1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? moving center bead forward

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tolman, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tolman

Tolman Member

question ???
    if you move the center bead forward on a K80 trap special in order to shoot a higher P.O.I, higher than gun's beads' relationship will allow, will that be the same as a trap special Pro Rib figure 8 beads' relationship??

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tolman, moving the center bead does nothing to change impact, poi will only change if you move the comb or in your case purchase a pro rib which is higher in the front [by the receiver] sloping more down to the front which will change your impact from approx. now by adding approx. a 1/8 to 3/16 in washers to each post,your impact goes 100% to 120% at peak percentages, in reality, most T.S. will shoot 95% pro ribbed models approx. 100-110%. a litle experiment, make a little ball out of paper, move it front or back as much as you llke, while your gun is still mounted but as you can see it will not change P.O.I., just your eye seeing or not seeing a figure 8. hope this helps, incinerate em!

3. Tolman

Tolman Member

BigBen, in order to understand I have to explain it like this. If I buy a Trap Special and need to shoot 110% and use the appropriate stock spacers to achieve that P.O.I.. Therefore, my beads will not be staked or a figure 8. Thus I was wondering if I move the center bead forward will that replicate the Pro rib sight picture of the beads' figure 8 relation ship. The reason for this is there seems to be more used trap specials for sale than the pro ribs.Is what I'm trying to explain doable or should I be patient and wait for a used pro rib to become available. Spring is slow to get here. At 30 yards my Mx10 RS is 9" above the X to the bottom of the pattern and 18" to the center of the pattern. So I think that I need a 100% or higher gun.

Please help

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Forget figure 8/stacked/overlapped. There is no rule that the beads have to be in any specific position. The position of the beads one to another do NOTHING to help you kill targets. Both my beads are painted flat black, same as the rib. I don't have to see them when I mount the gun. Adjust the comb to give you the POI you want. After that, trust the consistency of your gun mount and fit of your gun to give that POI to you every time.

Keller

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tolman, this can be achieved with your present rib, however you will have to put at least another 3/8 to 7/16 inch of spacers in your existing comb, you will probably run out of post height, but a simple fix is get longer posts, then put your trap special on paper adding spacers until the same heights as your P gun RS, then just make tiny paper balls or better yet a 7 12 pellet, put a small amount of grease on it, then move the middle bead until you are comfy, then affix with a small amount of adhesive. Now the other variable since you are adding a lot of spacers under your comb, that will change the drop at the heel on your stock, to many this is of no problem, for others it may be. incinerate em!

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Don't move the bead. If you want the gun shooting higher, space the beads by raising the comb. You will eventually burn that new image into your mind,and all will be well. Punching more holes in the rib will detract from its look and value.

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

When raising the comb to achieve a higher poi you will create a gap between the center and front bead. If this gap bothers you, make what's known as a bump
    which is nothing more than a small piece of material to raise the center bead to close the gap and restack the beads. Perazzi used this system on their MX9, its an inexpensive way to raise the poi on your gun while keeping the beads stacked.

I can post a picture if you like.

Sufer

8. Tolman

Tolman Member

dead-on..... i like it. simple fix. if you could please email picture, so i can replicate the material being used.

thank you much!

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tolman, I found this glob to be very distracting, try it it, I hope it works for you, should it not you have alternatives now, incinerate em!

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

deadon4_2009_040814.jpg

Perazzi used a dovetail notch to change bump heights by sliding them in and out of their rib. You can do this with a small piece of plastic or metal. You can put it over your existing bead tape or glue it. This system was invented by Jerrie White in Fort Collins, its cheap easy to change heights and works very well.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.