1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to North Carolina

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trifecta, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trifecta

Trifecta TS Member

An open letter to all residents of the fine state of NC. I'll try and keep this short. My wife and I are looking for a retirement home in NC. Nothing fancy, but not a cabin either. We live in a 1680 square foot cape (in New England). I would prefer the west side of the state, closer to the B/R mountains, maybe more fishing and less citified. However, I'm not ruling out anything on the eastern side either. I know this question is subject to personal opinion, but is there a starting point someone could recommend for a county or even a mid-size or small town that seems to be a clear winner when it comes to all things important to a soon to be retired, semi-old guy (58) and his wife who enjoys the outdoors and try's to mind their own business (most of the time)? And yes, the number of gun clubs that offer trapshooting is very important. Golf is kind of important too.

I just re-read this post and I almost feel like an idiot. I realize that this email is rather naive, but I'm dead serious. Your thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated. If you would rather send reply to my email directly, you may do so. If your going to be negative, please be gentle.
    Thanks to all for your consideration.

Ken Flanagan

2. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Asheville/Brevard area would be the place to start................

3. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Whatever you do stay away from a gated,yuppie -ized community, its like an asylum being run by the inmates----Phil

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

ashville

bill

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

trifect,

I live in Cary, outside Raleigh, so I'm partial to this area. From here, I can be at Wrightsville Beach in under 2.5 hours, and in Boone (Blue Ridge Parkway) in about 3.5 hours.

Asheville gets good marks, but has some problem areas, like any city. I've never spent much time there, but somehow just never liked it.

Hickory also gets good marks. Not in the mountains, but close. From Hickory, you can get to Charlotte easily. I feel the same way about Hickory as Asheville.

The area around Greensboro is a nice compromise. You can also shoot at Rockingham County near Reidsville, Buckhorn near Mebane, and you're not too far from the NC Homegrounds in Bostic. For ATA shoots, Buckhorn has monthly shoots, The Rock not as often but they have a lot of non-reg. shoots. Fort Bragg is driving distance, along with my club between Raleigh and Durham.

www.nctrap.com shows most of the clubs.

Pinehurst is the golf capital, but not cheap by any means, housing nor golfing. There are courses all over this state. For the best golf, to my mind, the area south of Wilmington is nice. From there, you have literally hundreds of courses to choose from, if you include the Myrtle Beach area. Shooting is not so good there, though, from what I see.

Danny

P.S. Folks from Asheville and Hickory, no offense!

6. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

Ken,

The Greensboro / Winston-Salem area will get you where you want to be. You can be at most of the active shooting clubs in less than 3 hours from there.

Buckhorn - 1 hour Rockingham - 1 hour

Boone - 2 hour Ft Bragg - 2 hour

Homegounds - 2 hour Buncombe - 2.5 hr

OHRM - 3 hr Gastonia - 45 min

You can also be at out of state clubs in reasonable time.

Pinehurst is an hour +/- depending. There are many, many other great golf courses throughout the area.

Fishing is nearby - both lake and stream (Boone has a nice trout stream running through the property)

Great bunch of people there.

As a "coincidence", I have a home for sale just a little south of Winston. Nothing fancy at all. Solid 3br brick rancher on about a half acre in a good neighborhood that you can get to anywhere you want easily.

Have a great day! Dan

7. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I am in Brevard, I've even got a house for you....drop me an email, I am not a real estate salesman..WC

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are so many good places to choose. The Raleigh-Winston corridor as well as the Charlotte area, seem like big cities to me. Boone-Asheville are a bit crowded with tourists for me. Forest City is a great small town near shooting and the Mountains. Come down to the NC state shoot next month and look around. Living in the Carolinas is great, almost as good as Virginia. Gasoline is cheaper in both VA and SC.

Pat Ireland

9. rdf59

rdf59 Member

The NE Georgia mountains are just like the Western NC areas. Beautiful mountains, pretty lakes, nice people and great four seasons.

Hiawassee and Blairsville, GA have real estate prices that are a bit more attractive than Western NC. Hiawassee has a gun club that is 7 miles from the center of town. (you would not live in the center of town so mileage is not important -- let's say it's close). We shoot trap on Weds throughout the year and have 4 weekend matches.

