Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moving the Microphones?

2K views 51 replies 32 participants last post by  Gavin 
#1 ·
This may have been discussed before but I believe that a shooter should replace his/her microphone to the proper yardage instead of letting others perform the chore. In fact I think it should be a rule.

I appreciate that it seems like a polite thing to do but most don't put the mic exactly where the shooter wants it and it's position is 'improved' anyway. It leaves a chance that the shooter shoots from the wrong yardage, as well. The shooter should be responsible for making that error not a well meaning peer.

#28 ·
A lot of you don't get it. I have seen several folks shooting the wrong yardage because a well meaning shooter put the mic on the wrong yardline for the next shooter.

It is the shooters' own responsibility to make sure that they are shooting on their correct yardage, but some don't.

I just think it is better for each shooter to move their own mic. If they make a mistake and shoot from the wrong yardage, it's completely on them.

It's a small thing but tell that to a guy who gets disqualified in a shootoff because the other guy put the mic on the wrong yardage. Lot's of rules are about "small things."

#30 ·
Sorry if someone shot from the wrong yard line, but thats your problem.

Simular issue when you start the event or sub event on a new field, is it the previous squads falt if you are on the wrong yard line? OPPPPS I'm on the 27 and shot at the 20!!!

Moving the mic is polite and helps keep the squad moving, in particular with a change from post 5 to post 1.

Personally, when I change post, I check my position, not other squad members.

#31 ·
Pat,

It may take more time to put the mics on to start with....but imagine how nice it is to not have anything in front of you while you are shooting...saving time for each post, not having each person move the mic that fraction of an inch so it's "exactly" right for them. And as far as them taking them off and on, it's just one more thing the scorekeeper would have to do. There are clubs already doing it. In my humble opinion....It's the future, just as the wired ones were a few years ago. Remember all the naysays then? Of course the shooters would then have to look at what yardage they were standing on, but isn't that why the numbers are in or on the concrete?

Have fun...and shoot well, Rickyd

#32 ·
This moving the mic stuff has become a pain in the you-know-what! I want to move ONLY one mic, MY OWN! Whn you are done shooting please MOVE! The post now belongs to me and I will put it where I want it! It is NOT a courtesy to move it for me, it is a courtesy to move your own! More politcally correct BS runamuck!

#34 ·
Being a chairshooter, it is very appreciated, when the mic is moved, I still may do some final adjustments, but that just takes seconds, and I think squad rhythm is important. I used to worry about the person helping me, that it would be taking away from their concentration, but after shooting for a decade, most people actually think it helps their game, by not having time to dwell on the last station

Bill

#35 ·
Rickyd- You stated "how nice it is not to have anything in front of you" (microphone). I regularly shoot at a club that uses the clip on microphones. It feels strange not to have something in front of me. Almost like I am standing on the edge of a drop off with nothing to keep me from falling. It is odd how we quickly get used to one thing and how strange it is when things are changed. I bet some wives even rearrange the furniture in their homes.

Pat Ireland

#38 ·
This is really an odd debate. Both sides have valid opinions. If you move the mic, you get the, 'Don't touch my mic!!' response. If you don't move the mic, it seems like the odds are you will be the start of a, 'Worthless younger shooters don't respect or honor their elders!' or a 'Inconsiderate old farts!' thread here depending on the ages of the people involved.

I generally go with the flow. If the shooter on my left is moving the mic for the next guy, I move his/her mic for them. If they aren't, I don't. If I am moving two mics and someone isn't moving any, I am pretty sure the sun will still come up tomorrow. Thank you Jesus that I am able to move the mics and can try be considerate of others.

Looking at the big picture, aren't we responsible for our own actions concerning handicap location? Isn't this a sport that is supposed to be fun? Heaven help the poor bugger who touches someone else's mic if they are a lefty shooting an auto!!! That would probably need to be covered in the rule book by a special tar-and-feathering penalty!!!!

Shoot the targets. Have fun. Laugh a little and enjoy life!

Bob McClure

#39 ·
Jerry B "I notice where they place their mic " Maybe this is why your still a "B" shooter. You are not some type of Hero/do-gooder by doing this and it is not "polite". Flat out it is MY responsibility to put the mic in the right spot.....NOT YOURS!!! By touching what is MY responsibility to do you can only %$&%^** it up........

