1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mountain Lion Pic in Casper, WY

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by whiz white, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I received the following via email from a close friend and shooting buddy in Littleton, CO. It came from his friends in Casper...

"A few weeks ago our friends in Casper, WY mentioned that they had seen lion tracks in the snow on their deck behind the house. They live on Casper Mountain just south of, and overlooking Casper. Then a few days ago they mentioned that one of their neighbors across the road had seen a lion in the driveway in front of their house. About an hour ago they sent the pictures below. The last picture is behind their house where I think they first saw the tracks. This is one pretty good sized cat. His apparent lack of fear or respect for people makes for an uncomfortable feeling when you go outside in the middle of the day. He appears to be in good condition."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friendly little critter. I guess since no one wants to play, I'm leaving.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BANG!

I certainly would not be taking photos of it. Alive.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I was sent this in an email earlier this winter

"This gives new meaning to the phrase "Honey would you go outside and warm up the car for me? These were taken in Conifer. Conifer is just 10 miles west of Denver out 285."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would seem the gang is all here.

Bob Lawless

4. whiz white

The mountain lion season just ended here in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

The GF&P limited it to 40 dead lions or 25 females, I believe it was.

I put up a deer camera trying to get photos (to no avail) of the one that has been in my back property at the edge of the Black Hills National Forest on the west end of the city.

WW

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for posting. Tron needs to get one of these full size house cats to keep kitty company. (Actually, a cougar is more closely related to the housecat than is any big cat that roars including a lion, leopard, etc. Housecats and cougars are part of the cat family that does not roar. "You cold look it up"...)

6. ntxshooter

ntxshooter TS Member

I'm thinking that seeing cats like this is directly related to global warming which causes too much cold and snow.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I believe there is an exception to the laws when it comes to imminent (?) danger, which these cases would surely fall under ... Think 30-30, 30-06, .308 or anything else you might have setting around, then eliminate ... He or she who hesitates might be lunch or dinner depending on the time of day or night ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

As I've never had the ability to view a cougar in the wild first hand, I'd be mesmerized for a while watching them. This is after I changed my shorts of course. I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing one of them looking in at me.

That's for the really cool pic's Whiz!

ss

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Pretty nice looking animals but not when they decide to move in. I don't suppose that one in Wyo will last too long.

10. whiz white

I was kinda thinking about the person behind the camera... a bit erie.

To me it sure looks like cougar cat is looking DIRECTLY at the photographer.

My other half walks constantly. She take Pepper spary. I tell her, if you are hit by one of these: FIRST, you'll never know it as they come from behind and go for the neck, SECONDLY, just forget the spray, and just smile.

Now, maybe I should take out a bigger insurance policy on her - ha!

Whiz

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The areas the I like to Chukar hunt usually have cats in them. You hardly ever see a lion but it is fairly common to find where a cat has killed a deer and drug it up a steep hill where it can dine in safety. The thing that always impresses me when I find those drags is just how fast and powerful those cats must be. I don't think a human could expect to win a fight if the cat got the first strike in. (even if armed)

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Looks to me like they just want to be petted.

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Here Kitty, Kitty. Nice Kitty. BANG.

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

It always amazes me that some people's first reaction to seeing a wild animal is to believe that it doesn't belong there and it needs to be shot!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an animal rights activist or PETA-nut job; I firmly believe in conservation and controlled hunting for dangerous game. But killing animals just because they scare you or are where you don't think they should be, well, that's a California tranplant attitude.

15. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

We have horses and 2 mules. Had the 2 mules and newly cut (ex-stud)gelding in the canyon. Went out to do chores last fall and found our girl mule in the yard, all worked into a frenzy. Couldn't figure out how she got out and came home. Saddled up a horse with fencing tools, and went to see where she got out. Found the other mule with a cut on his shoulder & the mustang (ex-stud)still in the pasture. Road the fences, and when i got down into the bottom of the canyon, found some very large prints. Had the dogs with me and they were not theres, i can tell you. We have lots of lions in the area, never seen them, but neighbors have, and drag marks of them taking calves away. We only can speculate, but she jumped the barbed wire to come home for some reason! She has never done that before. I always am packing when i go fencing or riding, and have the dogs. They are usually carefully planned surprise attacks, so not sure how good my .45 would be.

