1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mouse poison

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Setterman, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Will mouse poison draw additional mice to a location that presently has few mice? Wive's tale?

Big debate on this last night.

2. wanderer

wanderer Member

Question of similar interest. After reading the posts re: getting rid of racoons, have tried soaking bird seed in anti freeze and putting in mouse holes. Won't touch it when wet, but when dry it disappears. Haven't found any dead mice yet. Does the home made mouse poison work? G.E.G.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I use the Black Cat bait boxes. I put them outside all around my house and shop. I have about a dozen of them. The first year the baits (green bait bars about 3/4 x 3/4 x 1-1/4) dissappeared quickly. Now they last much longer. I have never found a dead mouse. I do not have any mice in the buildings (they used to chew through the seals on my overhead doors).

My goal is to reduce the mouse population in a radius around my buildings. It seems to be working.

Jim Skeel

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have a black and white cat named Gizmo who takes care of the problem. HMB

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our daughter is an animal lover and she caught the first mouse in her house in a live trap and drove a considerable distance to release the mouse to the wilds. The 6th and last mouse in her home died the old fashioned way in a spring loaded trap with peanut butter for bait.

6. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Usually light 1 oz loads are sufficient for mice.............

You can use "Polident" denture tablets or even "Alkaseltzer" tablets.
    Its safe, very cheap and you'll find the little dead bloated bastards just love the stuff.

7. GRR

GRR TS Member

Use the regular spring trap and super glue a peanut or almond on the pan, catch and reuse many many times.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Every year I catch from 15-20 mice in snap traps set around our trailer at the club . I use a havehart inside and bait all with peanut butter . This year I got over 20 so far but this week I caught 2 wrens ?? I will not use the snap traps outside again . I was heart broken to see those pretty things dead . I now have set the havehart outside and snap traps inside and luckly the wrens won`t find a way in . Years ago we had mole problems , set the mole traps and used killer bait and still they tore the ground up . I bought some cheap CVS EXlax and stuffed some treats down the holes and within 2 weeks they were gone . I wonder if it works with mice ??

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Some of the baits will drive the mice outside to die. They get an incredible thirst and usually go out to get water. I just worry about anything that might eat the poisoned mouse. A cat or dog or other domestic animal could be a secondary victim. I've seen dead vultures supposedly, because they fed on poisoned rodents.

10. TC

TC TS Member

Using labled "mouse poison" should not harm any animal that might eat the dead mouse. There would only be a very small amount of poison in the body. The dead vultures may have consumed a coyote or prarie dog which was killed with much stronger commercial poisons.

11. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Not a poison but.... I am told storage unit facilities use peppermint extract mixed 50/50 with water. Use a sprayer and spray the perimeter of where you dont want mice? They will not come near it. Supposed to work like a charm!

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

Be a sport about it. Wait till night and headlight them and shoot them with a pellet gun. No license required(except possibly California), while honing ones shooting skills.

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

My gun club used to get a mouse infestation every fall. There was always a bunch of them and they were daring little b*st*rds. It wasn't uncommon to see several scuttling about the place over the course of an evening.

Then one year, no mice. We weren't doing anything to keep them out. We just didn't see them or any evidence of them.

The next spring we sent a member up into the attic to run a new speaker wire. He came down with three each black snake skin sheds. None of the sheds were complete but the longest partial was 39 inches.

We haven't seen a mouse for a couple of years. Nobody's seen a snake either but nobody is looking very hard to find it : ).

sissy

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Where do I order the blacksnakes?

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Snakes will eat mice, but snakes go on vacation every Winter and do not come back to work until it warms up in the Spring.

Pat Ireland

16. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Setterman:

I'm not really sure. You might try "Snakes R Us". We didn't order this one. It invited itself.

Pat:

The club has hot water heat. The boiler room is always warm. The attic is relatively so. It just a theory but we think our mouse controller spends winters in the building instead of chillin' outside.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dead bloated mouse