GS

#41 ·
OVBILL: ye be a wheekchair paerson? Is that what you were refering to in your post. If you are, I am to! E-mail me from above. Would like to chat with about shooting from one. Been shooting for many years but had to get out because of sickness and wound up in a chair. E-mail and we can chat wit ya. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

#46 ·
Ya I did get a little tough on ol Jer there. But my goal remains the same. It is for the same reason you shoot in front of another shooter. Just because you were position 3 the last 3 events, and now position 4 does not make it right. When one is highly focused, it may be easier to mislead someone into a mistake. There ia a long list of things one can do to be a polite shooter. However I am not willing or wanting to cause another shooter problems. It is for that reason I do not move mics or want mine moved for me.

GS

#47 ·
Again, I'm amazed (disgusted really) by the attitudes of some here. This sort of thing comes up a few times a year along with "You MUST turn to the right when leaving post 5", "You can't close your gun until it's your turn", and "Release triggers are dangerous and should be BANNED!"

What a bunch of nonsense.

cls

#48 ·
Sir,

We manufacture the E R A D wireless system that uses what you are calling the clip on mics. The statement that "Clip on microphones do work well if they are clipped on properly. The location of the clip on microphone is critical. It does take more time to remove the microphones and put them on the next squad than is required to move wired microphones" is not true. Talk to the management of any club that uses our system for a shoot and you will find that they finish earlier when shooting the same program than with the mics on a stand (as much as an hour or MORE based on the number of shooters and the program). This is because you spend time moving the mic at every station whether you are shooting 16 yrd doubles or handicap, and especially when shooting handicap. Also, it does not take any longer to clip on a mic than to move the mic to your position on the first station and from then on there is no time spent moving mics. Additionally, the time spend waiting for "uncalled for birds" to clear the field is eliminated as is cross calls. There are a couple of ways to make our system even easier to use. One simple method is for everyone to have the clip, "clipped on" and you don't un-clip the mic, you simply peel it off from the Velcro clip and stick it to a velcro strip on the shooting stand. When you walk to the next field you pick up a mic, and paste it to your clip. It takes about 1 second to do. When you finish and walk to the shooting stand to check scores, you peel it off and stick it back on to the stand. The best way to use the system is for each person to own their own. Then you can taylor the mic to your call and you never have to remove the mic. When shooting competiton the SCORER logs onto the field with their own transmitter (that they control the field with) using your "Squads Assigned Key" and you are ready to shoot. It takes the scorer about 3 seconds to log on with your squads key number. You simply go up the line from field to field giving the scorer your key number and shooting as you go. The scorer can release birds for you, shut down the field so no one can call, etc. The shooting experience at the line is greatly improved with the E R A D system. You get the same release time (which is programmable) from call to call, station to station, AND from field to field. You won't get any cross calls, and rarely will you ever release an un-called for bird. If the shooters would carefully monitor their shooting pattern they would also note that their scores will improve by a bird, maybe as high as 3 or 4 if variations from mic to mic with the existing mics on a stand cause you problems, or you get a mic stand that just doesn't want to release a bird for you. Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

Greg Baack E R A D 817-244-1761

#50 ·
What a minefield! Since I have only been trapshooting for a couple of years I thought moving the mics on handicap events was the accepted protocol. Now it seems best to just speak to the shooter to the left to see how he/she wants the mics handled. I have learned a lot about trapshooter etiquette...mic movement, autoloader shell catchers, NEVER, EVER make a move, cough, sneeze or close your gun which will in any way catch the eye of or distract any shooter on the squad left or right of you, don't call too loud or too soft... Kinda hard for a 67 year old mortal to enjoy trapshooting. Don't remember all these issues in (dare I say) skeet? Best Regards, Ed

#51 ·
I've been on this site since 1999, believe me I've seen ALL of the nonsense over and over and over again.

And I'm compelled to say that anybody who gets uptight over a fellow shooter showing a little courtesy, by politely moving the mic for them is a curmudgeon plain and simply.

Oh yeah, that's just my opinion...

cls

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.