My grandparents had a cabin near Laramie Peak, they said they never saw one, but heard one scream. It is a sound that almost made them have to change pants. A sound that they will never forget. Had some photos like this last year, only in south central SD of the same thing, a cat on the deck, looking right at the photographer. this family had small children. i would like to think i would have been shooting, not photographing.

Thanks for all the great photos!!

16. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I don't believe in the indiscriminate killing of any of God's creatures, but if they want to make a meal of me or mine, whether mountain lion or mosquito, they're toast!

While these lions may be a bit bold, perhaps some negative reinforcement might be called for, say, a 12-gauge blank followed by 00-buck if they don't get the message (like they do in prison movies!)

LA in MA

17. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

We se them fairly often here in the mountains of Western Oregon. They are really magnificent to watch. I would consider a one time lion visit a fluke and a kodak moment, but a second visit would be warmly greeted with a hollow point!

18. EE

EE Banned User Banned

If I saw one on my back deck like that, I would be spending the rest of the day replacing the glass door with the bullet hole in it.

EE

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Had a full grown black bear male that hung around our porches for 5 weeks. Kind of interesting when I got ready to open the door & he was standing there 3 feet away waiting for me. Also when he somtimes saw you looking at him thru the door & he stood up & slammed against it. Yup,had my good ole IPSC 45 with FBI loads,cocked & unlocked in my hand or a foot away when he was around.
    1000's of rounds thru that gun made me fairly comfortable with it. And I made sure he did not meet me in the open.

20. cafowler

cafowler Member

Subject: Mountain Lion Pic in Casper, WY
    Email:
    Date: Tue, Feb 16, 2010 - 04:17 PM ET
    Website Address:

It always amazes me that some people's first reaction to seeing a wild animal is to believe that it doesn't belong there and it needs to be shot!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an animal rights activist or PETA-nut job; I firmly believe in conservation and controlled hunting for dangerous game. But killing animals just because they scare you or are where you don't think they should be, well, that's a California tranplant attitude.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, where do I start. You DO sound like a PETA nut-job! Lions kill people, often, they are indescrimate killers. People don't like wild animals that kill, stocking their human or animal prey.

State trappers just killed one a few miles from where I shoot at Comanche Hills, Lion killed app 20 goats for fun. On average, a mountain lion is killed in California every two-and-a-half days, despite their protected status, via depredation permits being issued by F&G to state lisc'd Trappers.

Most in CA also believe in conservation and controlled hunting, unfortunately a small minority got a public vote re the State's Dept of Fish & Games ability to manage the Lion population, based on sound accepted wildlife management practices. The groups actions led to the passage of the law, and it was the 1st time a State F&G Dept was legally precluded from managing a wildlife species. Since then, the lion population has exploded, and there is nothing you and I can do about it, legally. A lion was recently photo'd by a home security camera in Burlingame, about 5 blocks from the San Francisco Airport, clearly walking thru the yards in a nice neighborhood about 5AM on garbage day.

Contrary to you statement, the CA Attitude, albeit a minority, is to enact legislation to protect the cute little defenseless animals, regardless of what the State's own Dept of F&G recommends. Unfortunately, I believe it will take a child's death for this law to be overturned, again by a vote. Unfortunate, but there have been plenty of adult deaths or attacks, and no public outrage at the law.

About 5 years ago, in San Jose a child came home from school in the afternoon. The side door to their garage had been left open. The kid went into the garage to get something, and there was a lion perched on top of the freezer, kid was face to face with a lion in his garage. Somehow the side door was shut, and kid calls cops to report a Lion in his garage. F&G warden drilled about a 3" hole in the big garage door and shot the lion, too unafraid of humans to be released. Since then there have been dozen of sightings in the hills of the peninsula, right up to a few blocks from SFO recently.

So, in CA we don't shoot animals because they scare us or shouldn't be in kids garage's when they get home from school, we pass laws making it illegal to responsibly manage the resource. What a pitty. You can read more about these nut jobs at their website above.

Don't fear, these same environmental wacko's are coming to your state, they're just a step behind the PETA nut-jobs. Animal Rights over Human's Rights. SSS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.