1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorhomes and Walmart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

The wife and I are trading in our truck and 5th wheel for a motorhome and hope to hit the road soon for a "shakedown" cruise. Anyone know if there's truth to the stories of people using Walmart parking lots as a layover or one or two night stay. Almost positive I heard Al Roker say he and his wife do that now and then.

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I know it's allowed at several of the Walmarts here in southeast Minnesota. I think the limit is 2 nights.

3. Vickie

Vickie Member

Yep it's true. They actually welcome people in motorhomes. You are bound to buy something.

4. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Some have a sign posted against it. Usually it is an older one with a small parking lot or in a high traffic tourist site. I remember one for sure near Rapid City SD. We have stayed over night more than a few times especially when we are getting in late and/or leaving early. We usually buy something for breakfast or a late snack so we are a customer not just a freeloader. We spend too much on Walmart anyway.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

We use the Super Walmarts all the time, if signs are posted for no overnight parking, go in and ask the duty manager if you can stay the night...The sign is usually there to discourage the big trucks...I have never been turned away...

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I hace stayed at many WalMarts in my motorhome. It's ok as long as your at the far end of any parking lot.

blade819

7. Jolene

Jolene TS Member

We stay at Walmarts all the time when we travel from MA to FL and back. Go to Walmart.com and down the book that list all the stores in each state that allow you to stay. It gives directions from each interstate. They use to have a book that you could order, but now it is just on the internet to down load. We have been using it for about 8 or 9 years now. You really should stay only one night, but we have stayed two. No out side grilling and things like that. Use it only to sleep and shop and be on the road again. We have never had any problem. Pat and Clayton Dill

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Agree with all the above, have spent a few nights in WM parking lots, way out at the end so as not to interfere with other traffic. Also some Cracker Barrels allow overnighters, nice to get up & go in for a nice hot breakfast. Ross Puls

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I've heard the etiquette is to go in and inform the manager then it's all good.

10. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Just another way for the Wall Marts to push the little guy out of business. What about the the Mom and Pop owned campgrounds, ever thought about supporting them???

11. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

You can thank fisherman for Walmart allowing motorhome parking. Walmart sponsors the FLW bass fishing tour and they made this policy so that when the fisherman would get into town late they could stay in the parking lot.

12. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Kevin56 - mom and pop campgrounds are one of the reasons we're getting rid of the 5th wheel - level sites that are anything but level, pull through sites that were promised but aren't there when you pull in, filthy showers and rest rooms, etc, etc etc. I don't want to "camp" in a Walmart parking lot - just looking for a place to pull off for a few hours and then hit the road.

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Indeed you can. Our local Walmart if full of motorhomes come tourist season. Many of the local campgrounds are either full, substandard and overpriced.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This only proves once again that if WalMart don't have it you probably won't need it ... Thanks for your support ... Some of the WalMarts that post signs about no overnight parking are from a local ordinance and they are told to post them, unless as jagrdawger said the parking lot is to small to hold the customers and campers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Check out the web site.. I also saw a book at a SAMBOREE on Walmart parking.. The only bad thing I have heard is some bozo dumped grey water at one store... ID10T's are everywhere... Happy trails Grubby

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try KOA and call ahead and you will have your pull through with those items that you feel you need. Just off all the major interstates. Plan your trip accordingly.

To much crap goes on in to many Walmart lots.

Don

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I see big pushers and other RVs in my local Walmart lot all the time. Pretty obvious these are folks just passing through. They park at the outer edge of the lot and aren't in anyone's way.

Good deal for both parties, I'm sure the travelers use the layover time to stock up on whatever they need.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Don is partially right, they busted a guy for running a house of ill repute on wheels in a WalMart parking lot ... It became obvious because that Prevost seemed to out of place and was there for 3 days, then the same guy never answered the door when they knocked on it ... The one guy told the Police when they locked him up not to buy the gum in the men's rest room because it tastes like rubber ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I was once told by a WM manager that the city ordanance about parking was all bull,WM told the city fathers this is private property and we will allow our customers and friends to stay overnight if they wish.
    If your not sure, just check with the on duty manager...

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Flying J's have served my purpose for the past 10 years. Pilots don't have the accomadations for RV's.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.