1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving Safe - how to get off pallet?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Unsingle, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

OK, I need some advice so I don't end up dead on this project.

I'm going to buy a new gun safe that weighs about 1400 lbs. I am going to take it from the front of my house to the back concrete patio on a forklift. I'm sure it will be on a pallet. I will roll it into my walkout basement on steel pipes, but how do I get the monster off of the pallet? Any suggestions about the move would be appreciated.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Call your local locksmith who deals in safes. I had him come out and move mine. 75.00 well spent.

3. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Choke it with hoisting straps and pick it up with the forklift, I would wrap it with something to keep the straps from scratching the safe.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

"walk it off" with 2 flat bars and some assorted wood shims and cribbing.

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Just ask yourself. How did it get on the pallet?? Easy on,easy off. There are a couple of good suggestions above. - Jim

6. Gabe

Gabe Member

I rented an appliance dolly with a strap. Moved a 600 pound safe down a flight of stairs. Got a couple friends to help. Didn't take long and wasn't a problem.

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I voted for the $75 option on mine. Glad I did. Jake

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

When I bought mine I paid 90 bucks more for delivery not bad for right at 100 miles . The guy that I bought it from loved to deer hunt so I told him to come early and bring his gun . He seen some nice bucks that day and came back the next year and shot one . Buy the way he did,t charge me the 90 bucks after all.

9. verypoor

verypoor Member

mine is around 1000 pounds,i asked my 2 brothers in law to help get it off the pallet.we walked it and got it leaning and my son pulled the skid out.

10. flylta

flylta TS Member

This is a Smart _ _ _ Comment but here goes...

The safe is fire proof, the wood pallet is not. Lighter fluid and a match, couple of smores and the safe is sitting on the ground.

Honestly though call a local locksmith that has safes mentioned in thier add, 1400lbs in Florida would be about $100 for them to move and set in place.

11. FredB

FredB Member

Its easier than it looks; its bolted to the pallet once loose from the pallet you need at least one additional person I did it with my brother in-law is ideal so there are 3 in total as stated in the above post some mussel to jockey it and get it to lean and someone pulls the pallet away. Actually this was the easiest part I had to take mine down through a bulkhead 6 steps at a 30 degree angle that was tough!

Take a step at a time and be safe!

12. coho

coho Member

i left mine on the pallet,it was in the laundry room anyway.it looks bad but when my basement flooded it didnt get wet.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

My Liberty safe has a threaded hole in the top, yours may also. The factory had to move it too. Screw in an eye bolt,hook on a chain and pick it up with the forklift.

14. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Hire a professional - It'll be the cheapest thing you ever did. Cost me $75 and I would've paid a lot more.

hubcap

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I find using a case of quality beer never fails to serve as bait to get plenty of eager helping hands.

16. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Ask a Thief, they are very good at moving safes

17. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Hire someone to do the whole project. As someone else said here it is money well spent. Please set back and think, "what will it cost me if I get hurt?" What will it cost me if I damage the safe and or the walls, cars or hurt someone else?" Pay someone else to take those chances. I know someone who had his safe fall on his foot while trying to move it. He now walks with a limp.

18. oz

oz Active Member

don't forget to take the door off. it just lifts off when open and takes 300 to 500# off the move. I'd leave the pallet on. it gives the safe some protection from the floor and you can trim it for looks if you have to. oz

19. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Leaving it on the pallet may not be a bad idea. My sump pump failed. Had about 1/2 inch of water in basement. I did not realize that the safe had holes drilled in the bottom to allow it to be bolted to the floor.

After a week of getting the basement dried out, I went to get a gun out....I had the nicest film of rust on all of my guns!!

The fire proofing is fire proof dry wall!!

I had to remove all of it and recarpet the inside.

It now sits on 1 inch blocks of wood!!

PS I had a local mover move it to the basement!!

20. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I've built a wood ramp, and slid them down. It's very top-heavy, and as you realize if it starts tipping, no one can hold it. So I've winched it down the ramp with a come-along/winch using a moving strap (near the bottom to discourage tipping,) while having another strap around the upper part (taped in place on the safe so it doesn't slip down the safe's surface,) that's attached to another come-along/winch that's anchored to a hard-point (eye-bolt in a wall, truck hitch, etc.) This second strap can then be loosened by someone else, as you winch the safe down the ramp. It's slippery on the painted bottom, & will slide easily. Once on the ground it's easy to lift a side with a crowbar, and slide 1/4" steel bars under it to roll it around on. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.