Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moving the butt pad down

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rollin Oswald 
#1 ·
Right now I believe I finally have the comb on my BT 100 where I want it..
the gun shoots where I'm looking.I do see a little rib, but that's ok.

My problem is my head is not as erect as I would like.I have to bring my
cheek to the comb,and really work to keep my head down.

My question is ...can I drop the butt pad down some(allowing a better
head position) without changing my POI? Will my gun continue to shoot
where I'm looking as it does now?

Thanks..

Mo Bill

#3 ·
Another option is to use an add-on rib. I had the same issue on my BT99. I bought a 3/8 add-on rib from Scott Hydeal. I raised my comb the same 3/8 so my POI didn't change much. It like lowering the river or raising the bridge, what ever works best for you.

Hawk,

#4 ·
Bill,

Changing one stock dimension or changing your gun mount, will affect other stock dimensions and therefore, how well your gun fits you.

Lowering the butt (increasing the drop at the heel dimension) will allow you to keep your head more upright. It will also affect how your cheek makes contact with the comb and will probably require an adjustment of the comb, most likely a vertical adjustment. A horizontal adjustment as well, is not out of the question, however.

The additional drop at the heel may also change the way the butt makes contact your shoulder. That is why it sometimes causes cheek slap. The usual solution is to add pitch to the stock although cheek slap can also be caused by the different way your cheek meets the comb. If that is the case, the cause and remedy are too complex to describe here because other aspects of your shooting form and other stock dimensions are involved.

Finally, creating more drop at the heel will affect the length of the stock you need. The more upright head position is very likely to require shortening it because with a more upright head position, your cheek will make contact with the comb farther back than it did when your neck was leaned forward.

You will need to be very lucky, visit a stock fitter or buy a copy of my book to get your stock to fit correctly. Adding drop at the heel is a change that has several secondary affects that relate to other stock dimensions and to aspects of your shooting form of which gun mount is but one.

Rollin

#5 ·
Reinhart Fajen said the top of the pad should be even with the top of the shoulder.

I believe that after that, comb/ rib adjustments for fit and POI come into play.

A short neck is an advantage. (I don't have one.) You can get used to anything, but making it easy is desirable. You should be able to bring the gun to your face, and then back it up with your shoulder. If you have to drop your head to the comb mre than just a little, something is not right.

HM

#8 ·
x-factor is correct insomuch that lowering the pad increases barrel-rise. It will not necessarily be felt in the cheek, however unless the pad is lowered too far or there are other anomalies involving shooting form or stock dimensions.

Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.