1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving muzzle of gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Today while I was shooting I noticed that I was moving the muzzle of the gun as soon as I called pull and didn't wait until I saw the target....haven't done that in the past. What causes that and how the heck do I stop it? I can't afford to start any bad habits, I have enough problems so as it is.... thanks.... Jill

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand how someone else loading (or not) my gun would eliminate moving the gun before seeing the target. It doesn't seem like the presence (or not) of a shell in the chamber has anything to do with it.

On the other hand, if you have someone hand pull your targets they can held you identify when you do it by not always releasing a target on your call. Both Leo and Phil Kiner use this technique in their classes to help show people they are moving the gun before the target is visible. I'm not sure how to stop it - I think if you know you are doing it then it's up to you to wait until you see the target.

Scott

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have made this mistake in several forms. At times I move my gun upward just as I call and at other times I get into the habit of moving my gun down as I am calling. On post one, I have prematurely moved my gun to the left and to the right on post five, anticipating the worst. Other times, I concentrate on seeing the target and my gun does not move.

Pat Ireland

4. DanAKAL

DanAKAL TS Member

If I understand you correctly you are doing what I call leaving early. Having someone manually pull for me straightened me out. At first I would just have them throw the target without me calling for it. Then I started calling and they would throw the target within ten seconds of when I called. It worked well to cure me from leaving early, and it didn't take very long for it to sink in either.

Dan

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Sometimes when you start to move your barrel, you are actually searching for better "eye focus", in other words you are looking for the target and having trouble "seeing", so you compensate by moving around. First, be sure to have your eyes checked. Then be sure you are focusing on the proper place to pick up the target as soon as possible. If you are still wiggling, cut back on the caffeine....

6. BIG B

BIG B Member

Jill;
    I have fought this since I started shooting. I agree with what Pat said. However, my best drill has been to shoot a wobble league every summer. You will learn to see the bird before you move the gun!!

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Jill,

Trapwife is on the money on this. It is vision related. I am diabetic and some days I just do not see the targets as well. My brain, or lack of, picks up on this and tries to compensate by moving the gun. I have to tell myself before each shot to wait and not move until I see the target. I can still shoot decent scores but it is work.

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Does Leo know Karla's giving away secrets. LOL, Thank you Karla, there's some food for thought there. If the shoe fit's, wear it, I guess. Bob

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

There is also a legacy of atavism in the human machine. By that, the tongue, hands/arms, and eyes all interrelate. Watch somebody, for example, "bearing down" in a concentrative manner. The tongue often shows being lightly bitten. The atavism is likely how we "worked" as a human machine looking for an animal to hit hard, kill, and eat.

I don't quite know of the fix re. muzzle movement, but negative practice might help...bring the problem under conscious awareness by practicing the mistake at home and then practice the correct way. I also think (and I often move the muzzle too soon) we more often move the muzzle early as we feel more and more aggressive while shooting. One thing another shooter told me is to take a "rest beat" like a drummer after the call for the bird, a subtle rest beat as in "Pull-(rest)-move...Gosh, if I could do that all the time, I think I could shoot better scores.

I also see an analogy here to that of a drag racer redlighting, i.e., leaving early. Wonder what Robert Hight's take on this would be? He is also quite a trapshooter besides an accomplished funny car driver for John Force Racing.

10. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I used to tug the muzzle down when calling for the bird. It was subconscious and never knew I did it until someone else pointed it out. I haven't thought about that for a while and don't know if I'm still doing it or not. No way to overcome it except deliberate effort and like Pat said, looking hard for the target above all else.

I'm trying to figure out what searching for better eye focus means. Interesting.

11. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Nothing wrong with a bit of prior gun movement, it gets your muscles working. Standing with a dead gun waiting for the target to appear, we often begin with an awkward move, when a little prior motion allows us to move more smoothly to the target.

I know, most big guns tell you not to move until you see the bird. But, I'm saying, watch them closely you'll see many of these good shooters moving the gun as they call for the target.

BB

12. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I know exactly what trapwife means by better eye focus. You can see a quarter lying on the sidewalk as you walk along, but you really have to look at it to see if it is heads or tails. I do my best to keep my gun on the traphouse until I get that good look. Sometimes it's instant other times it isn't.

13. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

FWIW, I find that lowering my hold point to a place below the edge of the trap house enables me to force myself to see the bird before I start moving the gun.
    Try it - you may like it. And if you don't, you've only lost a few shells. It works quite well for me.

Ted K.

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat Ireland - I think it is about concentration and remembering good habits. Every once in a while, I actually enjoy having no target appear when I call. If the gun moves and there is nothing in the air, I know I am doing it wrong - snaps me back into doing it right - see the target.

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Booger Blue, when you "warm up your muscles" by moving your barrel, where do you move to? No matter which direction you pick, if the bird goes the other way, you have made the shot that much more difficult. The time between locking on to the target and beginning to track it is a blink for most experienced shooters, that's why it probably seems like they move their barrel. About the only way to tell for sure is if there is a no target. Eye focus, by my defination, is when you concentrate on looking at the spot where you can first see the target. You don't want to be looking from your beads to the traphouse to the target. A "still eye" gives you a better look.

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Dog shock collar around the upper thigh. Give the trigger to your wife and tell her what to watch for. You get over it pretty quick.
    HTH

Charlie

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Britt Robinson will stand behind you at his clinics and poke you in the ribs if you move your gun before the target appears.....doesn't take many of them before you learn to calm down, go through your mental checklist and do it right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun movement prior to calling pull while trap shooting