1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MPG Ford V8 pickup

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slowdp, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Anyone have a 2011 or 2012 Ford V8 Pickup?

What mileage? Please be honest!

Would you buy another one? If no - why not?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't have any pickup right now but I thought I would pass along some trivia about them. I an one of the drivers for the Enterprise Car Sales office that is number two in the country for sales volume. We get to drive all kinds of vehicles for short trips as well as long ones. Not long ago, I drove a 2011 F-150 extended-cab short-box 4x4 pickup 50 miles to a credit union where we keep a vehicle on display and brought back a Chevrolet K1500 twin - same year, body and drivetrain. The Chevrolet was MUCH more comfortable than the Ford yet I never noticed it until I drove the two back-to-back like that. When I mentioned it to other drivers, they said the same thing.

I later got to make the same comparicon with a Dodge Ram and it, too, rode much nicer than the Ford. Yet the Ford is, in my opinion, the nicest-looking one and obviously outsells the other two.

Then last week, I drove another 2011 F-150, this time a short-box 4x4 crew cab, from south-central Pennsylvania to just shy of the Canadian border and back in one day. Let's just say I was very glad to get back.

For what it's worth, fuel economy might not be the only qualifier you want to consider. Be sure to test-drive them as close to one another as possible.

Ed

3. porky

porky TS Member

TTT

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My brother is a die hard Chevy man but is considering buying a Ford. He is a construction superintendent and their company trucks are all Fords and he has been amazed at the fuel mileage. His personal company truck is a 2011 F250 4x4 and is loaded computers, printers toolboxes etc. When he can get regular gas he has gotten as high as 20MPG but that wasn't running 80MPH. At that speed he gets around 17MPG. He turned in a 2009 like truck with a 5.4 and didn't get as good mileage as his 6.3. I think the Fords all come with a 6 speed auto. Dodge comes with a 4 speed auto and Chevy is avail with a 4, 5 or 6 speed. Some of his workers have the econo boost f150 and love them. They were surprised at the power to pull a trailer as well as speed. Jackie B.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My 2004 GMC 1500 5.4 L 4WD gets 15 mpg for every day driving. It will do 18-19 mpg on a trip.

Jim Skeel

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

The co i work for used to be all ford, we started switching to Toyota and the mpg went up by 3-4 mpg pluss they are made in the USA with USA steel, at least that is what the sticker says.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Must not be many 2011 or 12 Ford 5.0 V-8 owners out there. Most must have gone with the ecoboost.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I just retired but my old boss had a new Toyota 4x4 and he said the best he ever got was 17 on the highway. He gets 10 to 12 pulling his boat and 14 town and highway. It is very strong and fast though. Jackie B.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

New Ford 6.0 getting 20 mpg is what my friend says about his. Lots of power. I like it. He also has a new 6.7 diesel and it is really powerfull and quiet

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Toyotas get 15 on cruise on the highway with a tailwind. Otherwise figure 12-14. Same for the Nissan Titan. The best fuel economy out ther for 4x4 full size trucks is the Ford line. And the new Ford diesel is as queit as a church mouse while running. Hard to believe how far the diesel trucks have come.

11. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I drive 2010 F150..v8..flexfuel..4x4..club cab.for work..3500 miles a month..average 14mpg...

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The 5.4's are gas hogs for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.