1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving!! Tigard Or vs Midvale Ut

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 338reddog, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I am in need of a job and a company I have worked for has a branch in both Tigard Oregon and Midvale Ut. Any opinions on either of these areas. It may all be moot if I cant get hired. I have lived in the same area all my life, now my wife and I are ready to find a new area to call home.

Jeff

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So far Oregon is gun friendly because of preemption laws.

The Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood is pretty close to Tigard, and they have a trap range. There are other trap ranges in the area, and with I5 being close you can get easy Interstate access to others.

Oregon has a lot of scenic beauty. The ocean is only about 90 minutes away. Same for skiing. Lots of waterfalls. Lots of lush green forests, but it obviously takes rain for that - lots of rain. We also have high desert, lava fields, sagebrush country, etc. You can spend a lifetime exploring Oregon.

If you need real estate help, my wife is a real estate broker.

3. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Thanks for the info on Tigard. My father lives in Ontario. I like Oregon at least on the east side as thats where I have spent most of my time.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Portland, Tigard was one of the territories I managed so I traveled there a lot. If you love the rain then all good. If you dont, dont consider it. I was there setting up Oregon as a new state for American Family Ins and spent a solid six months staying in Tigard. It once rained for 96 days straight. I was ready to go crazy. It is also expensive and everywhere you look is a purple colored haired freak. There was only one positive for me and that is it is green year round. Also traffic around Tigard is like Chicago

5. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Well I like the rain a little,I dont know about 96 days in a row. purple hair well maybe if the rug matches. Not really.

6. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

Don't know much about Midvale, but as a Oregon resident with a job, I would work any place other than Oregon if I could. The whole state does as the liberals in the populated west side counties want. Bet me that the moment I retire, I'm out of this state & I live on the east side where almost everyone has some common sense but not enough rural votes to change political views. Oregon is just a few small steps behind California in my view.

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Utahs my choice .

8. cubancigar2000

buckshot is correct on that too, it is a Liberals paradise

9. Dogbest

Dogbest Active Member

I lived in the Portland area for four years and loved it. However, it is expensive, the winter weather is lousy. The state income tax was about 9% when I was there. I don't think I'd want to move back there.

10. cubancigar2000

LOL Dogbest how can you love a place but not want to move back?

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Oregon is like NJ, you can't pump your own gas--too much of a nanny state.

Phil Berkowitz

12. d endicott

d endicott Member

If you can stand all of the Liberals and the rain you might like the Tigard area.

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

Midvale Ut. is a suburb of Salt Lake. Some of the best skiing in the world 30 min. away. Lots of good shooting clubs, very gun friendly culture. Winters can get old but the summers are awesome. Great place for someone who enjoys the outdooors. Mike

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

There is an alternative. If its not too far of a drive you can live across the river in Washington State and avoid some of the taxes. I rep a company in Portland and about half of the people who work there including the owner live in Washington.

On another note the Hillsbrough Gun Club has a great bunker.

T

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I was born in and grew up in Portland, east side. I've lived in SE Idaho for almost 30 years, about two hours north of Salt Lake City.

Tigard is a western suburb of Portland, essentially contiguous. The weather is the same, with rain much of the time from October through about June. When I was growing up snow was a rare occurrence, perhaps enough to stick once every other winter.

The Portland area politics are predominantly liberal, and the population much more diverse than Utah. There are large populations of blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Russians, and many others. Gays/Lesbians/Bisexuals have a large, politically active presence.

Outdoor recreation is popular for a large segment of the population. I'd say water sports are more accessible in western Oregon than Utah, but Utah has the edge in most other areas. I've been to two trap ranges in the Portland area. One is the Portland Gun club on SE 174th near Gresham, at least a half-hour drive from Tigard at best. The other is near Beaverton on the west side, somewhat closer.

Midvale is a suburb of Salt Lake City. The weather is typical for the Rocky mountain area - drier (12"-15" precipitation for the year versus Portland's 40"), colder in the winter with snow common, and warm but dry in the summers. The area's population is much more conservative and much less diverse than Portland. More than half of the population in the Salt Lake City area consists of practicing LDS members (Mormons), and rural areas have a much higher percentage yet. This could be a problem if you need establishments that sell alcohol. Utah is much more gun friendly than the Portland area, including the Utah Legislature. Area trap clubs include Spanish Fork (imho the best there is), Lee Kay just west of SLC, Magna, Ogden, Golden Spike in Brigham City, plus others I've not visited.

Oregon has one National Park, Crater Lake, while Utah has Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, plus several National Monuments. Utah has world class skiing, better hunting and mountain recreation. Oregon has the ocean.

I was in Portland this past weekend, and as is often the case, I was anxious to get out of the zoo and back to home. If Tigard or Midvale were my choices, I'd be heading to Utah.

16. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

oldest brother tought third or fourth grade in Tigard ele, back in the 70s give or take, not sure. Still lives in the Portland area, really likes that area. and is some what anti-gun. But then, I think Utah is more gun frindly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.