1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MTA MONEY SHOOT?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by J D, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J D

J D TS Member

I was looking at the Mich.Trap Assoc. program and is it a typo in the program or are they going to give away all that money?
    $1000.00 to each yardage group winner
    $500.00 to each yardage group runner-up
    $250.00 to each yardage group third place
    Plus all the vouchers in each event.
    If this is true how will they be able to handle all the people?
    It must be about $10,000.00 or close to it given away in three days.
    If true

I will be there.

2. 3357

3357 Member

It is my understanding that the big money goes to the overall winner of all handicap events on day two and three (events 4,6,7,8 I think). To win the big $ you need the high "combined" score of those handicap events. Runner-up and third place on the combined scores of those events also get a decent payout.

I can go pull out my shoot book to verify if you like but I am pretty sure that is how it will work. Hope this helps. Jess

3. J D

J D TS Member

TTT

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

The total payout will be $1750 per yardage group, and there are 4 groups, so $7000 total payout. Payouts are based on total score on all four handicaps on Saturday and Sunday.

5. J D

J D TS Member

Thanks Scott
    I was also figuring the vouchers for each event I am not 100% sure what each voucher is worth so I guessed, maybe I am close on the $10000.00 for the total money given out for the three days.
    Still that is not a bad pay day for each yardage group.
    JD

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Looks like a "gotta be there" shoot...

7. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

HEY BIG M YOU WON ENOUGH MONEY LAST WEEDEND. GREAT SHOOTING..

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I hope many, many shooters attend the Michigan Trapshooting Association Money Shoot on July 16-18.

Looking back ten years or so, the MTA has lost at least $3000 each year on this handicap shoot in its variations.

9. BigM-Perazzi

Thanks Jim, I owe it all to watching you and Carl Chadwell... Southpaw experts...

Well, when your hitting targets anyway...lol.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why take such a risk with the economy in it's current condition? I hope it's a success too. Mason is one of my favorite shoots locations.

11. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

I believe the MTA money shoot has the best chance yet of being successful, irrespective of the past Michigan handicap shoots some have referred to.

The MTA has had the fore-thought to solicit and attain some great sponsorship; sponsors who are, no doubt, contributing some significant dollars to this shoot. The MTA Board believes this shoot can be successful and the sponsors obviously feel the same. Between the MTA running their shoots like a finely tuned watch, our great Michigan/Mason grounds (now with great food too, :<)), little competition from other nearby state shoots and the sponsorship they're receiving, it has a very good opportunity for success. Anyway, one way or the other, to be successful sometimes you just have to take a risk and go with your gut. Kudos to the MTA Board for not letting this shoot die.

Hey Tom, we have one spot left on our squad, would you like to shoot station 2?

The Old Fowler - Cliff Schultz

12. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I hope I'm dead wrong but with the turnout this past weekend it doesn't look good. Jaqua's also has their annual Flag City Shoot going on at the same time. They have $5,000 added money on Sunday's handicap alone!

Good luck to all who shoot the money shoot.

Matt Ski

13. J D

J D TS Member

Don't get me wrong Jaqua's is a fantastic place to shoot.
    But when I see added money it just means that the big dogs will split the money.
    At the MTA money shoot the winner of each yardage group will win a $1000.00. Runner up is $500.00
    Heck a score of 89 could win his or her yardage. To me it just seems fair that you are shooting in competition with the same talent as you. Everyone has a chance at a big pay day. Just my opinion.

JD

14. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Hi Cliff

Thanks for the kind invitation, but I'm still on vacation from registered trapshooting.

I hope you, Bob and the MTA all make some good money at this shoot. For inspiration, here's a pic of you breaking one (as usual) from the 27 at the MTA.

[​IMG]

15. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

"The MTA has had the fore-thought to solicit and attain some great sponsorship; sponsors who are, no doubt, contributing some significant dollars to this shoot. The MTA Board believes this shoot can be successful and the sponsors obviously feel the same. Between the MTA running their shoots like a finely tuned watch, our great Michigan/Mason grounds (now with great food too, :<)), little competition from other nearby state shoots and the sponsorship they're receiving, it has a very good opportunity for success. Anyway, one way or the other, to be successful sometimes you just have to take a risk and go with your gut. Kudos to the MTA Board for not letting this shoot die"

The ONLY thing true about the above statement is the grounds are great. The MTA Board is making a HUGE mistake in backing this shoot. If they would put this "MONEY" and effort into the state shoot we wouild ALL be better off. The trophy list and prizes is so lacking at the state shoot it is a crime. If it were up to me I would FIRE the entire board and all the old cronies that have ruined what would be one of the best state facility's in the country!!!!!

