1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving my gun vault soon !

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PA101_guy, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Looks like we'll be closing on a new house soon so the vault must be moved. I have a Ft. Knox and the last time we moved it was a real beast of a job. Just wondering if anyone knows how to properly remove/re-install the door to make moving this thing a little easier and safer.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you all may have.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM....Dave

I've emailed Ft. Knox but so far no response......

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I would get a lot of mexicans....they are typically good workers.

Forrest

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Get ahold of your local Piano Mover and pay him to move it. You'd be surprised what kind of deal you can get if you shop around a bit.

ec90t

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

THE DOOR ON MOST GUN SAFES JUST LIFT OFF-OPEN DOOR 90 DEGREES AND LIFT.-RICK

5. 3200

3200 TS Member

Call 2 Men and a Truck.

6. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I have a friend who called a moving company. They came with straps they attached and picked it up and moved it by hand. It's a 48" wide safe that weighs about 800#. They used four men.

As I recall, it was alot cheaper then I expected.

7. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. That's what I thought Rick but it's hard to tell when the safe is packed and you can't get your head inside to really look at the hinges.... I just might hire somebody to move it this time.....not as young and strong as when I originally brought it into this house :)

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

8. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

GOLF BALLS. Use 1 or 2 dozen golf balls underneath & keep feeding them in front as they come out the back. This works great because you can turn corners or move sideways etc. Like being on ball bearings. The last 2 times I moved my 675 lb safe/vault, I did it myself with no help.

Good luck, Gene

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

When I moved some years ago, I left a nice safe for the new owner. Got a couple of new ones here. When I leave here, the new owner will get those safes. Come on now - price it out. If you had a 2 grand safe for ten years, that is 200 bucks per year. You can afford a new one and forget moving the old one.

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Read somewhere recently that some homeowners policies require gunsafes be moved by accredited moving company people. I guess if you end up in the basement with guns and safe on top of you, or your wife, that may or may not be a current concern. Most people I know who have had large ones just left them behind and had a new one installed at next place. Great peace of mind to have one though.

11. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Leave the safe and get a new one. You're not getting any younger and the safe sure ain't getting any lighter.

Thats my theory anyway.

hubcap

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't forget about the stairs if there any!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.