1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Muffler and exhaust questions???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My son is out of town on business and I used his car over the weekend and sounds like the muffler went. It's a 2007 Honda Civic 2 door coup LX with 1.8 size engine, automatic transmission.

I went to the Honda dealer and they said to replace everything from the catalytic converter back it's $695.00 + tax.

I went to car X and they said it's $395.00 + tax. I know nothing about cars and I want to have this fixed before he returns. Can they just replace a pipe if they find a hole in it or do they have to replace everything?

Anyone ever have any dealings with Car X or Midas? Any other place you might suggest? I should have left his car in my garage.
    Thanks,
    Steve Balistreri

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

How old is your son?

Around here, They like them thing Noisy!

If the pipes are OK, a "good" shop should be able to replace just the muffler. Some rigs these days though, the ONLY way is to replace everything!

Good Luck

3. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Steve - You are doing okay at $395, for a cat-back repair. Be thankful it wasn't the catalytic converter that went, they can be $1000 and up, depending on make and model. I would go to Midas or any other shop, just to get another opinion. If you have a local shop do your repairs, get them to look at it, as well. They should be able to put it on a hoist and check it out for free, if you are a regular customer. If the muffler went, the pipe after the catalytic converter should be replaced, but the converter, converter heat shield, and pipe from the exhaust manifold to the converter should also be looked at, just to see what shape they are in. A little knowledge now, and some awareness of possible future repairs, may mean that getting it all fixed now will be cheaper than doing it piecemeal later.

4. oz

oz Active Member

I don't know about (car x?) I do know that once you have midas replace a muffler everytine you go back for a problem it is going to cost you money. Their parts do not fit any other parts. I would check with your son first. I suppose you are trying to help him out. He may have a $1000 exhaust system on the car. if you replace it with junk he will be screwed.

5. wlk

wlk Member

Muffler Man

6. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

I had a dream about a muffler last night and woke up exhausted.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve, If you have a tech that you've used and trust take it to them. If not then go to Car X. I just replaced a system on a friends Honda CRX from the converter back cost $250.00 in parts. If it is a hole in a pipe the pipe can be cut out and replaced the use a new pipe with an adapter on each end and a couple of exhaust clamps. About $50 in parts.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hoosier:
    LOL
    Steve

Thanks for the info guys. My wife first suggested not to use his car as if something broke I better fix it for him. I said it's a Honda, what could go wrong?

When I was in the Army I left my 1962 Mercury Comet at my parents house. My dad said every time he took it out for a drive so the battery could stay charged, something would break.

One day, he took my Basset hound with him for a ride and suddenly he heard a noise that sounded like the water pump was going. He pulled over twice to check it and then realized it was my dog crying. He said she sounded just like a water pump going.
    Steve

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I would stay WAY far away from Midas and probably any other "chain" type shop. Look for a small local guy who depends on happy customers and word-of-mouth advertising to keep his doors open. Generally speaking the chain type outfits are there to rape, pillage and kill your wallet.

Oh yea, if they have a big 1/2 page or full page yellow pages ad, you are going to get shafted.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I thought maybe you were trying to do a little noise abatement for some covert ops Steve...a big old Walker muffler on your single barrel will surely be quiet but a little unweildy ; ))

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, I agree with oz. you should ask your son before you do anything. It may be just the way he wants it. If you change his exhaust to something you like and he had replaced it with stuff he likes already, he won't be screwed, he is gonna be pissed.

Also I agree on checking the yellow pages for the Mom and Pop shop. Many of those places will custom build an exhaust system for a fraction of the name brand stuff. Of course this is if the boy wants the work done.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I did work at the muffler shop for a summer and got an edu. They will gut your system to make a buck. It doesn't matter if all you need is a muffler. They will go from the engine to the tail pipe. I have seen them do it.

I was told in a new job to take the van in to get a muffler. The guy behind the counter who I didn't know told me I needed a whole new system. I knew what he was doing and told him all I needed was a muffler. He said You need an all new system because of rust. I told him to show me. We went out and the game was over. All he did was tap on the pipe and then wrote down MUFFLER ONLY. He wasn't happy.

Go in and look at what you need. You might need just a muffler. Look for holes in the muffler and pipes. If the metal is flaking off you just might need to replace that item. If not leave it. I will question if the cat needs to be replaced. That is rare but sometimes it does need to be replaced. If you don't know anything about exhaust then get a friend to go with you who does. Its worth doing so. The shops will take advanage of you if they feel you don't know how things work.

Let us know how things go.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We took our cars to a garage that we trusted for 30 years. Sorry to say he retired. We asked him who we should go to and his reply was I really don't know. Some shops you can't trust most of the time.

Ask around and see who your friends and or co workers go to. Find a shop thats a lets say a mom and pop shop. You will do better if you find the right one.

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

put some jb weld over the hole and it'll be good for another 7 years. but check with your kid first. that might be the sound/performance he's been trying to get out of that thing. btw, does it have the short, wide wheels?

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If you have a mechanic you trust to work on your car, ask him for a recommendation. My experience is that good mechanics only refer work to others they trust.

Robert

16. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

You do need to make sure that it doesn't have an after market exhaust on it first, most younger kids with 2 door Civic's put after market mufflers and pipes to make there cars sound louder (A Lot Louder). If it does have the stock type exhaust system still on it, it probably does need to be replaced from the Converter on back, (Probably 2 pipes and 1 muffler) the Muffler is located so far back from the Converter that all the condensation just sits in the muffler and rots it from the inside out, and where the pipe hooks to the muffler gets weak and will probably break off when they try to replace the muffler.
    Midas in my Opinion has a better fitting exhaust system, very close to the stock factory type, they will give you a life time warranty on the muffler, but not the pipes and you always will need the pipes because of the design..

Hope this helps
    Rog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.