1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mr Winston ,I need some pattern info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kemen053, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Neil , I am going to run some patterns through Dr AC's program and I have seen in the past that you refer to some guns as "good shooters",can you send or post some typical results of what you think is a good shooter.If you have any 1oz info it would be of help as well.Many thanks Ross

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ross, if a gun reliably shoots patterns above 75% at 40 yards with my (own) standard test shells, Federal Gold Medal papers, I call it it good. At 34 yards, where I test for singles, everything's OK, I guess. If I wanted more pellets, I'd just use more choke.

What? No consideration of evenness? Holes? Flyers?

No, or at least not yet. My library tells me the American Rifleman's staff article on central thickening (April, 1980, page 26) is in transit and maybe that will give us something to think about. Until then I'll depend for advice on Andrew and Ed Lowry, the latter writing in August 1990:

"One principal consequence of all three experimental programs was a greater appreciation for the traditional pattern percentage in the 30" circle. From that simple measure we can establish all the patterning properties of a given ammunition. . ."

"One final matter to be cleared up is the patchiness issue. None of Olin's three big pattern programs could find any evidence of excessive patchiness. Nor could they identify any potential physical mechanism (such as old top wads) that could produce "holes" in patterns,

"So just how serious is the problem of patchiness in shotshell patterns? It is not serious at all simply because, with shells of current manufacture, patchiness is virtually a dead issue."

Neil

3. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Thanks Neil,Hopefully I will shoot a few patterns in the morning and run the numbers,not that i think there is a gun problem,but it does not hurt to check.Do you find differences in 20" and 30" percentages ,between guns that have the same overall %,the old "hot core" we hear of?.I leave it here at the moment,but I do have a few more questions for you on aftermarket barrel work,if you have the time,thanks Ross

4. Neil Winston

I've just run into some very interesting - to us, Ross - things about 1 1/18, 1 and 7/8 oz patterns which directly address the "hot core" issue. Can you wait a day?

Good luck patterning. As you say, it never hurts to check.

Neil

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Neil

Is there any difference in the size of the pattern between 12, 20, 28, 410 gauge if all have the same variables (distance, choke, shot size, powder, etc.) ?

when i patterned my sub gauge tubes(20,28,410) at 15 yards for POI the size appeared to be the same ??

thank you,
    ernie

6. Neil Winston

I'm sure the party line is just as you say, ernie. I'm also pretty sure that in real life it's more complicated than that since the pattern density will drop as the pellet count drops. In other words, to get modified (pellet-count-wise) performance you will need more choke as the shells get smaller. And that will mean a smaller pattern, just as someone who didn't know all this stuff would predict (but for the wrong reasons, if that makes a difference.)

Neil

7. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Hi Neil ,34 yard patterns returned 219 in the 20", 92 inthe 20-30. 215/94, 238/93..40 yrds 181/97 ,184/98.These were Federal 1oz 1240 fps Gold Medal sporting loads 375 counted pellets.I have not worked Andrews system out yet ,but we will.Thanks Ross

8. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

up for Neil

9. Neil Winston

Ross, it looks like good full-choke performance of about 75%. One thing you must have noticed is those 40-yard patterns looked "full of holes" and you can hardly believe it's going to work - but it generally does, "generally" being said twice.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.