1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving gun too soon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Alamo, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alamo

Alamo Member

I used to take my head out of my gun as soon as I pulled the trigger with predictable results. Someone suggested following (aiming at) a broken piece of the target, and follow it downward to break this habit and this exercise worked. Really helped me not to move my head off the stock too soon after firing.

My newest problem is that I seem to have really gotten bad about moving the gun as soon as I say pull. It doesn't matter that the target has not even come out of the house yet, I'm moving that gun. This doesn't just happen on one or two difficult stations but, all stations. Does someone have a suggestion on some type of exercise like the one used above to break this habit? Thanks.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes. It is called seeing the target.

Seriously, look for that whole target to appear, think about seeing the target, nothing else. Don't look at your bead, don't anticipate where the bird might go, just look for it...then react.

3. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

When I catch myself doing that I will often stretch out the word pull and add to it. Such as 'puull it' or 'puull one'. The slight added delay hepls me wait for the bird. Good luck.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Have someone give you slow pulls mixed in with regular pulls on a practice round. Bill Malcolm

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The gentleman who was sort of my trap "mentor" used to pull for me during practice. He would stand next to me and when I called "pull" and he did not press the button if my gun barrel so much as twitched ... he would smack me across the back of the legs with a stick!! About three or four sessions of that I guarantee you won't move the gun until you see the target.

We are so dependent on the voice releases now it's very easy to get in the habit of reacting to your call instead of the target. As stated above you can get someone to pull and occasionally not hit the button (or turn the on/off switch off if you are using voice releases. You also can have someone pull for you and you say "ready" and they can pull the target anytime within 5 seconds of your call. That helps. I have a stick and will be happy to pull for you if you like my old friends method too.

Hope this helps,

Bob Schultz

6. ink ball

ink ball Member

I guess I should feel fortunate that I've never had to deal with this issue, but I'm having trouble understanding how this problem would even arise. I can understand how this could happen in skeet, because you know where the target is going to go. Probably the same for trap doubles since you know the flight path there, as well. But for singles and handicap, you really have no idea what line the target flight will be, so why would one be even tempted to move the gun prior to seeing where the target is going? Not trying to be a jerk, just puzzled.
    I think Wolfram has given excellent advice. I believe it is as simple as that.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Bob is right! Just one note I have seen more of this problm since the introduction of voice releases.
    Joe

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Alamo When I had a problem with this there were no voice releases you had a human pull to your command. I would tell the puller at the local club to just give me time to get on the gun and as soon as it stops moving give me the target with out a call.

Several time in the first couple of weeks I ran fifty and once seventy five because I didn't have my voice to tell me when to move I had to see the target to make a move. In practice have someone push the button or call for you instead of you doing it. Then observe what you see and learn to duplicate it when you call.

I in practice would just watch for the target to go by the end of the gun before I made a move I trained myself to see it or not to move.

ink ball

"But for singles and handicap, you really have no idea what line the target flight will be, so why would one be even tempted to move the gun prior to seeing where the target is going?"

ink you mean you have never been on 5 or 1 and called for the target and moved the gun in the wrong direction? If you have it is because you moved the gun without seeing the target because if you had seen it you wouldn't have moved the gun in the wrong direction.

Joe I agree and it is harder to cure with out a human doing the pulling.

Bob Lawless

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

If I am only thinking about looking hard at the target when it comes out, I do not have this problem. When I am only casually looking for the target coming out of the house, I will sometimes move my gun when I call.

Pat Ireland

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Alamo,

I have perfected moving the gun too soon. If you lessons on doing this , see me , I am the Maven. I have found that if I try to shoot as soon as I mount the gun , I tend to move it. I have also found that if I make sure that my gun is perfectly still before calling for the target, I usually do not move the gun. This has been a big help for me. I also hold the gun fairly tight with both hands. May not help but works for me.

Charlie

11. ink ball

ink ball Member

Bob (Ivanhoe) wrote...

"ink you mean you have never been on 5 or 1 and called for the target and moved the gun in the wrong direction?"

No honestly...I never have. And it seems so far out of the realm of possibility that I can't understand how it would arise. What advantage could the conscious or subconcious mind perceive by doing so? If one anticipates the target, the possibiliy of moving the wrong direction/angle far outweighs any chance of being so fortunate as to move in the right direction/angle.
    For me, it is really as simple as Wolfram stated it. Clear your mind, focus in front of the traphouse, call for the target, move to the target and shoot.

Now...that doesn't mean that I don't miss my fair share of targets...I certainly do, just not for that reason :)

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ink ball well if you watch some newbies shoot usually from 1 or 5 depending on which hand you shoot some have a tendency to have trouble catching the hard angles.

So they start anticipating the angle to get the jump on the target so they can catch it and they get a straight away. They have already made a move so they must change direction therefore they change direction in mid-swing.

I thought everyone had done that at least once in their trap shooting career. Then again not everyone is in total control of anticipation.

Bob Lawless

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No trick to it really, just tell yourself "don't move the gun 'til you see the target". There's no hurry, it can't outrun your BB's....

14. ink ball

ink ball Member

That makes sense, Bob. I probably never ran into that situation because I had shot skeet for so many years before I took up trap. Leaving early in skeet will really mess you up, so I guess I developed the discipline for waiting to see the target and just automatically applied that mentality to trap, too. I've been shooting a lot more trap than skeet in recent years. I don't look that good in a dress anymore :)

15. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Alamo,

A very good way to cure yourself of moving the gun too soon is to shoot a few rounds of 'wobble' trap every week. You will soon learn to keep that gun still until you see the clay! Good luck!

LA in MA

16. shootsome

shootsome Member

Alamo, I have the same problem with moving the gun on my call. I learned something in Harlan's DVD. Harlan says: "See the target whole and clear". So the last thing that goes through my mind before I call pull is "clear and whole". It works for me. I wait until I see a clear and whole target and then make my move. Got plenty of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hold gun still before seeing target in trapshooting