1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mountain Lions in Indiana

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This was emailed to me a couple of days ago and I thought that I'd pass it along. I guess I need to be armed the next time I go to Indiana. (address is too long for a direct link)

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100516/SPORTS/5160347/1004/SPORTS/No-doubt-about-it-There-are-mountain-lions-in-state

ss

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Well.....never heard of any in NE Indiana. The above link is shorter. Wayne

SS, or anybody else thats needs to shorten links. Easy to use, paste your link, click shorten, click copy.

http://bit.ly/

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Must be southern In

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

According to the article, the two confirmed sightings are in west central, and south western part of the state. I'm sure that they are in other areas, they just haven't been spotted by a IDNR camera.

wayneo,

Thanks for the education. I learned something new today.

ss

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

The DNR in South Carolina continues to deny that mountain lion are in our state. As has been documented in the news, we have idiots running our state.

EE

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I grew up in that County. South central In. The cat is in a hilly, wooded area . Somewhat remote. I remember reports of big cats 40 yrs. ago around other parts the county. Also reports of cats the last couple of years in surrounding counties. They're around. No Bigfoot though.

7. maka

maka Member

Wisconsin DNR also denyed there were any in our state. Number of people reported sitings. Some took photos of tracks in snow. Still no go. This was one to three years in making. Today our local radio stated that head warden is checking with Colorado about info pertaining to.

8. Mapper

Mapper Member

Critters are moving around. Cats and bears moving south in Michigan. Wolves and moose in the UP. The first wolverine in 100 years recently moved south into Colorado. I don't know just what to make of it. Maybe the animals are ticked at the way we are running things.

9. max nimrick

max nimrick TS Member

well i live in iowa ive never seen them but at my schools ffa farm ive seen tracks

10. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

This has caught my intrest also.I live in Connecticut and have heard and read about sightings of big cats.I have talked to a couple of our State foresters and they said they have seen tracks in the snow.Our state wildlife officials claim there are none in our state???.

Sandy Holehouse

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Someones pet got loose? Seldom will the owner admit it.

12. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I would expect a black panther in MO, but now we have one in the White House!!!!

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Wayneo, I know there are Bobcats in NE Indiana. I have a lakehouse near Angola. We were heading there after a wedding in Ohio. About 1:30am, one ran out in front of us on a county road.

Of course, I've also seen cougars in the lake bars.

14. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

They(DNR)say there aren't any cats in the great state of W.Va.I for one can say thats B.S..I've seen three big cats in the last 20 years,and tracked(2 AM) one of them for over 3/4 of a mile in about 8'' of fresh snow.As I progressed deeper into the pine thicket with a dieing flashlight and trusty single six in hand, I realized that the cat was circling me................. and at that point I also deceided to get the hell out there with now dead flashlight,and my skinny ass still in one piece.
    D.P.Reynolds

15. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

I live in the next county south in IN. The newspaper reported that they actually trapped the cat, and there was a picture in the paper. My wife and I both worked at the Naval Ammunition Depot at Crane, IN. She worked about in the middle of the base at a range where they tested flares. Her drive from check-in to range was about 6 miles. She and her co-workers often reported seeing big cats on the base as far back as the 80's. There is a considerable herd of white tail on Crane, not as many now as in the 60s, 70s and 80 which are managed by Purdue University. My neighbors brother-in-law is a retired game warden who spent most of his career at Glendale lake. He reported seeing big cats, and several bob cats in our area. My neighbor has watched bob cats playing around his farm machinery by his equipment shed. I have heard some weird squeels in the woods near my house. Enough the run the wife and grand kid inside and the dog too. Brave dog.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Herb, good story. Crane wouldn't be very far from where the cat was photographed. There's no telling what is running around at Crane. The deer are plentiful.

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Wasn't all that long ago that a cougar was shot and killed in an alley in a Chicago neighborhood

18. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Just had a case in Wisconsin were a cougar attacked a heifer. A bow hunter heard the noise and scared the cougar away. Still, the heifer had to be put down. She was tore up pretty back. Until recently Wisconsin DNR claimed there were no cougars in WI. Now they are going try and track this cat down so it can be killed because attacked a farmer's animal. Hope they don't catch it. It seems between the wolves and cougars WI deer herd is in deep s**t. Less deer very year.

19. jpinto101

jpinto101 TS Member

saw one in PA. Called the state to report it and was told it was not a mountain lion. Saw it in a pair of field glasses and know what I saw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.