1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Germay but can't take guns!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cleboje, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleboje

cleboje Member

Moving to Germay but can

I am moving to Germay (army stuff) and my orders say I can't take my personally owned firearms...I am already going into withdrawals over the thought of a three year tour without my shotguns!

What can I do in the Stuttgart area to make the time pass???

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

There is probably a gun club on base with rentals. There may be a gun club (civilian) in or around Stuttgart. You will be just north of the Black Forest and there were a lot of gun enthusiasts in that area in the '70's. Also, you will not be too far from Switzerland and they are big-time shooters.

Can you still buy guns through the Base Exchange. A lot of my buddies bought SKB's and Win 101's while on WesPac tours.

Don't give up, there are alternatives.

HBT

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If I recall, Ulm is somewhere in Germany. You could take a tour of the Krieghoff factory and perhaps even consider a purchase direct from them.

From Wikipedia:
    Ulm is situated at the crossroads of the A8 motorway (connecting the principal cities of southern Germany, Stuttgart and Munich) and the A7 motorway (one of the main motorways running from northern to southern Europe). It is thus in easy reach of both Stuttgart (50 mins) and Munich (90 mins), whose international airports also serve the Ulm area.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Moving to Germay but can

There are MANY shooting clubs in the immediate Stuttgart area... some shoot clays while other shoot pistol and rifle. Google <I>shooting clubs stuttgart germany</i> for addresses. YOU'LL have to either learn some German or find a translator to get full information.

Carol Lister

5. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Cleboje,
    By the time you get back you won't be able to have guns hear either!!!!!!!

6. Smity

Smity Member

I was stationed in Germany in the early ninety's. Unless the laws have changed, I was able to purchase several firearms there and bring them back legally -- shotguns, rifles and pistols. I got some on post (I think it was Mainze Kastel -- it might have been Rein Main AFB, and Grafenweir) and I got some from people that were PCSing back to the US that didn't do the paperwork to bring their guns back (you have get approval from the ATF). I really didn't want all of those guns, but I couldn't pass up the deals -- those PCSing had no choice. They had to sell cheap. I had ATF paperwork for everything when I came back to the US and simply shipped it all in my household goods. The paperwork is easy, just time consuming to get it back from the ATF. You have to start early. So if the laws are the same, you can buy when you get there. Also, there were several ranges to shoot at, but I don't remember any Trap and Skeet. Maybe there was, I just don't know.

By the way, if you're going to be stationed at Stuttgart, your are a short drive from Strasbourg (France), Munich, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, etc. Remember -- you can drive 100 mph with no problem so there will be A LOT within an hour or so.

Good Luck,
    Smity

7. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I was stationed in Wurzburg which is 147 kilometers north and east of Stuttgart. Waffen-Franconia is in Wurzburg. I spent quite a few Saturday afternoons there after I got off duty, looking at the shotguns and watching the gunsmiths at work. It would be well worth your time to take a trip up there.

Vince McNamara

8. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

I'D BE GLAD TO BABYSIT THEM FOR YOU. 4ANDY10

9. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

cleboje,

Take a look at the following website. It lists many shooting ranges in Germany, France, Spain, Austria, Luxemborg & Switzerland along with phone numbers, what they offer and some have websites. They list a trap & skeet club right in Stuttgart.

http://www.wurftauben.de/Staende_english.htm

Hope this helps,

Tom

10. cleboje

cleboje Member

Just a quick note of Thanks to all the good advice on my move to Germany...and yes, the rules have changed drastically...

SOFA is no longer king...now you have to be a member of a german hunting/shooting club AND have passed the german hunting/shooting proficiency exam AND have a german issued weapons permit AND have german gun insurance AND have a german gunsmith proof test your guns AND have a german approved safe to store the guns in...and all this must be in place before you pay to have the gun imported.

Good news is there are ample german shutzenhaus facilities with clubs who allow Americans to shoot...and there are a decent number of shooting/hunting stores to drool in :<)

Now bring on the OCTOBERFEST!!!

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Europe Clubs....

http://www.losttarget.com/europe.htm

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Dang it, tell me it ain't so! I was stationed 6 years in Ansbach and 3 years in Hanau. The first trip I got my Jadgerbief and the second trip my US Forces Hunting Instructors Certificate. Purchased several Guns and shipped home legally. Paperwork not hard to do. At that time there were many USARUER Rod and Gun Clubs that sold guns and ammo. I was blessed to have made friends with local hunters and always had more hunting opportunities than time to hunt. While in Bavaria we were involved with Jadger Trap and was much the same as our ATA as the local clubs held monthly shoots. There were several clubs that also shot on a regular basis. If I were to go back one of the first places I would check would be the local Forester and check on local clubs. Bunker is a big deal in Germany. If you seek it out it is there. Learn the rules and play by them and you will bring back memories you will always cherish. I long for the day I can make a return visit. Most of my hunting contacts have meet the Jadgermiester in der Himmel though. Good luck. Jake. If I can offer any other suggestions please PM me.

13. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Is it really true that the new administration will not let soldiers have guns?

14. cleboje

cleboje Member

Yes, it is true on not bringing guns into or out of the US...my orders state it.

Oh how I miss George Bush!!!

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

If I was going to Germany for three years, my concern would not be WHAT I was going to do but WHO, and how many different ones, ( fraulines ) SP? in that three years.

And OMG all of that beer to try..............

16. englishupland

englishupland Member

If your in Stuttgart you'll end up getting hooked on Porsches and want to spend all you money on those anyhow...Test drive a Cayanne Turbo in the Black forest..Tour the museum, and then try to get into a Gt2 on the ring....

Order yours, watch it being built, and you CAN send that back.

BTW,
    If you find an Krieghoff Ultra or Merkel drilling over there for cheap let me know...

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

english- The guy said he's going over there for millitary duty, not because he won the German lottery.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

What to do with three years in Germany????

BEER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.