1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MTA Michigan thoughts on improvements NO BASHING

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapwife, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We enjoy Mason. They have worked hard in the past few years to make big improvements. Better seating behind the shoot-off traps would be nice.....

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Less trophies and money for the high average shooter's and more for the one's without resolve, committment and talent!

Curt

3. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I agree with trapwife... Putting in some bleacher seating would be a great improvement.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

No rain and the "Squadding Nazis" could smile :) when they hand you your squad!
    On the serious side, nothing that I can think of as a common shooter. There was a lot rift about the trophies last year but thats not a priority to me. An attempt to get more vendors would be nice. I generally like to shoot at Mason.

5. blacklab

blacklab Member

i go to several state and sat. grands east of the mississippi. i find that gererally, mta runs the best shoot. u start on time and minimize the time between events. my only suggestion would be to use a system that stops people from pulling multiple squads. u need to know who has signed up for what squad or u invite people just throwing away unused cards. a grand stand behind the shoot-off traps would be nice. otherwise, keep up the good work. hope to see u next weekend for the fall team shoot.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Something I'd like to see implemented everywhere is squad 1 full and each squad down the line full till the last squad. It messes with my little mind when I'm pre-squadded for #50 and shoot the first flight out. Way too many partial squads that should be filled instead of the current method. Hap

7. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

One of my favorite places to shoot!!! The scores at Mason are very high, IMHO, because the targets are set correctly and you can see the target clearly against the background. The payouts sheets come out very fast. The additional camping spaces are great. I think Cat was on the right track earlier this year by trying to increase the number of vendors. Vendors and shooter attendance go hand in hand. Increase one and the other is sure to follow. A review of the money options might need to be done. (Cat please send me a PM if you want my thoughts on the options) Once again, this is a GREAT PLACE TO SHOOT! If my work schedule permits, I will be there for the Fall Team shoot. Hope to see you all there!

Don Cogan
    NW Zone Director
    Ohio State Trapshooting Association

8. MX3BT99

MX3BT99 TS Member

You need more vendors, there a drawing card for the shooters. Shooting and Shopping go hand in hand.
    Try to find different trophies, something other than pocket knives, tall cups, and stuff that will probably collect dust somewhere. I know its hard to find decent stuff at reasonable prices. Even just a few different things can make a difference. Maybe some gift certificates?
    Love the sounds of some bleachers for shoot offs, good idea.

Maybe try a shoot out in handicap.. pick the last digit of a score and they all compete for some sort of prize. Make the entry fee reasonable like $5 so everyone can afford it.

Most of all promote your shoots like no tomorrow..get a buzz going, it will help. Advertise them on here a month before and that will help

9. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Rumor has it that the MTA board of directors has decided to change the targets for 2009 from all orange to the standard orange dome target. I suggest the board choose the New York orange dome target instead of the standard orange dome as the NY orange dome has more color which will show up better against the dark background at Mason. If each day was bright and sunny, then the standard orange dome might be adequate, but as many of us know, Michigan has too many cloudy days to use the standard orange dome target. Break 'em all! TomRuble

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Shooting aspect...great place.........The reasons I did not go to the state shoot...1 Trophies are cheap and shameful [for a state shoot] 2. Black rim targets.........Change those two and I'll return........

GS

11. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Starting later in the day may prevent those empty early squads. The shoot is ran so well there is really no need to start at 9:00 am. Shooting would still be completed early enough were lighting is not at issue.

Less 200 target events. 200 doubles in one event? 200 singles during the fall and spring team? Lot's of people not shooting these events.

Trophy room....needs improvement. Enough said on that subject.

Matt Ski

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ok you asked for it LOL!!

1 I agree with Tom Ruble on the NY style. It is a good compromise on the targets currently being thrown. The all orange is a great bird, until it hits the sky. The NY still gives a large orange area with the contrasting black ring for those of us who don't get on them quite as fast as others or those shooting down on the east end.

2 - Being able to jump onto any squad any time. For example, you classify and are assigned a shooter number. You arrive early at your bank and know you are going to be shooting either alone or on a very short squad. The squad called to the line has only 3 shooters on it and it is either your handicap yardage of a singles or doubles squad. As you are essentially only a number, you should without any problems in the office, jump on that squad if the squad hustler says the position is open. They do this at other clubs with great success and have far fewer short squads. This would really only work with the current system in place at Mason. The computerized software helps to eliminate a lot of the partials.

3 - Games after the main event. If you have never gone to the Missouri state shoot to see what goes on after the registered targets end you are missing something! Fun and games shot until peole get tired of shooting them. Cheap to enter and fun!

4 - Playground/Picnic area for the moms and kids

5 - No bank scramble - It does not work except for those who have presquadded and it is not fair to them If I can shoot wherever I want by just waiting until the day of the shoot to pull my tickets. I have never shot on a bank I did not want to shoot on. It only complicates where I park.

6 - Offer incentives to shooters to score lines to offset labor costs. Also pull needed labor from a "Cleaner, Deeper Pool" if you will. Enforce a strict dress code for all trap help. Boys, If I can see your underwear, or girls, if I can see your not wearing any, you're fired. Simple enough.

7 - Adopt one of the new squadding software programs currently available.

