1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

moving a gun safe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmOU, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

what is the best way to move a gun safe into your house? I'll be moving a large 800 pound safe. Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks!

2. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

If it is a hard floor you can use sections of 1 inch black pipe as rollers and use 3 or 4 under it and as they come out from one end, you can put it under the other end. Just be sure to keep four or so sections under the safe at all times. Also, if you take the door off, you can cut the weight in half and then four guys can manage moving it on an appliance dolly. It is still tough, but it is do able. Then you can carry the door in and set it on the hinges. Just be careful, because that much weight can get away from you very quickly. I have one that is about the same weight as yours and had to move it twice. The first time I got my wrist twisted pretty good. Don't put yourself between the safe and the floor if you a tilting it back...stay off to the side. If it get's loose your body isn't going to even slow it down.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The first time I had to move my safe, I did it myself with the help of a friend, second time I hired it done. Best money I ever spent. Take Jim Miler's advice, hire it done by an outfit that is insured.

4. gr8shot

gr8shot Member

a handfull of golf balls under the safe acts like a set of bearings. you can push it anywhere you want.

steve.

5. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

appliance dealers have what they call" skids"12 inch wide runners made of a very slippery plastic. i borrowed a set from a friend and the wife and i slid mine, a 40 gun safe, across the floor effortsly. just a thought.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You can buy those skids at Home Depot or any similar store. Very inexpensive and great when your wife decides to rearrange the furniture!

Another way is to put a harness on Tron's Kitty and have her drag it to the new location....WARNING!...use only a small whip!

7. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Refrigerator appliance dolly. Upright two wheeler with staps. Not to bad! Just did mine last week. 750 pounds. (effortless once you get it tipped up)

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Lay it down flat on it's back and open the safe door.

Next flood you house with about two foot of water then sit in it and use a canoe paddle to navigate it around.

April fools day!

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

shannon391, you owe me a new keyboard!!!!!!!!!!! Spilled my drink all over it. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Do not slide, roll, or drag it over carpeting. Trust me on this one.

Get 1/2 inch plywood sheets and lay them down first.

11. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Call your local safe mover/ dealer. They do it all the time and have the equipment. Money well spent.

My bought a piano at a garage sale (I wasn't there) and six of us young strong guys had a hello of a time moving it up a set of stairs. When we moved, the moving company had two old skinny Mexican guys move it down the stairs, on to the truck and up two flights of stairs at our new house. They had the right equipment and knew what they were doing. Makes a BIG difference.

Mike

12. creteham

creteham Member

Call your nearest High School trap team. The Seniors will make the Juniors do all the work, and when it's done, tell them they did it faster and better when THEY were Junior shooters!

April Fool ;)

Terry

13. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I paid to have my safe moved and I removed the door to reduce about 125lbs, never did get it back 100% like the factory.

14. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I have a friend that sells safes and he has a dolly type thingy that will climb stairs if you have stairs , ask a safe salesman if you can rent one of those from him.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ahab,

It's probably a real safe for non-Model 12's!!

Therefore, it is likely a really heavy safe. Nobody wants Model 12's anymore; therefore it is likely too heavy to be moved by Tron's cat!!!

See you Sunday; I'll be running and dodging flying paint brushes and bobbing and weaving and, hopefully, laughing.

April Fool!!

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Beer.<br>
    <br>
    Looks like a couple of cases should get the job done.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had to move my safe from one home to a new home. Hardest part was getting into and out of the trailer. So, I welded a eye-bolt to the top and used a engine cherry picker to lift it in, and out of the trailer.

18. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

fork lift!

tony

19. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Have moved many gun safes and safes in car dealerships. Couple hundred with moving company is money well spent. If you do it yourself, applicance dolly will work but make sure you got couple guys helping you. Don't go over carpet. Use wood on top of carpet. Make sure you do not have any holly spots under your tile if it is over tile. We all ways put wood over tile also.

Good luck

20. Chris

Chris TS Member

Once I got it unloaded out of a truck onto my porch and got it into the living room I took two pieces of rubber and laid them under the safe. To this I had attached a rope to the two pieces of flexible rubber. I then pulled the safe and had one person steady it and help push and we slid it into my gun room.....A piece of cake, once I got it into the house. I slid this on the carpet. No problem whatsoever!

GOOD LUCK! My safe was about 800 pounds!

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to move 800lb gun safe

how to move 800lb gun safe with appliance dolly

how to move a 750 pound gun safe

how to move gun safe

moving 800 pound gun safe

moving gun safe tutorial