1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Yonkers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lgunluvr, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lgunluvr

lgunluvr Member

I will be moving to Yonkers in April. Any info, and opinions, on local trap shooting facilities would be appreciated.

Thank You

jack

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My heart goes out.....

3. DanLee

DanLee Member

I don't live there and don't plan to visit until my daughter graduates from Sarah Lawrence. I suspect you'll have to drive a long way out of town to do any legal shooting. Illegal might be another matter, but I think the locals have that covered.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My sincere condolances....

Curt

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good grief WHY?

6. wannagolden

wannagolden Member

Hi Jack,

Welcome to Yonkers. There are a a few places close to Yonkers.

Blue Mountain Sportsman's Center - A public range in Peekskill. Open for trap Thurs - Sunday. Get a county park pass (or just tell them you have it but it's in your car) and games are $6 a round. They also have skeet, as well as large and small bore. 1/2 hr from Yonkers.

Mt Pleasant Sportman's Club - near Briarcliff Manor. Private, but they have ATA shoots and you can join the league which is on Sundays. During the spring they are open on Wed from 2-5, but are hesitant to let outsiders shoot unless they know you can. So Sunday's are best when the club is fully open so they can check you out. 25 min. from Yonkers

North Jersey Clay Target - Fairfield, NJ off route 80. Open to the public. Not sure of their hours, but open most days to the public. They host the ATA Northern Zone Shoot. About 50 minutes.

Wooster Mountain in CT. Think it's only open on Tues for public shooting. About 1 hour from Yonkers.

Staten Island Sportsman - Staten Island. One of my favorite clubs and the food is really great! Open Wed and weekends. Call for info as I'm not sure if it's mostly private, but you can shoot ATA there.

Whortlekill Rod and Gun, Wappingers Falls. A bit far, but they have ATA. 1.5 hr

7. JEB

JEB Active Member

Willow Wood Gun Club in Mahopak is about 30-40 minutes north. It is a private club but has registered shoots. Good group of guys. Worth going to.

JEB

8. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Trap shooting as above, somewhat sparse. The food, however is great, I worked there for years and miss it greatly. Giulios, Tacos el Poblano, Dom and Vinnys and even Big Bird Jamaican soul food, plus great pints and pub grub at Manions and Taras....enjoy

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

come on down to long island,,, suffolk trap in yaphank,and brookhaven town range in ridge,,both public,,and peconic river sportsmans club , privite but holds ATA shoots, exits 67 and 68 off of the LIE aka 495

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I think you'll find it to be the home of Kimber firearms...

11. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Try this web site
    Pete

12. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Keep your gun close....

13. lgunluvr

lgunluvr Member

Thank you for the response. Blue Mountain was recommended by my landlord, but he hadn't been there in quite some time. Will also give the others a run. Why am I moving there? To boost my retirement. In six years I can retire, and move to East Tennessee or West Virginia. Hoping to meet you local shooters soon; you'll then see why I've got my handle.

Thanks again

Jack

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

With it's unique name, I've heard of Yonkers from old movies but never knew what it was like in the past and how it's changed to this day. Without prejudice, would someone give us a accurate assessment of Yonkers? I love geography and demography and am just curious. Thanks

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Somewhere I think I read, Yonkers was the first suburban sprawl outside of New York City

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

To boost your retirement? Sounds suspect. Don't know where you live now, but the cost of living in Yonkers has to be a lot higher than nearly anywhere else except San Francisco.

EE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.