1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving Comb moves pattern?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I'm sorry for asking as I know this has been covered here before. I did a search but I didn't find what I was looking for. I know moving my comb up moves the pattern up but...

If I move my comb closer to my face what does it do to my pattern? Moves it left or right?

Thanks Jim

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Depends on which side of the gun your face is on.

Generally:

If you move the comb UP, you move the POI UP.

If you move the comb RIGHT, you move the POI RIGHT.

If you move the comb LEFT, you move the POI LEFT.

3. himejim

himejim Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was a right handed shooter....

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What I wrote above is true, regardless of which side of the gun you stand on.

It helps to remember if you think about this concept in extreme terms, that is, exaggerate how far you move the comb, to say, an unrealistic 12 inches.

If your comb was 12 inches to the left of the centerline of the barrel, and you put your face on the comb and lined your dominant eye up with the bead, your gun would shoot WAAAY left, wouldn't it?

Realistically, of course you would never move your comb that dramatically.

But if I ever forget (ummm....lemme think, do I move the comb right or left?), I think in these terms and it reminds me of what will happen if I move the comb just a little.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and moving the comb horizontally either direction will effect your ability to "look down the rib." If you are looking straight down it now, as in my opinion you should be, shifting the comb will put an end to that. So before you you do anything, you have to find out where it's _really_ shooting when you look straight down the gun and weigh any POI shift against losing that very nice view.

Of course, if you are looking crooked across the rib now, you might find that's why it's shooting crooked, in which case, you have lucked out.

The only way to find out where it's shooting now is off a bench rest, and the best distance is one where you can see for sure where the shot is going. I like 13 yards, some like 16, zzt prefers 20 and they are all fine as far as I know.

Neil

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

just to clarify my position on shooting yardage for POI. When you are shooting from a bench to see where your gun shoots, somewhere in the range of 13 to 16 yards is best, using whatever shell your gun shoots the tightest patterns with. When you are shooting to see where you shoot your gun, I prefer (edited later) 1/2 the distance you care about. If your want your actual POI at 40 yards, shot for POI at 20 yards (because it minimizes errors) and double the result for your 40 yard POI. If you are after singles distances of 34 yards, shoot for POI at 17 yards, the double to find POI at 34.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

As the comb goes, so goes the shot.

Same with the rear sight of a rifle or pistol.

With a shotgun, though, the left/right positioning of the comb is intended to put your eye where it needs to be when your face is firmly but comfortably against the comb. It should be natural and easily repeatable. In the old days, wing shooters would practice at home by repeatedly shouldering the shotgun with their eyes closed. The idea was that when you open your eyes you should be looking straight down the barrel (seeing the "figure 8" in the case of a trap gun). These are the basics of the "it should shoot where you look" notion.

-Gary

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And then there's "Cast On" and "Cast Off".....Not to be confused with "Castaway"

[​IMG]

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, let's not even go there!

-Gary

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

at 30yds-every 1/8" change will move the poi(pattern center) by 4"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.