1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Chicago........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Well as of this morning I took a job offered to me in the Chicago area. Now I need some advise. Anyone there care to email me and let me know of a good place to live in the suburbs? Any gun clubs near? How in the hell do I get a FOID card? How long does that take? If it werent for the opportunity with this company I had rather live somewheres else but I guess I will adjust.

Forrest

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

We shall pray for you!

Hauxfan!

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

you've got mail,
    Jay

4. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson TS Member

Forrest,

I have sent you mail. There are several of us that live in the suburbs and post on here. Welcome.

--Scott T.

5. kreith

kreith Member

Forrest,

You have mail!!!

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Have you lost your mind??????

7. richrob

richrob TS Member

Best city in the world. Depending how far you are willing to commute there is lots to offer in the suburbs, including several clubs. -Rich

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Famillo if you are like the rest of those idiots up in Chicago you will love it in about 10 minutes. Then you will have to learn to deal with the traffic. Then you will retire and haul ass out of there. :) Welcome to Illinois! The grass grows all summer and it's green. On halloween it'll start raining and quit in late April. Then the farmers grow corn and we shoot trap everywhere we find a spot. I'm sure you'll do fine. Dan

9. 3200

3200 TS Member

Get an iPass . . . . . . . . and commute from Wisconsin 8>) Many do.

10. frank t

frank t TS Member

As for clubs it depends what side of town u live on. Northbrook is up north. St. Charles, Aurora, and Downers Grove are west. Frankfort and Palos are south. All nice places.Where u live is important because the clubs are a good distance from each other.

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Naperville is centrally located. Check out the website. You can shoot every day of the week if you want.

12. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Avoid City of Chicago like the plague. Bad politics, bad schools, high sales tax, anti-gun Mayor-for-Life Daley. Crooked cops making the headlines everyday. Illinois in general is no picnic, but you have to live someplace. Try DuPage County, or better yet, commute from Indiana. Not much further from the opposite direction. Just finishing a 10 year road project which makes commuting much easier, Gas is 20-30 cents cheaper, property tax less. Good gun state with lifetime CC permits. Can't say too much favorable about Lake County, as Gary has been Murder City, USA more than once. Porter County is much better in every category.

13. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

MIA-Palos is South of Rt30 on Harlem Ave. They have NSSA but not ATA shoots.

Larry

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I belonged to the original Palos GC. It was exclusively skeet. A small group of shooters, mostly in the construction business, actually owned the club, including the building and land. Strangely, they built a beautiful clubhouse that could easily be converted to a commercial building. Strangely, that is what eventually happened, and some guys made a huge profit.

15. famill00

famill00 TS Member

THanks for the emails guys. I will contact you all tomorrow. I just got back from seeing my grandma in the nursing home tonight and am about to head to bed shortly. I figured I should see her as much as possible as moving 6 hours away from "home" will make it harder to get here all the time. Once again, thanks for the emails.

Forrest

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Forrest:

When are you moving ok I got a F.O.I.D. card also but it is out of date now but it was easy to get in southern IL just went to the sherif office and told him what he wanted to hear and paid him 5 bucks and I think I giot the card the same day because he did take my lovely photo.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Anyway not for sure about up there but down south is just like KY trust me I have been there and they even have the 4 legged coon's and possum's

I kind of like Shadow's post also he said, Have you lost your mind??????

Well sometimes you got to do what yu got to do.

You will adjust pretty well im sure.

Foghorn220

17. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Take a look at McHenry county depending on where in the city you're working.

Easy access to train stations, lower taxes than Lake county and still very gun friendly.

Couple of trap clubs (McHenry and Bristol) within driving distance and a few local gun stores. You can still buy ammo in the Walmart too.

Lots of goose/duck/deer hunting up here too.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    RUN FORREST RUN!<br>
    <br>

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

I'm jealous ... I love Chicago ... the windy city ... the entire area is fantastic.

Just as a thought and a suggestion ... you might want to mention the general location of your new job (either suburb or city) cause the area is huge and with traffic I might want to be close to work but still in a decent area.

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Here's the foid card website. I don't remember how long it took, but the processing has changed since then. They contracted the work out to somebody in Indiana is what I heard. You might get some time after a move; I don't know. Check the laws...

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.