1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving your gun.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Anyone who has taken a lesson with me knows that I pay paticular attention to not moving a gun before the target appears. Who has experienced this problem and what was your cure.

Joe

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- I have experienced the problem. I do not know what the cure is for this problem. I have seen with me and other shooters, three types of premature gun movement. One involves holding a high gun and moving toward the target before it get above the level of the gun. Another, and most common, is a downward movement of the gun as the shooter calls for the bird. My favorite is calling for a bird on post one and moving the gun to the left in anticipation of a hard left. The trap machine knows when I am going to do this and it always throws a bird to the right.

Pat Ireland

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Patience and self control.

Curt

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Slow pull them unexpectedly until you break the habit.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Since all trap targets are moving up at first it is a good idea to have your gun moving up when you call for the bird. This head start allows you to shoot the bird sooner before it is affected by whether conditions. HMB

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I haven’t thought about such in a while but a couple of things I have seen work are: Extend your call until you see the target – Pullllllllllll etc.; the other is basically what Lead Man said but I have used the Ventriloquist voice release system set on “bad call” or “International Delay”. The Ventriloquist system has three settings for the target release – Norman Delay, No Delay and Bad Call or International. The bad call and international setting is a random delay and helps you learn to not move the gun until you see the target.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Hmb- I have to ask! what happens to you if you get slow or inconsistent pulls does it hurt your scores.

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have this problem, and work hard to overcome. I have found that if I focus really hard on one spot for about 1 - 2 seconds after mounting the gun and staying relaxed that I tend to not move as much. This past weekend I had a few premature released and broken targets and I did not move when the target came out. I also had one slow pull that I did not move on. Bottom line relax and say to yourself (DO NOT MOVE UNTIL YOU SEE THE BIRD)!

Ronbo

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

10. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

Joe, Here's the one that worked for me. Go to your local club when you have a chance to shoot a couple of practice rounds. Talk to the scorer prior to the round and ask if he would be willing to pull your target for you once you have the gun mounted in position. When it’s your turn mount your gun and wait for the scorer to pull your target. There’s no way that you will move your gun because you will not know when it's going to appear. Shoot a couple of rounds and then try one with your call. It might take a couple of weekends to work it out. Sounds a little goofy but it did fix my problem.

Rich V...

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

I use Phil Kiners method of closing your eyes prior to calling for a target. If you do this enogh you will find yourself feeling like you have all the time in the world to take the shot. It just a matter of convincing your mind that the target cannot get away.

12. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have a terrible habit of moving my gun up "just a little as I call". When I do this I shoot those puppies so fast that it scares me. Unfortunately, I miss too many with this method. If I can hold my gun perfectly still when calling I do not miss very many. Seems simply " Why do the voices tell me to move the gun?".

Charlie

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Most folks don't believe they move the gun before identifying a bird; at least in my experience. I solve it by hand pulling birds and sneaking as many "no birds" or signifcantly slow birds until they finally agree that they are moving the gun too soon and often making multiple moves because of it. I use the same method with handgunners who are adamant that they do not flinch resulting in low and left hits. I load their gun and hand it to them. After a few times that the hammer falls on an empty shell, they decide to work on their flinchitis......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

First.. I think some of our younger shooters can add something to this conversation despite the fact they are not AA27AA shooters.. They have more recently had the problems many describe..and not being set in the ways of a older salty trapshooter..much could be learned.. If you ever want new blood here.. you'll need to listen to there thoughts too.. older trapshooters know everything.. and would not ask such a question..

I'll add my 2 cents.. First.. pull for the shooter..and sometimes don't press the button.. many don't know they are shooting the call.. once they become aware of it..that fact can really help many think... Then.. I also drop my hold point..I being a one eyed shooter found that holding on the lower edge of the trap house allows me to see the target quicker..and gives me more time to track a correct path to the bird..

Lastly.. If one would shoot just 1 round of bunker.. Moving up.. or left or right before you see the target will get you know where if you have a grasscutter..

The BEST advice I ever got was from a very well known shooter.."Mike..call the bird,see the bird.. take the extra 1/2 second to MAKE IT RIGHT.Break the bird." That was given to me by Leo.. I think he knows what he's doing..

There can be many answers to this question.. some might sound uncommon..that might be the one that works for you. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.