8 - Promote the facility more for corporate outings etc. to generate additional income. Advertise the club as being available for these functions where it will be seen.

9 - Promote the facility more for recreational camping during the off shoot weeks. To do this would likely require some capital investment and some additional improvements.

10 - Check with the MDNR on what would be involved in creating a pond on the property. It is not always something you can do but they do sometime allow you to divert some of the water flow from a creek or river temporarily to fill it. We have the creek running right through the middle of the grounds. Voila. Fishing Pond!

11 - Reinstitute the Handicap Open Shoot or the Linden Awards 300 Handicap event which used to be shot on the prelim days of the state shoot. Some people just like to shoot handicap. A lot of handicap. How about a shoot for them sometime before the Grand???

12 - Schedule more than one work day annually. If you can't make the first one, maybe you can make the second or third one.

13 - Offer the reclaimed shot mined to the shooters first instead of just taking the cash from the operator. Cash is cash. It can always go to the smelter afterwards if it does not all get sold.

14 - Trophies. All trophies MUST be trap related. No more dancing pandas, clocks on rocks etc., pictures of loons regardless of what kind a deal you were cut on them... you get the picture. If you are going to recycle trophies, at least make sure they say the right thing before handing them out. Won a buckle at the 5 man the team shoot a couple years ago that had a handicap open medallion in the center of it. Use more than one trophy supplier as well. Tilden has in my opinion a far better selection of trophies for the shooter anyway. Never put all your eggs in one basket. The engraved beer mugs you used to give away years ago are OK as they are probably the most used trophies in my house!! LOL!!

15 - Hold a charity shoot. Advertise it as such. Get local businesses to pony up cash and prizes. Donate a portion of the proceeds to a worthwhile organization. Special Options etc. to be eligible for some of the prizes. Not all prizes need to be won with a high score. Random draw shootoffs etc. Get the club NOTICED!!! Make it an annual event.

That's all for now. As long as this post keeps getting bumped, I'm sure I will think of something else.

Jeff

13. Mike

Mike Member

- No more partially filled or empty squads in AM
    - Clear TV reception of leader board
    - Radio broadcast of squads on deck
    - RJ Stuart or something like that
    - Less singles, more Caps, Doubles

Mike Stanton

14. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Mike,
    Oh sure, now that Mallory is running 100 straights in doubles you want to see more of them in the program. You are such a good dad! We missed you this summer, get out and shoot more.

Don

15. mobear

mobear Member

One thing that I can think of that I would like changed back, is the the singles on sunday of the team shoots carry the all american points and not the singles on saturday. There are much more shooters on sunday for the singles than on saturday, and all the saturday points do is reward the people who can shoot all weekend, instead of shooting the best scores against the most shooters.

Dan

P.S.

GoldEX, they tried the shooter volunteer thing on a saturday for the team shoot one weekend, and the majority of the shooters acted like they thought it was beneath them to help.

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

I won 5th place in the Handicap event (State shoot) and got a "trophy" deer with a clock embedded in its neck. It was very disappointing. I understand it is a lot of work to get nice trophies at a reasonable price - but it is a weak part of MTA. On the positive side, the Team shoot buckle I got was very nice.

The grounds are good. Not much to improve but the bleacher idea has merit.

Vendors - vendors - vendors. People will come if vendors are there. Stop trying to gouge them. Ask for a donation to be paid after the shoot. Let them determine what the space and time was worth. Your vendor turnout is pathetic and it needs to improve. I spent twice as much at the Cardinal Center this year as I did at Mason - and I live 65 miles form Mason!

Don

17. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

(1.)Suggest NY style targets, for sure. (2.)Set targets each morning realizing that the PAT traps that have the rubber band driven arm MUST be set slower to begin with because when they warm up after throwing a certain number of targets, they will begin to throw faster targets by several mph. This year we witnessed an All American clocking some mid-day MTA targets near 45 mph. (3.)Hold "special events" (additional registered/targets only) for those who need the targets and want to shoot some additional, non-program targets while at Mason. Maybe reserve banks 1 and 2 for these special events. With travel costs as high as they are these days it makes sense to have the opportunity to maximize targets while travelling to a fewer number of shoots.

18. JOND

JOND TS Member

I agree it would be nice to have more venders.What will "vender row"look like when Karl Hampel decides to hang it up? People I talk to at gun clubs in the area that don't throw registered targets are encouraged to go to Mason and shop.Some have actually joined the ATA once exposed to the fun! JOND

19. shotgunsrus

shotgunsrus Member

Heres my .02,The New York style targets are the way to go.Change the 25's pay-off to be one money doing away with the 60/40 pay-off.You break a 24 it pays so little would rather see the shooter who broke a straight get awarded better for it.Some type of playground equipment for the kids.Better trophys and start at 10 instead of 9 ,hopefully to help with the short early squad problem.Make shooters accountable for the squads/positions they pull.Really appreciate the fact that you are asking what we the shooters feel would make for a better place to shoot.Thats definetly a step in the right direction.Thanks to you and all the others that work so hard to make Mason my favorite place to shoot.Hope you and Joe shot well at the Cardinal Center....Moe

20. shotgunsrus

shotgunsrus Member

OOPs,forgot,one more thing...would be nice to be able to be able to receive the leader board on tv while camping...havent had much luck with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.