GS

16. BigM-Perazzi

Well, supporting the Money shoot would go a long way toward helping, yes...

17. pullbangloss

JD, if an 89 wins runner up in any yardage group it's bad news because it means the turnout was a disaster.

GS, as harsh as your comment is I heard that from more than a few people Sunday at the state shoot.

Mason is a great club and facility and to me it's heading in the wrong direction.

For example on Sunday they wanted $30.00 to play the lewis on doubles! $30.00 for a 100 bird lewis option on doubles! Are you serious? No, I did not play it. Sometimes less is more. If the lewis was $10 or even $15 I would have played it along with many other shooters I talked too.

The shootoffs. What a cluster! I've been fortunate to be in a few shootoffs the past three years and they have always been a cluster. When your shooting off against a guy for handicap and your on the same yardage shouldn't you be put on the same trap? Not at Mason. Your four traps apart. Same with singles, class shooters should be kept together. Major improvement needed here.

What I've found around our area is less is more. We've reduced the number of targets we shoot and reduced the cost to play options. What what a difference. Shooters have been coming out of the wood works. Our calcuttas have not been this strong in 5 years!

Mason needs to get rid of the preliminary 200 bird singles and doubles and some of these tournaments and reduce the options back to a $10 lewis. I remember the old days at the Spring and Fall team shoots. No classification and it was a weekend long event. No Friday. Again, sometimes less is more.

And the vendors...what vendors? Vendors bring in shooters though it may be for only a day of shooting it still brings in shooters. Got to figure out a way to get some more there. Try giving them a $50 gas card to come or pay for a nights lodging. Anything, something, to get them there!

Just my two cents.

Matt Ski

18. J D

J D TS Member

Hi Matt
    You are very right the MTA needs more vendors. As of now the MTA does not charge the vendors a fee to vend. The MTA thought that would bring more vendors.
    Maybe it may take a year or two to catch on. If you have some idea on how to bring in more vendors, let me know and I will take your ideas to the Board.As far as the purses go there are a few BOD that read Trapshooters maybe things will change. The Michigan Board is trying very hard to make things better. They need help sometimes.
    Your suggestions will be listened to, or anyone else that may have a suggestion.

JD

19. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

Can some one tell me if sub juniors still get half price targets? Also what are the vouchers for and can sub juniors win them?

20. pullbangloss

Steve,

Great suggestions.

If you look at the MTA's problem from a business point of view it's pretty simple. Find out what the guys are doing at other shoots that are successful and copy them.

Here's a few suggestions.

Indiana = They have a Special Event on the final days handicap. This is something Michigan started this year so let's hope it catches on. Shoot offs. John Voliva runs the best shoot offs I have ever seen. He explains where and who each shoot off envolves so that spectators know who there watching and what they are shooting for. The $3.00 chicken dinner on Saturday. It's great! It also shows appreciation to the shooters for coming to there state shoot. Options. There cheap and affordable. A lot of people play them because they are affordable. As I stated earlier, less is more.

Jaqua's = They have a $9 option called the Jaqua's jackpot. This is awarded to any 50 straight in handicap rather it be the first, middle, or last. $9.00! It seems to always pay around $500 for a fifty and at $3 per fifty it's tough not to play it.

Ohio = Need I say more. Got there. Take notes. Learn and bring back the ideas to Michigan.

I also agree with Steve's idea to have "after shooting" activites. The shooters are there in the campground and your done at 4:30 pm so why not keep on shooting. Miss and Out's, protections calcutta's, 50 bird non registered calcutta's. Jaqua's does this at their Flag City Shoot and they are a big success. Just remember to make them affordable. $10 max. Then let the buyers go nuts!

See if you can bring in an exhibition shooter. Have them put on a show at the end of the day and sell beer for $1, popcorn for $1, pop for $1, heck sell anything for some extra money for the MTA.

In closing, just learn from the shoots that are having success and bring these ideas to Mason. It's a great facility that should be packed at every shoot but still has yet to be accomplished.

Matt Ski

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.