Sporting Clays is available near Blairsville and both registered trap and clays are available in Gainesville, GA.

The area is low key. Lots of people are moving here who are comfortable, but not wanting the Naples lifestyle that seems to be the trend in many of the NC mountain communities. They have just moved Naples to the north Mountains.

Some here can afford that, but they don't want it. They just want the beauty of the mountains, the great trout fishing, the waterfalls, the abundant art of all types, the bluegrass festivals, the Sat night dirt track races and the very, very nice people who were born and raised here.

10. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Think Maggie Valley

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Ken:

If you send me a "good" email address, I'll email you some great information.

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

There is a reason why the Asheville area is on everyones "top ten" retirement/great places to live list...I'll let you research it, but within a 30-mile radius of Asheville are some wonderful smaller towns with loads of character (Waynesville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Black Mountain). As for trapshooting...there is a small (3 trap fields + five stand) but very active club a few miles south of Asheville...and within an hours drive is Spartanburg Gun Club (home of SC State championship and numeraous other events), NC State Homegrounds (Bostic, NC)...a little further is Hog Heaven in eastern Tennessee...a wonderful facility with great people who really know how to treat shooters...and more. And Bob Schultz Target Shotguns is nearby (Hendersonville), as well. As for golf, there's a great variety. If you want mountains, streams & lakes, culture (local and otherwise), natural beauty, civic pride, trapshoting and golf, this area has to be a top choice...but, it ain't cheap! But then, cost is relative.

WNCRob

13. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Asheville has fallen from 1st to 6th best place to live in America. Perhaps you should look at the other 5 first. Its harder to find a native Western North Carolinian than hens teeth. Very boring place to live. Nothing going on, weather terrible, scenery blighted, water polluted, targets made of stainless steel, powder and shot unavailable, rain wet, snow cold, sun hot, waay too many imports that support Obama, and it takes a lot more gas to go uphill all the time and its uphill everywhere you go. We do have electricity in the downtown areas now and indoor plumbing is pretty common anymore. Other than all this its a pretty fair place to live. Oh, don't forget about the Rattlesnakes and copperheads that abound and don't concern yourself with the mosquitos as we have surplus WWII anticraft guns that fire all night long to keep them in check.

14. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

FPBristol...

Member of the Visitors Welcome Bureau, right?

15. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

You got it Rob. Enemy of the local chamber of commerce and president of the local chapter of Mountains for Mountaineers.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

stay away from the city, be a country boy and enjoy your retirement. Enjoy the barbeque in NC

17. seaone

seaone TS Member

Gentlemen,
    I wanted to personally thank y'all for pointing me in the right direction. Seems lots of folks are living in or near the perfect county in NC. With such a beautiful state, who could blame them.

A lot of people through this thread and those that took the time to email me at home provided details and short histories of their recommendations. A really nice gesture. I am in your debt.

I will be visiting Davidson at the end of July for a family reunion. We have decided to spend another week in a Western N/C search mode, probably a clockwise loop going close to Asheville (not in it)and ending back at Charlotte.

Seems to be a plentiful number of fine trap clubs in the south west part of N/C, so with any luck, I will most likely try bring my faithful KS-5 and try to break some N/C targets.

I was surprised at one thing however, I really expected to hear from the most revered man in North Carolina, I believe his name is Fred Redmond (nomderf?).

Hope I get to meet a lot of you fella's and again, the information is sincerely appreciated. BTW, I'd really like to meet FPBristol and see if he really is the tallest tale teller in N/C. Quite a sense of humor!

See you guys soon.

Ken Flanagan

18. gunner

gunner TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Finley meant to say was, the eastern part of North Carolina is a much better place to retire to than the mountains, especially if you're from up north.

19. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

The easter part of the state ISN'T the best place for those from the northeastern corridor area ! We have had a number of this liberal crowd move down & proceed to tell us how backward we are & how we don't have all the better things available as they had back home. Leaves many of us to ask "who the h#@l invited you here ?" Most of the pop. would prefer they not move here. Those that try and get along rather than try and change things to duplicate their former homes seem to find a welcome here. FWIW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.