1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving a safe??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Help! I am moving soon.... Any ideas on how to move an 800 lb gun safe??? I have got two quotes, $975 and $672! both seem a little steep.(one hour drive, but across state line) The new house will only include going over the front door threshold, no steps internally. 4 steps to get it out of the existing house. They used a "stair climber dolly" to get it here. Any do it yourselfers out there??

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That quote is absurd. I moved my own with two helpers with a stair climber dolly and it is 1150 lbs

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'm guessing that you dont have a truck? If you do truck it yourself. Get a dolly and a couple friends, and save yourself some money.

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

Frank,

You may be able to rent the "stair climber" locally. Or maybe closer to Boston.

Is one of the places that quoted you located on Rt. 119 East? Just B4 the south bound entrance to 495. Can't recall the exit number, sorry.

Your safe will be easier to move if you remove the door first. Be aware the door could be as much as 40% of the total weight.

Good luck.

Doug

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Beer.

Lots of beer.

And Pizza

Call some friends - take off the door, move it in two pieces. I did three this way. Great way to waste a Saturday afternoon and spend some time with good friends.

Good luck

6. philk

philk Member

Expensive maybe but it will seem awfull cheap when you are laying underneth it at the bottom of the stairs. JMHO

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

I have always used my ATV trailer, it is easier to load since it is lower to the ground. Just tilt it down and slide it in. Since I'm in the cabinet business I used a piece of Formica and a spray called Liquid Roller to shift it close to the wall, I also use a pallet jack.

Andy

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Andy Griffith from Mayberry said it best: CALL THE MAN.. a hurt back or worse ???!!!???

with that said it does seem a little high, the safe company did not charge me that much and said if I moved they would move it for the same price (to me that was SERVICE, and yes when I need another safe he get's my money)….GRUBBY

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I moved one that is a 60 Browning gun safe with the help of one friend that was 70 years old. I did not take the door off. A few tips: If you are moving across carpet, put it on cardboard and slide it. This works very well. When moving across concrete (in my basement) roll the safe on short pieces of pipe. The Egyptians perfected this with really big rocks! Going up stairs use landscape timbers and three or four short pieces of pipe and lay the safe on it's back. Just don't let it get away from you. When you get the safe on the trailer, lay it on it's back and then there is no tip over danger. Again use the landscape timbers and short pipe to roll the safe up on the trailer from the ground. There is a form of referigator dolly that will hold the safe secure and then it has wheels that swing out 90 degrees and support the weight on four wheels and you can move it easily with one person. I did not use one but I have seen them used and they are the cat's meow. You can probably rent one for very little and Lowes amy even let you borrow one.

Just look at the situation at hand and plan what your obsticales are. You will find it less trouble than you think and keep your hard earned $600 bucks!!

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A frig dolly will also do what you need. Get 3 to 4 people to help. It never hurts to have to many people for all safety reasons. You do not want someone to hurt their hands because there wasn't enough people there. What the moving co's wanted was way out of line. Feed them luch and give them a 6 pack or a case of beer.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My safe weighs 1000 pounds. The door is 400 pounds so I remove it for the move. I rent a heavy duty dolly which is a hand truck used to move refrigerators and freezers. On my last move I laid the box on its back on a four wheeled dolly that I made and winched it up the ramp into my cargo trailer. I used the same dolly to move my lathe and mill.

Jim Skeel

12. RAScott

RAScott Member

Frank C the money that you are saving moving to tax free NH (lucky Bastard)you pay the mover and sit there and watch him while drinking the beer and eating pizza.Good luck tonight buddy.
    LOL
    Cactus Bob

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Philk that cracked me up. How true.

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Cactus Bob?? Wow, I'm impressed. You into the cowboy game now Bob? Frank, use your head and let them do it or get another quote. Have them move other stuff with it. A truck, 3 or 4 lumpers, WC, and the rest--$600 doesn't go far in business any more. Good luck, Bob

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The dealer from whom I bought my current safe hauled it 72 miles to my house, took the old safe out to my garage, brought the new 1,250-pound one in the house and put it where I wanted it for $200. They put sheets of plywood on the carpeted floors and moved it with an appliance dolly. They had to take two doors off their hinges but there only was one step to navigate.

Ed

16. RAScott

RAScott Member

The local tru value, o'connor harware rents a stair climber dolly for $30.00 per day.it will lift 500 lbs. cheaper than a stay in the hospital. Love to help but i just had my hernia repaired.

Bob S

17. twotimer

twotimer Member

Frank, you'll have to leave the door on for this to work...fill it with humming birds! Mike

18. berta686

berta686 TS Member

GOLF BALLS my safe weighs about1200 lbs 8 to 10 golf balls when you move the safe one person walks behind the safe and puts the golf balls in front. You can move the safe just about anywhere you want on a hard flat surface. You still need a handtruck for stairs. We moved our safe with them!!!

Neil McClain

19. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

for the life of me, I cannot see how the door comes off?? Appears to be welded to the hinges??? will look with a mirror tomorrow

20. philk

philk Member

A thermic lance will take it off in seconds. Sometimes wonder why even bother with a safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to move safe with golf balls