1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MS Excel Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Zoltan, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

Our gun club has decided to use the Winchester scoring method to level the playing field for our Fall trap league. Here is my question. When using the Winchester method an add-on amount of targets are given to each shooter based upon his/her score.

If a shooter has a 25 no add-on happens
    If a shooter has a 24 no add-on happens
    If a shooter has a 23 the difference between (24-23) *.7 is added to the score
    If a shooter has a 22 the difference between (24-22) *.7 is added to the score

You get the idea as the score goes down.

For those Excel gurus, can you provide me the calculation that would allow me to enter a score and then pass through the scenario listed above to come up with the add-on targets.

Thanks

Roger Edgington

2. Vijay

Vijay TS Member

Try this as an example, put the No. 23 in cell A1 and copy the formula below in cell B1
    =IF(A1<24,A1+(24-A1)*0.7,A1). Then just copy the formula down to the other cells in column B and fill column A with your numbers. I think it will work.

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Give me a few days, I might be able to help.

Ronbo

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Enter your score in cell a1. In cell b1 insert the formula

=max(a1,rounddown(a1+(24-a1)*.7,0))

This produces integer (whole number) scores, which I assume you want, instead of decimal scores produced by Vijay's formula. For example, if the score is 23, Vijay's formula produces 23.7, while mine gives 23. If the score is 19, his gives 22.5, mine 22.

If you truly do want the decimal scores, just leave out the rounddown function, i.e. use

=max(a1,a1+(24-a1)*.7)

As before, just enter your scores in column A, and do an edit fill down in column B.

5. Vijay

Vijay TS Member

I would think he wants the decimal. If the score is 23 and the calculation produces a result of 23, I don't think this would provide the "add-on" amount desired.

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have a solution ready to go if you want it drop me a e-mail, let me know if you want excel 2007 or 2003.

Ronbo

7. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

The formula provided works great.

Thanks

Roger Edgington

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Have a spreadsheet design that I would like to share.

Ronbo

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I run our League using the same Winchester formula however I put the shooters into an Access database and carry the squad totals forward each week for the duration of the League. Access is a lot handier than Excel for a database application however it is not for the faint of heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester scoring for trap