1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MRE's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shannon391, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Check out mountain house long term food. There are other suppliers of food stores if you do a search under food storage. Most are currently on back order.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Why would anyone who doesn't have to want to eat those things? I always prefered the C Rations anyway. Jake

3. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Find someone who has access to a military commissary. They sell them by the case.

Buddy

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Jake, I agree I liked the "Cs" and even the old "Ks" better.(remeber the old days with the smokes inside them)? I guess a few of the MREs are edible, but they aren't gormet food. I'd rather stock up on Bennie Wennies and canned soup!

5. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

At the Commisary today...MRE's $4.33 each, $50+ by the case of 12.

FN in MT

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like C rations better than the MRE. We used to eat MRE's while deer hunting and some were OK. However, they must be about 10,000 calories each as they stick with you and we all gained weight after eating them for a week.

I liked the pound cake and boneless ham and chicken in the C rats. The beef stake and potatoes had about an inch of grease on top if you opened one cold.

The heaters for the MRE's get really hot so be careful. I am told that they are better than water boarding for interrogation when placed in strategic locations on the body.

When camping or deer hunting, the Stagg Chili sold by Sam's makes a really good meal. I cook up some spaghetti, add the chili (1 can per person) and then mix in several slices of American cheese. It is a good meal that stays with you.

Ed Ward

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree, "C's" weren't all that bad......except of course for the Ham & Lima Beans.

I recall when MREs were first introduced, we called 'em "Lurp rations"........tried 'em a couple times, went back to "C" rations.

John C. Saubak

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Don't overlook other items like canned processed ham. I'm not talking about SPAM. Picked some up at Bi-Mart for a camping trip. We were running cold camps for lunch, and hot camps for dinner. We just sliced the ham and made sandwiches out of it. If you have a camp stove it can also be fried for breakfast.<br>
    <br>
    And the cheap Raman type noodles only require boiling water. You can store a lot of them in sealed ammo cans. Especially the extra tall .50 cal or the big 20mm cans.<br>
    <br>
    If you need milk, don't forget powdered milk. Useful if you have water. It, too, can be stored in ammo cans.<br>
    <br>
    And good ol' pork -n-beans can be eaten straight from the can if need be.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, the Mountain House food is OK, but it gives a lot of people gas.<br>
    <br>

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Loved the Pound Cake in the c's.

11. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Brian you're not hungry enough. I remember when a lrp ration tasted almost as good as a sirloin steak, and it was mixed with cold water.