people in the clubhouse and on the line when I'm wearing these...About $50.00 and worth every penny.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I us the EAR foam yellows also, in summer. I clean them as maka said. A little warm water and some dish soap. Rinse them good and squeeze out. Then let dry. In winter, I use muffs with padded tape on the muff that is above the comb. Works for me. Jon

16. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

If you have a recoil device on the butt of your stock and you use muffs, raising the muff a little to prevent it from hitting the stock can cause your earlobe to get caught in the compression stroke of the recoil device. The resulting pain will get your immediate attention, and the goodly quantity of blood sprayed and dripped all over the stock and your clothes will serve as a lasting memento of the fun you had shooting that day.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Ted K.

17. front242

front242 Member

Wow Ted. Ouch.

Tim O

F²4²

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Foam plugs put in properly and sculted muffs

The new caldwells with electronic applification are only like in the 30 dollar range

I use them for high volumne hunting- like duck blinds or doves also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

19. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Let's look at some numbers.

All of these devices offer different levels of protection. Having already had a hearing loss (long ago, not shotgunning), I've done pretty thorough research into what is available and how it is rated. Most devices have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) that tells in decibels how much noise they block. The more the better.

In the list below, BE AWARE THAT 6DB IS AN EFFECTIVE DOUBLING OF SOUND VOLUME.

In other words... properly inserted foam ear plugs block twice as much noise as things rated at 24db.

20 db - custom molded "musicians' plugs" (silicone) - $200

21 db - low end non-electronic muffs muffs - $15-$30

22 db - low end electronic muffs - $60

24 db - polymer plugs - SureFire EarPro EP-6 - $15

24-26 db - better electronic muffs - $150-400

25 db - Electronic custom molded ESP plugs ($2000-2500) - NRR not published on the website, I got the number via mail from them.

25 db - E.A.R Insta-Mold silicon plugs (at 125 hz - the frequency closest to a shotgun blast) ($1000)

26 db - premium non-electronic muffs (Pro Ears Ultra 26) - about $40

26 db - mix it yourself custom molded silicon plugs - $7 - people either hate or love these things (see comments at Cabelas)

29-30 db - foam earplugs properly inserted - 50 cents/pair - see THIS VIDEO for proper insertion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA

31 db - non-electronic muff - Browning Buckmark Hearing Protector - $20 (looks like a very good deal)

32 db - E.A.R. yellow foam plugs - 21 cents/pair in bulk - again: PROPERLY INSERTED, see the video at the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA

--
    Bob Easton

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm tempted to say "WHAT"?

I use acoustical muffs that allow you to hear adn yet close off upon report. And one muff has a felt pad on one ear should I clickit with the stock.

Summer, I use theplugs with noise cancelling diaphrams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.