1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mpls Gun Club Turkey Jackpot Results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phil Kiner, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

"THE Prez" won something -- I figured he was so busy trying to figure out something clean to say about that bunch of dirty dogs he runs with that he did not have time to shoot

2. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I think it is important the real facts about this shoot are told for all to hear. Yes, the Prez did come away with the top prize on a tough, dark day. Not only was his 49 high for the day, no one else could even mange a 48. Yes, the cream does apparently rise to the top.

While the cream was rising, the grizzled old vetern shooter, the Jimmy Bowen character, struggled as usual. Despite shooting on practically every squad, he could not manage to shoot any kind of a winning score. As a mater of fact, he was unable to capture a turkey either. On one fateful squad, he managed to almost corral the gobbler until the last target escaped the path of his shot column. Yes, it seems the Bowen man has a serious choke problem, and we don't mean the one on the end of the barrel. He even weaseled his way on to a squad with the Prez and three other turkey winners. What does Jimmy Bowen do? He drops the first target out. Not even the leadership of his four prize winning squad mates could put a gobbler on the Bowen mans Thanksgiving table.

Of course, Jimmy once again left his namesake Bowen gun on the wall back home, opting instead for his Beretta unsingle. I guess when he's sitting at home this Thursday, watching the football games and smelling the aroma of a Thanksgiving Day HAM, he will be able to look up on the wall and admire the fine lines of his Bowen, which now seems to be permanently mounted to the wall. The perfectly shaped stock, custom fit for Jimmy's fat cheeks. The nicely engraved receiver with the golden hunchback shooter, proudly breaking a target on trap one of some imaginary club. The finely tuned barrel, when placed in the hands of a competent shooter, capable of turning any target into a cloud of dust. Yes, I guess Jimmy might as well leave this fine specimen on the wall. The Beretta fits his skill level much better.

3. dward

dward Member

I usually try to stay out of these "Presidential Debates", but I feel a need to tell the "rest of the story". But first I want to say that it was a great turn out and a lot of fun, and I actually kept my head screwed on tight enough to capture one of the birds myself. Truth be told I hooked a tow strap to Jerry Demulling and let him drag me to the 25x25 finish line. Every time Jerry smoked a target on the way to his 25x25, I just told myself to do it just like Jerry did and it worked. So as I feel I owe him something, Jerry's welcome to have my giblets........from the turkey of course.

Prez Zs 49 really was quite impressive given the cloudy and windy conditions we had. So my hats off to him! But his comments about cream rising to the top are quite an understatement, as I would say it was more like curdled sour cream rising to the top!! Old Zs first round was a whopping 40 (23-16s & 17-handicap)....so he not only won first place, he won the most improved shooter award for the day!

And as for Prez Ws performance, I was on the post right ahead of him and witnessed that 25th target flying away with his turkey. It was a sad sad thing to see. But I still can't believe that his two headed coin didn't insure he got the one turkey we drew for??????

But to be honest, the thing that impressed me most was watching Sally Stevens out there without a hat on making the rest of us look like pansies on her way to smoking 25 straight! Good shooting Sally!!!!!!!

So now everyone knows "the rest of the story"! Big Dan

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Jimmy, and the winner of the 2007 summer league top trap gun award winner was????? As I recall he topped your total by a bit more than the two target squeeker you had this year.

Keep admiring your gold guilded Bowen. It doesn't come out to play when it's cold. It doesn't come out to play when it rains. It doesn't come out to play when the event is doubles. It doesn't come out to play when the event is handicap.

Considering the only time it comes out to play is when the sun is shining, the wind is quiet, the targets are set by the shooter, and no witnesses are there to see the actual targets break, I would hope you won something. If you couldn't win under those conditions, you would have even less reason to remove it from the wall.

The Prez

5. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Jimmy boy....I'm glad your comming to Iowa, where you will receive the respect you most certainly deserve. We treat our tourists in a special way. I know, you have traveled all across this nation and never been called a "tourist".

Bring the Bowen gun and maybe we can sell it one of the local boy's down here. Maybe get a 870 Express trade-in. We all started trapshooting with a 870.

Maltzie

6. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

My question would be how much extra would poor Ithaca$$$Grade have to throw in with his Bowen to get just one 870, unless of course it's used.

7. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Well ya Zman....thats all us poor folks have in SW Iowa....used guns. I'm just tryin' to get my friend a new start in the trap game. We shot a cap round with him at Owatonna, and his struggle was obvious. More gun than he can handle even with his brain engaged. We're thinkin' an 870 would be back to basics for the big guy.

Another problem.... Jim boy is driving all the way down here to shoot pheasants and there ain't no damn road chickens anywhere in SW Iowa. Guess now we need to figure out who the girl friend is. None of them Clearfield girls have teeth. I got the last good one, and it was over 30 years ago. Its a puzzlement.

Maltzie

8. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

You have to remember, Jimmy Bowen is not very particular when it comes to his choice of "outside" female company. Two-four legs, 14-87 years of age, body temp above 65 degrees and it's a go for Jimmy.

9. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

This is what happens at the Mpls Gun Club when Jimmy Bowen isn't there. He finds a way to keep the winners close to home. Rumor has it that Mike Stadt is actually the bastard son of Jimmy and one of his favorite female sheep. Apparently the father of the "coin flip" was on a hunting trip in Iowa 29 years ago. He was down hunting with the Southwest Iowa boys and their then leader, The Litterest. Of course, just like now, none of them could ever hope to hit anything with a shotgun. So after a few hours in the field, and no birds, they set to drinking their favorite corn mash. Now Jimmy, being a Minnesota Polish boy, was new to this kind of activity. He was soon awash with the stuff and fell victum to the "SW Iowa Initiation" ceremony. Since it has been pointed out that this is a family type site, I will avoid the details and just say Jimmy took right to the hip boots. As a result of this strange encounter, Mike was soon born and Jimmy now makes regular trips to Iowa to "pheasant hunt". Now you do know the rest of the story.

Mark Zauhar, your reporter "in the know".

10. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Ithaca, I think you answered your own question about the Iowa stampede crowd.

As for your son Mike, he tied two others and won the way you, his father, always win, with a coin flip!

11. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Jimmy B, you have just described a little bit o heaven!
    Ya know the economy has hit us hard down here. When corn got to $7 a bushel, damn near stopped production. Next time your down I'll get ya a pint of oct. 08. Make Denny's banjo sound like Jimmy Hendrix.

P.S. Found your boots in the hayloft.

12. MAC100

MAC100 TS Member

Mike Stadt ---Congrats Buddy! I knew that when I taught you how to shoot-you were sure for success! Now cut me in on 1/2.
    Marc Macke

13. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I'm with y'alls, JimB...... on the 4 legged loves.

I always tell my wife that every man is entitled to one good dog and one good woman in life. And, Ive had 2 really good Labs.

Its OK , shes a country girl from Clearfield and understands.

Maltzie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mpls gun club shooting results