1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MOTORHOME.. pusher or puller?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have been looking at a motorhome for our trap meets.. Not ever having owned one, I dont know whether to buy a diesel pusher class A or a v10 gas class C.. the class c sleeps more but most seem to have gas motors, I like the class A's but they usually only sleep 4, most of the time it will be my wife and I and 3 chillens.. thanks!

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pushers are MUCH easier to drive and you have no motor noise when you are driving. Get an Allison Transmission, they are are the brains of the drivetrain.

Don

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Research the brake failures in Workhorse chassis before buying a motorhome built on one. See the NHTSA recall file.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Allegro (Tiffin motorhomes) makes both a Front engine diesel (puller) and rear engine diesel (pusher) check out their web site. Depends how much money you want to spend but diesel give you more of everything.

Don

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've had them all. Buy a diesel pusher with the Allison transmission as someone said. Make sure the unit has an exhaust brake or "Jake" type breaking system, built in. I prefer air brakes as the standard braking system, others don't. Buy as big as you can afford. Even the biggest get small after a couple of weeks, and everyone bumping into each other.

6. VNVET

VNVET Member

Never owned one of these diesel rigs but the big 40 ft rigs look like fuel hogs. Nothing aerodynamic to help with the wind resistance up front. If you're pulling a tow car, I'm guessing 6 MPG. Does that sound about right?

I guess since I'm asking about the cost to run one, that means I can't afford to own one. That would be true.

Jim

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

A neighbor has a beautiful 45' diesel pusher for sale that will certainly hold your wife and children. Asking around $400,000. What a machine! PM me if you want details.

8. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

VNVET said ------> Never owned one of these diesel rigs but the big 40 ft rigs look like fuel hogs.

Let me clear up this statement. A 40' diesel rig can and will get as good if not better MPG than a gas 35' rig.

If someone is looking to buy a RV and is concerned about fuel cost than they should not be in the market for an RV.

As to the OP question, buy what works best for you. You can get a lot of RV for less $$ when you go older and there is nothing wrong with older. I have owned both and a diesel pusher was my choice this time around.

NOTE: Some RV parks will not let anything older than 10 years in their parks.

Class A's will sleep 2 adults and 3 kids depending on the floor plan, I have never been a fan of Class C's so I don't have too much to say on that subject. Question you have to ask yourself is how many trips per year will you make in your RV???? How many years you you expect to oqn your RV?? Do the math, might be cheaper to rent.

I only do a few trips a year in mine but I use it several times a year to spend weekends in as it is relocated in a RV park close to my dad which is 8 hrs away from my house. Nice to drive up and visit pops and have my own bed and place to stay.

My 13 year old RV sold new for $138,000 and I got it for $48,000. It's a buyers market out there.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Dennis

9. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

The only experience i have with the big pushers is a lady that i drive for has a monster that she pulls a stacker trailer with to the horseshows. With a 600 cummins and an allison in the back it will leave me still running gears in her peterbilt. this coach is awsome but i think it was over a million new. My FIL has a decent sized coach with a V10 and hasn't had a problem out of it. Between me, my parents and a friend of mine I have been around several V10's and they are a bulletproof motor. If you go with a pusher be sure to have valves installed to stop off lines to the front and the aqua-hot system if equipped. these lines carry water to the front for heat/defrost and tend to blow regularly. with the valves you can bypass the lines, still have water for radator and keep going. Without, well it was a long,longgggg day.

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
car pullers for rvs

diesel puller motorhomes

diesel puller motorhomes for sale

diesel puller rv motorhomes class c

diesel pullers rv

diesel pusher vs diesel puller

pusher or puller class a
pusher vs puller