1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MPH?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

How fast are the birds supose to fly?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

At my club I believe we have settings around 41mpg out of the house with the speed gun.

I don't like the speed gun approach (solely), because they've gotten lazy setting targets by only guessing at heights, etc., and then only using the speed gun. The speed gun is good for times when you can set distance due to wind conditions - and in this state that is a common occurrence. That's why we have a B1 bomber base nor far away - WIND!

I am a firm believer that you FIRST set them with the 10' stake, and once you have achieved the correct straight-a-way for distance, then you recheck with the speed gun.

Anyway, the quick answer to your question is in the first sentence.

WW

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

ATA Rules, Section XIII, F: "The correct speed for a singles or handicap target is a minimum of 42 MPH. The correct speed for the right target of a doubles pair must be a minimum of 39 MPH."

If you're asking about skeet targets, the high house bird is to be set at 46-46.9 mph; the low house bird at 48-48.9 mph.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

43 MPH works out well

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where the gun is pointed is getting to be a problem and the refusal to use a Tbar continues to be a problem of setting consistent targets. It's happening almost everywhere I go. Setters with their own ideas of how to throw targets are still cooking the shoots. There's still no consistency.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Barry, where the gun is pointed in not a problem. Horizontal is preferred, but pointed up makes little or no general difference. The beam the gun sends out is not like a pencil, more like a fan and it will respond when it sees something, even on the edge of its sensitivity.

However, I can't argue with the rest.

Neil

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

MTA Tom has it right. BUT you notice that ATA specifies the MINIMUM speed. Using a good radar gun you can read in tenth's of MPH. As Lou has stated 43'sh tends to work better on singles unless you have no wind at all. As Neil has posted previously, we've also found that 40 MPH on the right hand bird tends to give you a better PAIR of doubles.

Tom, thank you for the information on the skeet tagets.

8. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I agree with Barry C. Roach completely. Todd

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with you Todd. The T bar is still needed to provide consistancy between fields. I can't stress enough the use of the higher powered gun that measures in tenth's. Shoot often while we can, Bob

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil. I really don't know much about the specifics of the radar guns. I do know which ones are the better guns, thanks to you, but I didn't know about the " fan effect ." I don't understand that but I don't understand a lot of things.

What happens if the gun is raised to about the level of 12' at where the T-Bar should be. I have seen that and assumed it would read slower there than at the lip of the house. What's the scoop in this scenario?

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Poor bird @ 42 mph. Shot travels @ 852 mph. 1250fps x 60 seconds=75000 feet x 60 (min. per hour) = 4,500,000 divided by 5280 (ft. in a mile) = 852.27mph

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Barry- The radar gun should be held level, around shoulder high and not pointed at the T-bar. But if someone insists on doing it that way, there will be little difference in the speed reading of the target. The gun should be set on peak speed, and not continuous speed. In this mode, the gun will only register the fastest speed of the target. It is also important to hold the radar gun steady and do not try to follow the target with the gun.

You are correct in assuming the targets slow down in the air. A target that leaves the house at 43 MPH is typically broken around 35 MPH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.